Cobra 75 WX ST Thoughts?

BuildBreakRepeat

Occasional Genius
Supporting Member
I’m looking to get a new CB after my old radio shack special finally died. I’m looking for thoughts/opinions on this cobra remote setup. I think it could be really nice in the small space of my TJ. Comes packed with features that seem interesting - check it out:
3FFB72D8-7D0E-45F5-B194-27B44959ABAC.jpeg
FEEAF546-CD38-4FF0-B142-DAB158E477E4.jpeg
BFAE8ED7-E6E7-449A-8BA5-B41D0C00CB37.jpeg

It's not a bad radio, but take a look at the Midland 75-822. It's the same type of 'all in the mic' radio, but it does not have the large square thing that has to be hidden/mounted like the Cobra and it's almost 1/2 the price..
Both are good, the Midland is smaller/more simple.. Both have just as much power/output of a large, fancy, more expensive radio with more knobs, but both also suffer from a small/not super-loud speaker so if you are deaf or drive topless on the freeway and try to listen to the CB, that could be an issue..

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
It's not a bad radio, but take a look at the Midland 75-822. It's the same type of 'all in the mic' radio, but it does not have the large square thing that has to be hidden/mounted like the Cobra and it's almost 1/2 the price..
Both are good, the Midland is smaller/more simple.. Both have just as much power/output of a large, fancy, more expensive radio with more knobs, but both also suffer from a small/not super-loud speaker so if you are deaf or drive topless on the freeway and try to listen to the CB, that could be an issue..
Thank you for the feedback and well as recommendation! My Jeep is very quiet on the road (I can almost whisper to the passenger and be heard) but when topless/off-roading I don’t want the sound to get lost.

I've heard from several people that the output volume leaves much to be desired.
I’m looking to get a new CB after my old radio shack special finally died. I’m looking for thoughts/opinions on this cobra remote setup. I think it could be really nice in the small space of my TJ. Comes packed with features that seem interesting - check it out:View attachment 135890View attachment 135891View attachment 135892
It does the job and works as expected. Mine came with an external speaker but never set it up. Sound is fine. I had an issue with my unit recently and customer service fixed it no questions asked. Cord was damaged. I use mine only on the trail when we aren’t using Hamm which I prefer.

I don’t have one but was thinking of getting one for my tow rig since my friend has one for his and really likes it, but I may also look at the midland one since I didn’t know it existed until now

I’m looking to get a new CB after my old radio shack special finally died. I’m looking for thoughts/opinions on this cobra remote setup. I think it could be really nice in the small space of my TJ. Comes packed with features that seem interesting - check it out:View attachment 135890View attachment 135891View attachment 135892
I've had one for years and really like it. It takes up little room and I mounted an external speaker up on the roll bar behind and between the driver and passenger.

This ^ I use one and like it but the speaker sucks. You can run an aux cable from the unit to your head unit to use the Jeep's audio speakers or to an inexpensive external speaker.
I always considered adding a speaker but hadn’t considered routing through my stereo. I think I’ll give that a try.

I always considered adding a speaker but hadn’t considered routing through my stereo. I think I’ll give that a try.
Worked great with my old head unit but then I fried it at the car wash :) My new head unit doesn't seem to like the CB's output for some reason. Aux cables are cheap so no reason not to try it.

I have had two Cobra 75 WX ST CB's. The first one I destroyed many years ago by letting the hand unit fall to the steel floor of my CJ-7 one too many times. The other is currently mounted in my Xterra.

I used an external speaker in my CJ-7. A speaker is unnecessary in the Xterra and would probably be unnecessary in a jeep with soft or hard top depending on where the hand set is mounted.

As far as durability is concerned, the demise of my first Cobra 75 was totally user error. I've had my current Cobra 75 about 5 years and it works as well today as it did when it was new.

Some say the performance is weak compared to other units, but my Cobra 75 WX ST works just as well as the Uniden Pro520XL CB that I have mounted in my LJ. Contrary to popular belief, the Cobra 75 can be tuned for a true 4 watt output and the gain can be adjusted somewhat.

Mine’s just ok, not reliable. Ive already sent it back once. Sometimes I can transmit but not hear back. Something is intermittently wrong.

Nothing to do with tuning or mounting location/ground?
First time I had trouble with the wires where the cord connects to the box. I tried to solder the wires back to no avail. Fortunately, more than a year after purchase, Cobra accepted the return and repaired it. I do probably need to check the tuning again and have been meaning to.

I do like the non-obtrusiveness of the unit. id send a pic, but it’s 4:50am. 🤣

Take a look at the Uniden CMX760 Bearcat. I am thinking about going this route. I've had both of the others, wasn't too happy with either.

After further study, the Bearcat 760 doesn't have too many good reviews. They say the 560 is a much better radio.

I might go back to the Midland 75-822 as it would be easier to conceal when not in use and you have the advantage of having a handheld as well. Maybe it has improved since 2007!

Last edited:
Seems like a crap shoot. I started looking into the unidens as well but after reading reviews, it seems like the cobra is still the number one go to especially since the only real issue is in regards to the sound which is an easy remedy.

Take a look at the Uniden CMX760 Bearcat. I am thinking about going this route. I've had both of the others, wasn't too happy with either.

After further study, the Bearcat 760 doesn't have too many good reviews. They say the 560 is a much better radio.

I might go back to the Midland 75-822 as it would be easier to conceal when not in use and you have the advantage of having a handheld as well. Maybe it has improved since 2007!