ljmcgeahy

So I’ve had this problem going on for a while but it’s been off and on. I have 1998 2.5 liter with 72000 miles and the clutch is making a growling noise when idling. When I engage the clutch it goes quite but is still slightly there. It doesn’t have any problems changing gears but the noise it makes has slowly been getting worse I feel. Also now when it is off and I engage the clutch it makes this pop noise. This is my first car and I’m learning to work on it along the way and I don’t know much about clutches so I don’t know what’s going on with it. Any ideas on what is happening? I really appreciate the help

Found this on another site, but it may be of help:

The Clutch Release Bearing
This applies force to the release levers or fingers. In doing so, the release bearing disengages the clutch. The release bearing is designed to operate with minimum friction between the rotating and stationary points of contact. If noise develops from the bell housing area, a few checks can be done.

Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.

A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Always make sure that all other components are in good condition. Check the clutch linkage for binding or mis-adjustments. Check clutch pedal free play and pedal reserve for proper setting. Check the clutch fork and input shafts for proper alignment.

Reactions: ljmcgeahy
The clutch-release bearing isn't being used when the clutch is engaged (foot off the pedal). Usually the only symptoms of a bad throwout bearing are a squeal when you press down on the clutch pedal (disengaged). Jeep transmissions typically make a growling/bearing sound when idling in neutral; it's just the engine spinning the input shaft bearings. There is practically no soundproofing in the TJ so you hear everything.

That said, I'm familiar with the NV3550 in the 4.0, not your AX-5. I'd suggest using some Redline MT-90 if the gear oil hasn't been changed in a while. If the noise does get worse, i'd guess your input shaft bearing is on its way out.