Clunk From Driver Front Wheel (U-Joint or Wheel Bearing?)

JHammett

It doesn't go any faster...
Supporting Member
Hi,

I have attached a video below of a clunk/knock I am hearing when going slow coming from the front driver wheel area. I assume the noise is there at higher speeds as well just less noticeable due to other louder noises (wind resistance, humming MTs). In the video I am coasting with the motor off to get rid of as much sound as I can. Hopefully you can hear the clunking. Sorry for the IPhone quality video.

A bit of context, I recently put in new axle shafts from Revolution so I pressed new Spicer U-Joints in as well as put in new ball joints and new Timken wheel bearings (while also putting in the BMB Big Brake kit). Is it possible that I messed the U-Joint up or have a faulty wheel bearing?

Any other ideas?

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7819.MOV
    22.4 MB
I swapped the front wheels this morning and it seems to now be louder on the passenger side, which I would guess means that tire needs to be rebalanced. Will take it in later today to get them to rebalance.

Good move-

All Tj front shafts also need to be maintained- if you ever hear it squeak pull it.

I just got the front tires rebalanced and I can still hear the sound when coasting at slow speeds. I am posting a Video below of spinning the front tire with it jacked up. Let me know if you see or hear anything out of the ordinary. I do have an Auto locker up front.

Attachments

• IMG_7820.MOV
    26.7 MB
Found the culprit. The passenger axle shaft u joint had a little bit of play in it. I was sure it was the driver’s side where the noise was coming from so I never checked the other side. All is good now.

Found the culprit. The passenger axle shaft u joint had a little bit of play in it. I was sure it was the driver’s side where the noise was coming from so I never checked the other side. All is good now.

Interesting you found "A little bit of play in the passenger side axle shaft U joint". In Post #1 you stated you installed new Spicer axle U joints with the Revolution axles. There shouldn't have been play in the U joint unless there are some need bearings missing inside the U joint cup or the ears on the axles are out of spec.

I also found this interesting. I took the u-joint out yesterday expecting it to be missing needle bearings, but all were there undamaged, clean and greased. I then checked the rest of the u joint and everything seemed in perfect order, so I repressed it in and reinstalled the c clips.

If this happens again I will maybe try another u joint (I have a brand new spare 5-760x on my workbench) or reach out to Revolution. Perhaps the ears are marginally too wide allowing the caps on the u joint to slip. These are the Spicer 5-760x u joints that come with the Revolution shafts.

I am hoping that I installed this poorly last time. I know I was in a rush when I was pressing them because I was late for something. I just can't imagine that I would have installed it with the amount of play it had when I removed the shaft last night. I think it would have been noticeable.