Clutch won’t disengage

WDE

TJ Enthusiast
2000 TJ 4.0 5 speed NV3550

I went to start the Jeep tonight, in gear with the clutch depressed, and it lurched forward. I immediately ceased the attempt to start and thought WTF. Double checked myself, clutch in, did the same thing again. Started it in neutral with no problem, but it would not go into gear with the clutch pedal depressed. Abandoned the Jeep in my driveway and took the truck to get beer.

Clutch exploded about 2-3 years ago and was replaced, along with master and slave cylinders. I have had no problems since and no recent indications of a clutch problem. I last drove it a week ago and everything was fine. No puddles or leaks under it. Clutch pedal has good pressure and feels exactly the same as when it was working.

Any ideas what to look at tomorrow?

Thanks

Happened to me once a few years ago after a hard week of southwest fl rain... can’t recall exactly what the Jeep enthusiast mechanic at work said- but that it was likely the clutch plate stuck to the flywheel from some rust from all the rain and not driven for ten days (it never happened again since)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to me once a few years ago after a hard week of southwest fl rain... can’t recall exactly what the Jeep enthusiast mechanic at work said- but that it was likely the clutch plate stuck to the flywheel from some rust from all the rain and not driven for ten days (it never happened again since)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah fluids were good. I tried the next day and it came free when I stood on the brake while cranking. It’s working normally again. I normally keep it in the garage, but we just moved and the garage was full. It sat outside in very humid and rainy weather for over a week.

Jeep Wrangler 2000 TJ, 64000 miles, 4.0 L 5-speed transmission. Anyone have an answer for this question, I'm on my third clutch in 10 years. Every time we pull one out it looks like it's been sitting at the bottom of the sea for a months. This problem can occurs on just humid days without rain. Getting ready to purchase a new bell housing and replace the clutch for the fourth time. Where the heck is this water be coming from?

Jeep Wrangler 2000 TJ, 64000 miles, 4.0 L 5-speed transmission. Anyone have an answer for this question, I'm on my third clutch in 10 years. Every time we pull one out it looks like it's been sitting at the bottom of the sea for a months. This problem can occurs on just humid days without rain. Getting ready to purchase a new bell housing and replace the clutch for the fourth time. Where the heck is this water be coming from?
Humidity, splash-up from wet roads when it rains, and that the clutch mechanism is not sealed against moisture.

Mine does the same after it sits. It’s just rusting and basically getting stuck to the flywheel. Just start it in gear and shut it off quick.(that usually fixes mine) if it’s real bad start it in gear and drive it a bit and ride the clutch as much as possible, that will clean the clutch disc and flywheel.

Had that happen on an old XJ when I was down in FL. If I let it sit for more than a couple weeks I'd have to mess with the brakes to get it unstuck. So far no problems with the TJ out here in dry-ass Utah.