Clutch Pedal Flop

Sponge

Supporting Member
My daughter called me stranded at school the clutch was just flopping…

I run over to see what happened, and the push rod from the linkage came out of the firewall that goes into the clutch…

Guessing she caught her foot and pulled it up too far to pull it up out of the firewall?

Shouldn’t there be a pin to prevent this?

This happened to me a while ago. The rod managed to come out of the slave cylinder and fell to the floor. I got it back in just fine, but the two 'fingers' in the slave cylinder that snap the rod into place had maybe loosened or bent back enough that they weren't holding it in. I replaced the slave cylinder.

This happened to me a while ago. The rod managed to come out of the slave cylinder and fell to the floor. I got it back in just fine, but the two 'fingers' in the slave cylinder that snap the rod into place had maybe loosened or bent back enough that they weren't holding it in. I replaced the slave cylinder.

Yeah it slid right back in and works fine…bizarre

If it popped out once, it'll pop out again if it is pulled at all. You can partially disassemble the slave cylinder and bend the retaining fingers back in place if they aren't broken, but you'll end up having to bleed the system once it is reassembled.

Replacing the slave cylinder is the only guaranteed fix, especially if one of the retaining fingers is broken. It costs a few bucks, but its an extremely easy job that should take like 30 mins.

Reactions: Sponge
If it popped out once, it'll pop out again if it is pulled at all. You can partially disassemble the slave cylinder and bend the retaining fingers back in place if they aren't broken, but you'll end up having to bleed the system once it is reassembled.

Replacing the slave cylinder is the only guaranteed fix, especially if one of the retaining fingers is broken. It costs a few bucks, but its an extremely easy job that should take like 30 mins.

Great - thanks

Y'all keep saying the slave cylinder, but if the rod fell out onto the floorboard, you're talking about the master. The slave is the one that bolts up to the bell housing and actually engages the clutch fork. Regardless, replacing the entire thing (slave and master) with a pre-bled system will cost you about $100 and 45 minutes.

Source: did the job about 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: TJ Jim
My clutch pedal is almost to the floor and tuff to get into gear. fluid is good in cylinder.
Any thoughts?
20230915_215327.jpg