Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Code P0462 won’t go away.

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ, it has been throwing P0462. Replaced the fuel pump twice and it is still throwing that code. Jeep dealer and multiple shops say

The last one I replaced it with was a Bosche and still nothing.

I suspect it may be the sending unit?
Went over all wiring and there is no short anywhere.

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
The fuel sending unit isn't sending the right signal to the PCM. Could be the sender, wiring or the PCM. What did they replace, pump or the whole unit? The sender is part of the pump assembly. I'd check the wiring first from the connector at the gas tank all the way forward.

OP
ObedaTJ

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The fuel sending unit isn't sending the right signal to the PCM. Could be the sender, wiring or the PCM. What did they replace, pump or the whole unit? The sender is part of the pump assembly. I'd check the wiring first from the connector at the gas tank all the way forward.
They replaced the whole sending unit.
They’re saying it could be a bad pigtail

OP
ObedaTJ

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone, fortunate and unfortunate news. Around January the mechanic I go to had removed the code and the gas gauge was working fine, turned out to be a pinched wire somewhere. The Jeep was excellent for a while, till a month ago.

The code is back and the same problem is occurring. No gas gauge whatsoever, unless you erase the codes. This time my mechanic went over all the wiring, nothing. Fuel pump, nothing. So then he suggested I replace the instrument cluster, after finally finding one, we order it, replace it, nothing. We’re now waiting for @Wranglerfix PCM to arrive and see if the PCM is the problem, which as the manual states if all else fails the PCM is the problem.

Me and my father are suspecting that maybe the unsuccessful remote start that the previous owner installed has something to do with this. If I don’t turn on the Jeep for more than 3 days, it’ll die. So I know there’s a power leak somewhere, just don’t know where.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: Wranglerfix

AndyG

TJ Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey everyone, fortunate and unfortunate news. Around January the mechanic I go to had removed the code and the gas gauge was working fine, turned out to be a pinched wire somewhere. The Jeep was excellent for a while, till a month ago.

The code is back and the same problem is occurring. No gas gauge whatsoever, unless you erase the codes. This time my mechanic went over all the wiring, nothing. Fuel pump, nothing. So then he suggested I replace the instrument cluster, after finally finding one, we order it, replace it, nothing. We’re now waiting for @Wranglerfix PCM to arrive and see if the PCM is the problem, which as the manual states if all else fails the PCM is the problem.

Me and my father are suspecting that maybe the unsuccessful remote start that the previous owner installed has something to do with this. If I don’t turn on the Jeep for more than 3 days, it’ll die. So I know there’s a power leak somewhere, just don’t know where.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

My advice is to take Marks’ advice- he will be an ally in solving this-

I would certainly been going over the wiring with a fine tooth comb and getting anything off the vehicle that doesn’t belong on it- One thing you have to be very careful about is where things are tapped into because the wiring is a little bit non intuitive on these- you cant just tap in anywhere without some drama happening at times.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
OP
ObedaTJ

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My advice is to take Marks’ advice- he will be an ally in solving this-

I would certainly been going over the wiring with a fine tooth comb and getting anything off the vehicle that doesn’t belong on it- One thing you have to be very careful about is where things are tapped into because the wiring is a little bit non intuitive on these- you cant just tap in anywhere without some drama happening at times.

Yes that is the current plan. Will be removing the remote starter/alarm before I put in the new PCM.

Reactions: Moglocker

HancockcountyTJ

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ, it has been throwing P0462. Replaced the fuel pump twice and it is still throwing that code. Jeep dealer and multiple shops say

The last one I replaced it with was a Bosche and still nothing.

I suspect it may be the sending unit?
Went over all wiring and there is no short anywhere.

Check your fuel level sensor

OP
ObedaTJ

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Bad news, @Wranglerfix PCM came and did not fix my issue. However, after driving it a couple of miles down the road I think I will keep it due to my (42RLE) shifting wayyyyy smoother and the good things everyone has to say about Mark.

At this point I am convinced that there is an open wire or something somewhere. I am disappointed that this being the last step in the manual did not fix this issue, however not disappointed with my new PCM. I am confident that the right mechanic will find the problem, and I can bet the issue is smaller than it seems, just hard to find. I will be sending it off to a highly-rated shop on Monday and hope they can fix this once and for all. I am trying to do other things to this Jeep and this is just stalling my build.