Code P0462 won't go away

you can send the pcm into me and I will run it through a drive cycle again. The code was not present in my Jeep when the drive cycle was completed.

@mrblaine @AndyG @Jerry Bransford

Could you possibly lend us some insight as to what could be causing this code in his Jeep?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

you can send the pcm into me and I will run it through a drive cycle again. The code was not present in my Jeep when the drive cycle was completed.

@mrblaine @AndyG @Jerry Bransford

Could you possibly lend us some insight as to what could be causing this code in his Jeep?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Okay, I will call you tomorrow to send it back in, let me know if anything comes up. If not, Ill stop bugging you about this. Thanks

Thats a fuel sensor code, If it’s not the PCM or wiring - you may end up having to drop the tank and see what’s going on back there.

It would be good to be able to test continuity on that circuit if anybody knows how to locate it -

Okay, I will call you tomorrow to send it back in, let me know if anything comes up. If not, Ill stop bugging you about this. Thanks

you are not bugging me at all. I just tagged three people that know a Helluva lot more than I do about wrangler quirks.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
Thats a fuel sensor code, If it’s not the PCM or wiring - you may end up having to drop the tank and see what’s going on back there.

It would be good to be able to test continuity on that circuit if anybody knows how to locate it -

The fuel pump assembly had been replaced with a Delphi unit and currently a Bosch unit. Is it possible that both units were DOA and this problem could in fact be the fuel pump?

Is there anyway I can get a replacement just to be on the safer side? My mechanic shop will not do further testing unless they replace the PCM.

I believe you, and I believe that your PCM is a good product. However like I said, they are refusing to do any other work on it unless the PCM is replaced.

That's good, really good. I like those types of ultimatums because they are very easy to negotiate. No problem, Mark will send me a new PCM gladly.
If you install it and the same code comes back, then all the work you've done up to now is free as is the repair to get off your ass and find the NON PCM related issue.

The fuel pump assembly had been replaced with a Delphi unit and currently a Bosch unit. Is it possible that both units were DOA and this problem could in fact be the fuel pump?

Well it’s a little far out there but it could happen - most likely it’s between the pump and the PCM or at the cluster -

There’s a good chance that it’s just not a good connection back at the tank so it might be worth it to really look all that over again

That's good, really good. I like those types of ultimatums because they are very easy to negotiate. No problem, Mark will send me a new PCM gladly.
If you install it and the same code comes back, then all the work you've done up to now is free as is the repair to get off your ass and find the NON PCM related issue.

I don’t understand your reply but if you think I am trying to get a free replacement or something then you’re mistaken.

I have been arguing with the shop since this morning telling them I can guarantee that this is not a PCM related issue, but here’s why I would like a replacement. Or make it look like it was replaced. I personally think they are lazy and don’t actually care for fixing this. It’s been there since last Monday. They told me they are “very confident” it’s the PCM. They are also saying if I cannot have it replaced I can come pick it up tomorrow, pay about “8 hours of labor” for something they didn’t fix, and storage from last Monday because they were lazy. Honestly at this point I am considering just taking the PCM off for a couple days, taking it back to them so they can put it in themselves and making it look like it was replaced and get it over to another new shop

Well it’s a little far out there but it could happen - most likely it’s between the pump and the PCM or at the cluster -

There’s a good chance that it’s just not a good connection back at the tank so it might be worth it to really look all that over again

I will take your advice and drop the tank once more, thank you!

Diagnostically, the way you would go about this is with a known good pump from another rig. If the code still persists, then swap in a known good PCM from another vehicle that it has been run in without throwing the code. If the code is still there, it is not the PCM and it is not the pump. Rule those two out and start looking elsewhere. Testing a wire statically does not tell the story. It could easily be chafed and making momentary contact to ground and show good when not moving.

I don’t understand your reply but if you think I am trying to get a free replacement or something then you’re mistaken.

I have been arguing with the shop since this morning telling them I can guarantee that this is not a PCM related issue, but here’s why I would like a replacement. Or make it look like it was replaced. I personally think they are lazy and don’t actually care for fixing this. It’s been there since last Monday. They told me they are “very confident” it’s the PCM. They are also saying if I cannot have it replaced I can come pick it up tomorrow, pay about “8 hours of labor” for something they didn’t fix, and storage from last Monday because they were lazy. Honestly at this point I am considering just taking the PCM off for a couple days, taking it back to them so they can put it in themselves and making it look like it was replaced and get it over to another new shop

I don't think that at all. I think you are dealing with a lazy/inept shop with low diagnostic skills and I'm giving you a way to convince them to fish or cut bait.

