Clutch flywheel question

Moe

Went to test drive a 2002 wrangler yesterday. The 5speed was in neutral position and it sounded like the clutch was trying to engage. When I depressed the clutch pedal the sound went away. I searched and could only find posts about people wanting to know how to change the engagement point of their clutch pedal. However this is more of a question of maybe a misalignment or something??? The vehicle did not try to lunge or anything (which now that I write this I realize in N it would not have). BUT anything anyone can think of that may cause this? It is one of the only reasonably priced wrangler in my area right now since the warm weather is supposed to be here any day. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

What sound makes you believe the clutch was trying to engage with the transmission in Neutral? A whirring sound with the transmission in Neutral and the clutch pedal up in its normal resting position is normal, it's from the normal sounds of the transmission shaft spinning in its bearings.

What sound makes you believe the clutch was trying to engage with the transmission in Neutral? A whirring sound with the transmission in Neutral and the clutch pedal up in its normal resting position is normal, it's from the normal sounds of the transmission shaft spinning in its bearings.
I have had four TJs in the past 6 years and this is something I have never experienced before. And the fact that it goes away when I pushed the clutch in to the floor made me think something may be making premature contact.

I have had four TJs in the past 6 years and this is something I have never experienced before. And the fact that it goes away when I pushed the clutch in to the floor made me think something may be making premature contact.
Pushing the clutch pedal to the floor disconnects the engine from the transmission which causes the transmission's input shaft to stop spinning which silences its spinning sounds like from its bearings. :)

Reactions: KCsTJ