Code P0562 low voltage / tranny shifting issues

JCam

Supporting Member
My son's 2005 Rubicon recently has been jumping out of gear and then going back in with no actions by the driver. A bit of research suggested that the automatic transmission fluid needed to be changed (12 years old and 67k miles). I had the transmission serviced this morning at the local Jeep dealership. New fluid,
filter and gasket were installed. When, I got in the Jeep to leave, the engine light was on. The dealer plugged in their scanner and the code was P0562 "System Low Voltage", they told me it was the battery and that it was ok to drive it to the auto parts store where I had just purchased a new battery in December. When I left, I noticed that the tranny would not shift. It was stuck in second gear. I returned to the dealership, they test drove it and said it was fine. When I got back in the Jeep, I noticed that they had cleared the P0562 code, and sure enough, it was shifting fine. I made it to the store and had the battery replaced and all was good until I got back in the Jeep from Lunch. The engine light was back on and the tranny was once again (and still is) stuck in second gear. Needless to say, I am reluctant to take it back to the dealership.

I have recently had the alternator checked and was told it was charging properly. Can someone help me figure this out?

Thank you in advance.

Jamie

Is that the only code kicking out? Go back to where you got the battery and have them pull the codes again.
JP - That is the only code. At the moment, the Jeep will only go into second gear with the code not cleared. It is resting in the garage until my wife gets home with the device to clear the code. If another number comes up when I plug in, I will post it to this thread.

Thank you for your help.

Jamie

JP - That is the only code. At the moment, the Jeep will only go into second gear with the code not cleared. It is resting in the garage until my wife gets home with the device to clear the code. If another number comes up when I plug in, I will post it to this thread.

Thank you for your help.

Jamie
A low voltage issue alone wouldn't normally cause the transmission to not shift out of second. I suspect that there will be a second code this go around. Post as much information as possible when you get a new reading.

A low voltage issue alone wouldn't normally cause the transmission to not shift out of second. I suspect that there will be a second code this go around. Post as much information as possible when you get a new reading.
JP98,

As of today (but, the day is still young), we are code free and running fine. As mentioned, my son was telling me that the tranny would just slip out of gear and re-engauge with out him doing anything. All research lead me to get the 12 year old/67k mile tranny serviced. When I picked up the Rubi after serving from the dealership, the engine light was on. They scanned the Rubi and the p0562 "System Low Voltage" code appeared. I was told that it was a bad battery. Since, I had purchased a battery in December, they directed me to drive to the auto parts store for a replacement. When I left the dealership, with the engine light still on, I noticed that the Rubi was only in second gear. I could not manually down shift or upshift and the OD button made no difference. I wheeled back around to the service bay, they cleared the codes and the Rubi was shifting fine. I drove to the auto parts store and upgraded to a stronger battery to help with the low voltage issue (more is better, right?). I also had the alternator checked for safe measure. All was good. I drove five mile to have lunch, only to return to the Rubi to fine the engine light back on and the forward gears back in second. Reverse, neutral, etc all worked. But, first or third was not an option. I pulled the gear selector down to first while moving and pushed it up to third with no change. I am not a mechanic or an auto electrical engineer, but I am logical. There is a direct connection between the shifting issues and the low voltage code. I called my buddy, who runs the local Chevy service department and he agreed that something was drawing power away from the ECU. I quickly disconnected the winch wires and pulled the stereo amp fuse. I checked each of the wires for a short. Both seemed fine. I removed the negative battery clamp for thirty seconds to clear the code. I then plugged in a battery tender to fully charge the new battery over night. That is where I sit now. I am trying to understand if there is a relay, a module, a sensor, or whatever that needs to be replaced. My son is wanting his Rubi back, so I need to find this electrical bug ASAP.

Thank you in advance for anything you or anyone else can add to my search.

Jamie

It sounds to be like they are unrelated. The P0562 code could be something as simple as battery terminals that are corroded, or not tight enough. That's a common one.

But the shifting issue has to be unrelated in my mind. It sounds to me like this might be an issue with the ECM / PCM. I'm shocked you aren't getting anymore error codes, especially for the transmission.

It sounds to be like they are unrelated. The P0562 code could be something as simple as battery terminals that are corroded, or not tight enough. That's a common one.

But the shifting issue has to be unrelated in my mind. It sounds to me like this might be an issue with the ECM / PCM. I'm shocked you aren't getting anymore error codes, especially for the transmission.

Chris,

As unrelated as they should be, the second that you clear the P0562 low voltage code, the tranny shifts butter smooth. And, as soon as the engine light (code P0562) comes on, the tranny will only move forward in second gear. As crazy as it sounds, one is somehow tied to the other. I do think the slipping out of gear and back in is unrelated to the low voltage, and more of a old fluid issue. The Jeep dealership is not offering up any help. That is why I am appealing to the folks who live for the TJs. I am hoping that we all learn something from this experience.

BTW...I ordered and installed a new battery cable harness just last week. New from the battery terminals to the alternator, starter and the body/engine grounds. Complete with the electrical goo to prevent corrosion.

I know what an ECM is. But, what is a PCM, a power control module? Are these items that can easily be tested and/or replaced?

BTW...someone mentioned to me that the second gear mode could be a fail safe feature to limit the use while the engine light/low voltage is present.

