Clutch interlock switch safety recall

KillerIsMe

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Out of the blue I got a safety recall yesterday from Mopar for the clutch interlock switch on my '06 TJ. Being a natural skeptic I am naturally skeptical. The recall is not in the form of a letter in an envelope like we've gotten in the past from Ford, Honda, Jayco, etc. Instead it's one of those glossy 5 X 7 ad-type cards you get from LeafFilter or Window Wizards or something with my local Jeep dealership's logo on the front. Also, apparently my vehicle is eligible for a free two month trial of SiriusXM! Anyone else get this? I figure I'm not the only owner of a 2006 Wrangler with a manual transmission.

Instead it's one of those glossy 5 X 7 ad-type cards you get from LeafFilter or Window Wizards or something with my local Jeep dealership's logo on the front.
Have you had work done on your TJ at that dealership?

Out of the blue I got a safety recall yesterday from Mopar for the clutch interlock switch on my '06 TJ. Being a natural skeptic I am naturally skeptical. The recall is not in the form of a letter in an envelope like we've gotten in the past from Ford, Honda, Jayco, etc. Instead it's one of those glossy 5 X 7 ad-type cards you get from LeafFilter or Window Wizards or something with my local Jeep dealership's logo on the front. Also, apparently my vehicle is eligible for a free two month trial of SiriusXM! Anyone else get this? I figure I'm not the only owner of a 2006 Wrangler with a manual transmission.
Sounds like they are FISHING..... with an old recall as bait....

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If the recall hasn't been done, they will keep sending you the cards. I have lost count of how many they have sent me.

You can see the recalls for your Jeep on jeep.com

Ran a pre-purchase CarFax on my '06 LJR manual and found a safety recall for the Neutral Safety Switch, or clutch switch for manual I guess. For snicks I cranked the starter while in Reverse and sure enough, the Jeep jumped. I made an appointment with the local dealer to get it fixed, on them of course. Going in on the 27th.
You folks might already be aware of this but if not, it's worth checking.

I can get the recall number if someone wants it.

I found out about this a couple of months after I bought my '06 last year. Local stealership took care of it, no probs...

52.jpg

..and now I see YouTube videos telling HOW to do the bypass intentionally and why. Didn't watch entire video but enough to hear that the 'how-to' is in the owner's manual for '06. I'll be going there.
1. Deep water dead engine you can still start/move the Jeep w/o depressing the clutch and sucking water.
2. Starter crank dead engine to move off the trail.

Better keep the keys away from kids.. yikes!

..and now I see YouTube videos telling HOW to do the bypass intentionally and why. Didn't watch entire video but enough to hear that the 'how-to' is in the owner's manual for '06. I'll be going there.
1. Deep water dead engine you can still start/move the Jeep w/o depressing the clutch and sucking water.
2. Starter crank dead engine to move off the trail.

Better keep the keys away from kids.. yikes!
On a Rubicon, you put it in 4L and it automatically bypasses the clutch switch.

If you want to bypass it all the time, all you have to do is jumper the switch.

On a Rubicon, you put it in 4L and it automatically bypasses the clutch switch.

If you want to bypass it all the time, all you have to do is jumper the switch.
I did that on my old F-250, and probably will eventually on the Jeep. Americans and their interlocks - almost every vehicle I've ever owned or been involved with did NOT have a clutch interlock. Kind of dangerous and certainly stupid mis-feature. I can't even remember how many times I've needed to move a vehicle with the starter!

Rubicon does not have the Clutch Interlock feature but bypassed from the factory. Non-Rubicon add fuse to slot 28, lower Left in photo to bypass COS.
The recall must be Rubicon models only. Maybe the feds dislike us controlling something.
So, it's a feature, not a flaw.

PXL_20211019_163938600.jpg

PXL_20211019_164246154.MP.jpg

Last edited:
I did that on my old F-250, and probably will eventually on the Jeep. Americans and their interlocks - almost every vehicle I've ever owned or been involved with did NOT have a clutch interlock. Kind of dangerous and certainly stupid mis-feature. I can't even remember how many times I've needed to move a vehicle with the starter!
Yeah, the 06 is the first vehicle I've dealt with that had one. 92 doesn't. None of the tractors or trucks around my grandparent's farm had any interlocks yrs ago.

Rubicon does not have the Clutch Interlock feature but bypassed from the factory. Non-Rubicon add fuse to slot 28, lower right in photo to bypass COS.
The recall must be Rubicon models only. Maybe the feds dislike us controlling something.
So, it's a feature, not a flaw.

View attachment 284781

View attachment 284782
All of them have the clutch switch. Recall applies to all to fix the switch.

Yeah, the 06 is the first vehicle I've dealt with that had one. 92 doesn't. None of the tractors or trucks around my grandparent's farm had any interlocks yrs ago.
Eggactly! I was taught to push the clutch in on startup anyway, just to reduce rotating mass to make the starter's job a bit easier. When I installed the switch bypass on the F-250 ("Scotch-Tap"), I saw where the previous owner had done the exact same thing, but it had been removed by the dealership. I was even able to use the exact slits still in the wire insulation!

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Only the non Rubicons have the fuse overide of the clutch switch.

Rubicons have the transfer case overide of the clutch switch.

They all have the same switch on the clutch and they are all recalled.

My interlock switch works as intended, except when I put the fuse in the Clutch override receptacle, the interlock is still activated. I.e. I can't disable the interlock and crank with the clutch out.

I just saw this thread and according to mopar.com, my Jeep had the recall repair.

Any way they could have removed the bypass option and made the interlock permanent?