Coil spring questions

Matt77

TJ Enthusiast
To take off my coil springs, can I also take off sway link and shock first to have more access with a coil spring compressor? Do I need to jack the front of jeep up first?

After I get the coil spring off will the jeep lean down bc the shock and sway link are also off?

How do I know what jounce bumper and bottom pad to get? There is a lift on my jeep and if I understand right the coil springs are part of the lift.

To get new coil springs, do I just measure the length and width of existing coil springs?

I have a lift maybe someone can tell me or send a picture so I can measure how much my lift is. I know anything over 12". But where do I measure from? Bottom of spring to where the spring hits the top of the pad? I have 33x12.5 R15 tires on it.

Thanks in advance for any help to all these questions.

Don't use a coil spring compressor, it is not (!) needed and they're very dangerous too. I haven't used a coil spring compressor in probably 21 years since the one time I used one and learned within a few minutes it wasn't needed and it was dangerous as hell.

Simply unbolt a couple links between the chassis and axle and you can drop the axle far enough away from the the frame that the springs will literally fall out and the new springs can be inserted without any issue. With the Jeep supported by its frame via jack stands and the axle supported by a floor jack, disconnect the lower antiswaybar link from the axle, unbolt the lower end of the shocks, unbolt the lower end of the track bar, and then you can lower the axles via the floor jack to droop down far enough so the spring compressor is not needed.

Last edited:
Everything Jerry said; the other thing I do/did was to unbolt the axle end lower control arm bolts. Just makes things a bit easier with longer springs on stock arms.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Matt77
Don't use a coil spring compressor, it is not (!) needed and they're very dangerous too. I haven't used a coil spring compressor in probably 21 years since the one time I used one and learned within a few minutes it wasn't needed and it was dangerous as hell.

Simply unbolt a couple links between the chassis and axle and you can drop the axle far enough away from the the frame that the springs will literally fall out and the new springs can be inserted without any issue. With the Jeep supported by its frame via jack stands and the axle supported by a floor jack, disconnect the lower antiswaybar link from the axle, unbolt the lower end of the shocks, unbolt the lower end of the track bar, and then you can lower the axles via the floor jack to droop down far enough so the spring compressor is not needed.
Do I have to unbolt the control arms too? Do I pace jack stands under lower control arm bushings?

Do I have to unbolt the control arms too? Do I pace jack stands under lower control arm bushings?
I have never had to unbolt the control arms to replace the springs. I support the axle with a floor jack under the pumpkin.until it's time to lower it and remove/install the springs.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have never had to unbolt the control arms to replace the springs. I support the axle with a floor jack under the pumpkin.until it's time to lower it and remove/install the springs.
What about trying to figure out how much lift I have? Where exactly do I measure from/to on the coil springs? I know stock is 12" Or do I just figure I have a 2" to 4" lift. When i look at parts the cut off for lift parts is usually 0-2" and then 2" to 4". Now for the coil spring bumper and bottom pad. Do I just bring them to like O'Reilly auto parts and say I need these? And how do I measure for new coil springs? Length and width? Sorry so many questions man, I'm new to this and you know alot. Thank you for helping me

Everything Jerry said; the other thing I do/did was to unbolt the axle end lower control arm bolts. Just makes things a bit easier with longer springs on stock arms.
Where do I support the body with jackstands? While I lower the axel with the floor jack?

Where do I support the body with jackstands? While I lower the axel with the floor jack?

Right behind the control arm bracket of the frame: see attached (not on the bracket, but behind it)

b79d5e90eb5907d1de93c3e100538123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob5589 and Matt77
Jerry... sorry to ring in on an old thread, but will I need a compressor to install 4" taller springs? or does that just work for stock springs....and will that work for the rear also?