I just drove the Rubi to pick up my younger son from school and everything worked perfectly. I am contemplating, reconnecting the stereo powered sub to see if the electrical draw triggers a change in behavior.

Jamie

Reactions: JP98
Chris,

As unrelated as they should be, the second that you clear the P0562 low voltage code, the tranny shifts butter smooth. And, as soon as the engine light (code P0562) comes on, the tranny will only move forward in second gear. As crazy as it sounds, one is somehow tied to the other. I do think the slipping out of gear and back in is unrelated to the low voltage, and more of a old fluid issue. The Jeep dealership is not offering up any help. That is why I am appealing to the folks who live for the TJs. I am hoping that we all learn something from this experience.

BTW...I ordered and installed a new battery cable harness just last week. New from the battery terminals to the alternator, starter and the body/engine grounds. Complete with the electrical goo to prevent corrosion.

I know what an ECM is. But, what is a PCM, a power control module? Are these items that can easily be tested and/or replaced?

BTW...someone mentioned to me that the second gear mode could be a fail safe feature to limit the use while the engine light/low voltage is present.

I just drove the Rubi to pick up my younger son from school and everything worked perfectly. I am contemplating, reconnecting the stereo powered sub to see if the electrical draw triggers a change in behavior.

Jamie

Ahhh, then yes, they probably are related, which makes me think even more that it's your ECM. Honestly, there's a lot of names for the ECU... Some call it ECU, others call it ECM, and others call it PCM. So call it what you want, but it sounds like that might be your issue. It wouldn't be the first time either. Many have had their ECM go bad, including @StG58 and others.

I'm not entirely sure of the test procedure of how to determine if it is a bad ECM, but @StG58 might know better, since his was going out on him, and he had to test it. So hopefully he chimes in.

That's just what I am leaning towards at this point, since the computer controls when the transmission shifts, so it makes sense that they would be related.

If it does turn out to be the ECM, there are numerous places you can get replacements from including eBay, and a number of other places that will repair your ECM, or sell you a refurbished one.

It won't hurt to try reconnecting the sub, I would certainly try it.

I just took the Rubi up the road and as soon as I pulled out of the driveway, the engine light came on and into the limp mode (second gear) it went. I made a quick stop and then started back home, the engine light was still on, but the tranny started shifting. Then the devil child appeared and the tranny started down shifting, slipping in and out of gear. Luckily, I was close to home and not near any deep bodies of water. I will be checking the code when I return home from a soccer game. I am hoping for something other than the p0562. More to come later. Thanks for joining me on this wild journey.
Jamie

JP98,

I am realizing now, the question you should have asked me was if I or the person at the Jeep dealership knew how to read the code scanner correctly. I just know saw the numbers up in the right corner. There are actually three codes and before tonight, I did not know how to receive them. I apologize for asking this group questions without giving you all of the available information.

The current codes are as follows:
P0562 System Voltage Low
P0700 Transmission Control System
P0891 TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit High

Jamie

Mine was an 2005 X and had the jump out of gear and back in with 4 codes:
P1684 Battery was disconnected
PO218 High Temperature operation activated
PO714 Transmission Temp Sensor Intermittent
PO884 Power up at speed.

Never went into lip mode just randomly jumps out of gear and back in. Tried many things but my TCM or ECM which ever you want to call it was bad. Sent it to be rebuild and the main computer was burned up so non rebuildable. Finally found 1 that would work in a place in New York for $1275.00 Replaced it and no more tranny problems. Wish you luck.

I was just on the phone with Compton's Automotive, they are an independent Jeep repair center. After hearing the symptoms and learning of the three codes. Ken is confident that the TCM is the issue. I see from Frank's post above that this is a +/- $1,300.00 item. Is this something that is a DIY or is this most certainly a job for a true Jeep mechanic?

I was just on the phone with Compton's Automotive, they are an independent Jeep repair center. After hearing the symptoms and learning of the three codes. Ken is confident that the TCM is the issue. I see from Frank's post above that this is a +/- $1,300.00 item. Is this something that is a DIY or is this most certainly a job for a true Jeep mechanic?
The are an easy DIY swap. The thing is you need an ECM that will match your TJ. If it's not the right year or model it can cause issues.

Yep, I figured it was the computer. That's what all signs and symptoms point towards.

It's an easy swap, really, really easy. You just have to find one that matches your TJ. It needs to be from the same year with the same transmission. In other words, you can't put one from a 1997 TJ with a 5 speed.

Often times they can repair the one that is in your vehicle for a few hundred dollars. You can also get new ones for cheaper than $1300, probably around $800 at most I suspect.

I did it myself, take your time and you can do it. Get all the numbers from the sticker on the ECM before you start. Hopefully yours is repairable but mine was not. Best of luck.

Reactions: Chris
Thank you for the responses and encouragement. Any chance you guys have a photo or diagram that shows me where the TCM is located?
Mine is located on the passenger side firewall. But I have a '98. Should look something like this.

th?id=OIP.Jz0GCwdX5MmI2CjsdD8MAAEsDH&w=254&h=168&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.jpg

yes on firewall right behind battery, will have 4 plugs on it instead of 3, 3 is for manual tranny. looks like jp98 pic with one more plug.