Code P0133 and slow response

Pedro Sanchez

Hello guys

My lj 4.0 is giving me that code but i was searching in the forum and it means O2 sensor(bank 1 sensor1) i replaced the sensor with a ntk sensor and the code still coming back after a few runs.

I checked and i have no exhaust leaks. the jeep had a recall pending ang i sent it to the dealer to fix the recall and i asked them to check the code, they said that i need all 4 o2 sensor (600 dollar with labor) and also they said after that maybe the code come back if the catalitic converted is the problem. They don't know anything.

I told them the code only shows one sensor why i have to paid for all 4?
I told the advisor ok just change the O2 1 bank 1 and they said is gonne be 350 that makes no sense.

I find out and the sensor cost is 52 with my friends account.

What to do?

IMG_8938.JPG

Last edited:
What year LJ? The NTK Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor for my '04 is $22 on Amazon.com

Edit: I see you have an '05, I'll try to find it on Amazon for you.

And yes, a bad cat can cause an erroneous O2 sensor code. I had intermittent misfires with the CELs pointing at O2 sensors and all that went away when my cats were replaced after one failed completely.

Jerry is correct. You can't replace them individually, you have to replace the entire down-pipe setup.

The good thing is that at around $300, it's not really all that bad of a hit. Considering some vehicles have cats that are over $1000 each.

Hell, the CARB compliant Walker cat (for Wrangler owners in California) is $500+!

One more question is the catalitic is the problem why the sensor taht the computer said is wrong is the precat, it should be the postcat.
You just completely confused me. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the upstream (pre-cat) location. Why are you now saying it should be the downstream (post-cat)??

Yes i know is upstream but my question is why the code refers to an 02 located upstream if the cat is after that sensor.
When we refer to upstream or downstream, we're referring to the O2 sensors, not the pre-cats.

When stuff (exhaust gases) flows, it starts from upstream and flows downstream. From the engine the exhaust gases flow down through the upstream (upper) O2 sensor first, then down through the pre-cat, then lastly down through the downstream (bottom) O2 sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris