Clutch question

Rob5589

Certified video trained differential rebuilder
Supporting Member
Sounds like the throw out bearing is going bad, kind of rattly and some squeaks with the clutch depressed. And today I noticed a "bump" when placed into gear. Clutch pedal is out, trans in neutral, then depress pedal and place into gear I can feel a slight bump or jerk forward. It is slight but obviously enough to feel. 103k on it, far as I know.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I can feel the Jeep itself bump forward. Nothing in the stick or pedal. I also get a bit of grumble in the same position but has been there since I bought it.

I replaced mine at 120K. TO bearing was making a nasty noise and the clutch pedal was getting hard to depress. Mine would lurch forward like that too. NV3550 trany.

Reactions: Rob5589
When my throwout bearing was bad, it would grumble in neutral, clutch out. Do you feel the bump in the clutch pedal or the gear shift lever?
It's not the throwout bearing making that noise. Throwout bearings only spin when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. What you're hearing in neutral with the clutch out are the normal sounds of the transmission's input shaft being spun by the engine.

It's not the throwout bearing making that noise. Throwout bearings only spin when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. What you're hearing in neutral with the clutch out are the normal sounds of the transmission's input shaft being spun by the engine.
Not necessarily true. I recently replaced my clutch, multiple ppl told me it wasn't the throw out because of the noise when not pressing pedal. My bearing was wasted, somehow it was spinning at all times. Noise is gone now
20170506_134056.jpg