Coil spring change

Rubicon88

TJ Addict
I just installed some MCE fenders on this used Rubicon I picked up...that us a story in itself but now it's coil spring time.

I'm going to try out the 2.5 dual rate springs
from Skyjacker.
TJ25FDR and it's rear counterpart to be more precise.
TJ25FDR-510x510.jpg

Haven't settled on the shock yet...

Any and all comments are welcomed...Thx.

Reactions: Blondie70
What are your goals with this? Springs set the ride height. Once that is done, move on.

Shocks are what control the ride.

Reactions: AndyG
What are your goals with this? Springs set the ride height. Once that is done, move on.

Shocks are what control the ride.
Good post, I'm replacing my 03 skyjacker springs tomorrow for the same reason ...ride height in rear and sag on one side.

Springs from 2003 or springs on your 2003?
Pretty much both... This Jeep was originally built way back in the day and I've been slowly undoing it the last few years.. it had under 21,000 miles ...no rust.. and it was a mess.

Why dual rate springs?

Typically used in the rear if you're going to tow a lot, but I can't say I've ever seen a need for them in the front. And you can't really tow much weight with a TJ anyway, so....

Why dual rate springs?

Typically used in the rear if you're going to tow a lot, but I can't say I've ever seen a need for them in the front. And you can't really tow much weight with a TJ anyway, so....
Hence why I said try out.
I've had many o' many spring over the years on many o' many different platforms.

After seeing Rock Krawler...and now seeing these got ny curiosity going.
Skyjacker is in the process of discontinuing their softride coil spring for the TJ as we speak so they must think highly of their new dual rate spring.

Rock Krawler out of New York seems to have a good reputation and only using dual rate springs for TJ's. (Yes they also do coilover springs.

We shall see.

My 3" Rock Krawler rear springs and Moog Grand Cherokee front springs(2-2.5") and Rancho 5000X shocks on my 06 Rubi worked out great. I don't have enough experience with different ones to give advice, but I ordered the 3.5 Rock Krawler yesterday for my 03 to help with the hard top weight and get some rake to handle gear.

My 3" Rock Krawler rear springs and Moog Grand Cherokee front springs(2-2.5") and Rancho 5000X shocks on my 06 Rubi worked out great. I don't have enough experience with different ones to give advice, but I ordered the 3.5 Rock Krawler yesterday for my 03 to help with the hard top weight and get some rake to handle gear.
So you are going 3.5 in the back and what in the front? I'm getting confused on what you have on what but I'm curious to know.

So you are going 3.5 in the back and what in the front? I'm getting confused on what you have on what but I'm curious to know.
Cool. For me , it's all about tire size, decent clearance and good driving ..and I've got 2 fairly different Rubicons.

The 03 was thought to be lifted 3.5-4" when purchased. It was an old sky jacker short arm lift. I wasn't worried about the springs as much as the horrible bushings, so I kept the springs and rebuilt the rest.

It measures to have 3.5" in the front and 2.5 in the rear bucket to bucket with the hard top on now - this is near level when you factor in the fact they sit 1" down in front stock...and mine is close to being a tad low in back with the hard top on ..so here comes the new 3.5" rear springs. The idea is to get some rake back. I'll always set up a TJ to have 1/2" -1" of rake for cargo.

The 06 had a 2" puck lift and it looked crowded at the wheelwells with the 16's it has that are about 32.5 inches tall, so I did 1.5- 2 inches in front and kept the pucks for 3.5- 4" and 3" in the rear , with no hard top, so it sits level or a skosh high in back, clears the fenders , has stock control arms and no alignment drama.

Both drive great.

I'm basically working from what I had with each, learning and tweaking my set up. The 03 is in the build threads as AndyG's period correct Rubicon and the 06 is in there, it is a Jeep I bought to resale and has turned into the best Rubicon for the money I'll likely ever own..it's different, but really good all around.

Last edited:
Love to see some pics when installed. So far all the 'dual rate' springs I've seen (far from all of them) sit with the top of the spring coil bound at ride height and only seem to come in to use when the axle is at full droop to keep the spring propperly located.

Love to see some pics when installed. So far all the 'dual rate' springs I've seen (far from all of them) sit with the top of the spring coil bound at ride height and only seem to come in to use when the axle is at full droop to keep the spring propperly located.
These Skyjacker might do the same thing.

Hell they might all be getting their springs from the same plant and slapping different names on or no name at all..
Screenshot_20200925-113038_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200925-113144_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200925-114255_Photos.jpg

As you can see they look eerily similar with rock krawker and skyjacker having their name on it damn near the same location and metacloak with none at all. All powder coated black.

Coincidence or same plant? 🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: TimboSlice