Code P0850: 42RLE Neutral Safety Switch

rge8

I get a code P0850 and the check engine light comes on. I've had this for a while. The reverse lights come on and I don't have really any other problems. It will start in drive so.... Everyone says neutral safety switch. I have an 42RLE transmission and 4.0 liter engine. If it is the neutral safety switch, is it in the bottom end of the transmission? If so what is the best way to change it with out messing anything up. Thanks in advance.

Neutral safety switch will not give you a code, that I know of.

Read this. this is for a 42RLE, which is what your wrangler should have not a 43RLE. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong:
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/42RLE.pdf

Pg. 137
Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the engine starts only in these positions. Adjustment is INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not start at all, the TRS may be faulty .

You can adjust your shifter cable in these instructions before going for the solenoid. Also check your wiring and connectors first. Solenoid replacement requires valve body removal.

Thanks for the insight. I already went through that trouble shooting diagnostic. I used to have to over ride it to get in gear but I found a fix for that. If I have to drop the trans oil pan I will to fix it. Jeep runs great other than the check engine light on. I clear it with my OBII and it comes back in an hour or so.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the info. You have to drop the trans oil pan, it's up in there. Going to be a pain but, not too bad.