As luck would have it, we are working on one to install an Atlas. It is immediately obvious that the loom is in sad shape and the risk of a chafed wire is very high.
1665086411274.png

1665086460876.png

1665086504342.png

We pull the harness up into the engine bay to inspect and redo the loom on it. This is what your shop will likely find eventually.

DSC00792.JPG

DSC00794.JPG

As luck would have it, we are working on one to install an Atlas. It is immediately obvious that the loom is in sad shape and the risk of a chafed wire is very high.
View attachment 364980

View attachment 364981

View attachment 364982
We pull the harness up into the engine bay to inspect and redo the loom on it. This is what your shop will likely find eventually.

View attachment 364983

View attachment 364984

Wow! You have no idea how much I appreciate that. Thank you!

So as it turns out, they weren't willing to be wrong and have the PCM replaced (again) to come up with the same code. They knew it would. The shop manager said "If it's not the PCM, you don't owe us a dime" I guess he went home and thought about that and called me today to say "Don't get the PCM replaced yet". They dropped the tank today after 12 days at their shop for the first time and said they are inspecting the wires there. I am sure once they stop being lazy they'll find it.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Wow! You have no idea how much I appreciate that. Thank you!

So as it turns out, they weren't willing to be wrong and have the PCM replaced (again) to come up with the same code. They knew it would. The shop manager said "If it's not the PCM, you don't owe us a dime" I guess he went home and thought about that and called me today to say "Don't get the PCM replaced yet". They dropped the tank today after 12 days at their shop for the first time and said they are inspecting the wires there. I am sure once they stop being lazy they'll find it.

I suspect they will find the chafe up by the back of the motor. The sender wires go to the PCM only. They go from the PCM to the gauge over the bus. That means the issue is likely between the PCM connector and the tank.

As it turns out, @Wranglerfix sent us a new PCM. Shop installed it and still have the same code. I doubt they actually checked the wiring properly but that’s another story for another day. They told me to take it to a Jeep dealership to get a “real” PCM and a “real Jeep fuel pump”. I am picking the Jeep up today and did not pay them. That part we both agree on.

Reactions: tr21triton
As it turns out, @Wranglerfix sent us a new PCM. Shop installed it and still have the same code. I doubt they actually checked the wiring properly but that’s another story for another day. They told me to take it to a Jeep dealership to get a “real” PCM and a “real Jeep fuel pump”. I am picking the Jeep up today and did not pay them. That part we both agree on.

The best part about that is Mark has the ability to turn that code off and defeat it returning. I would so have a hard time with any conversation where I was told to buy those two items. I'd really like to say I wouldn't throw rocks at them but I'm sure common sense in getting my rig out of there first would have saved the day.

The best part about that is Mark has the ability to turn that code off and defeat it returning. I would so have a hard time with any conversation where I was told to buy those two items. I'd really like to say I wouldn't throw rocks at them but I'm sure common sense in getting my rig out of there first would have saved the day.

Getting sick of these shops, making it seem like this Jeep is irreparable.

Finally found a good shop that would listen to me and take what I have to say about this issue seriously. I really feel relieved, was actually considering having to part ways with this before I could even start building it to my liking. We went over everything. I explained to him everything. He said the PCM seems very unlikely. Especially since Mark @Wranglerfix does a drive cycle on his Wrangler with the PCM before sending it out, to see if the code comes up and it didn't but it came up on my Jeep with three different computers. He went online and pulled up all the wiring diagrams for my Jeep (something none of the other shops did). He then said it's worth a shot to buy a Mopar original fuel module assembly to eliminate that as a possible cause. He then went on to say that he would be testing that one wire from the tank that goes into the PCM apart from the harness, taking a wire, running it from the tank and straight to the PCM to see if that works, if it does this is not a PCM issue or fuel pump issue and a wiring issue. If it does work, we are going to organize that wire, secure it and skip that wire in the harness, otherwise, we're gonna go crazy looking for it.

We will wait till Thursday when he is going to start working on it due to the number of vehicles in his shop.