Coil springs are under 12 inches: Am I missing something?

smurphy

my 98 looks like the front is sagging. I know the front stock springs should measure 12 inches, These do not. I took pictures and was wondering if it was missing anything. I am planning on replacing them, any suggestion on where to get a set. Jeep is mostly on the road.

20190519_184422.jpg

20190519_194440.jpg

Dang! Those springs are shot brah! Doesn't look like you are missing anything, but it looks like your jounce bumpers are touching the lower spring pad just sitting there. That is no bueno.

Reactions: 04 LJ
I can't really tell where the tape measure is sitting in relation to the bottom spring perch due to the angle of the photo, but I'd say @bobthetj03 hit the nail on the head. The bump stop jounce pads shouldn't be touching just parked, so time for new springs. What's your end goal for tire size?

Reactions: bobthetj03
Rockauto.com sells springs cheap, Moog 3224 are well under $100 for the pair and will get you back to stock height. Plenty of threads about refreshing stock-ish Jeep suspensions.

Reactions: 04 LJ and JMT
I can't really tell where the tape measure is sitting in relation to the bottom spring perch due to the angle of the photo, but I'd say @bobthetj03 hit the nail on the head. The bump stop jounce pads shouldn't be touching just parked, so time for new springs. What's your end goal for tire size?
It already has 31x10.5 not going any bigger if anything might go smaller

Rockauto.com sells springs cheap, Moog 3224 are well under $100 for the pair and will get you back to stock height. Plenty of threads about refreshing stock-ish Jeep suspensions.
Thanks I'll order those anything else I'll need to do this?

Your front end looks a little rusty but all you really need to do is unbolt the shocks and sway bar, drop the axle and the springs will fall right out. You only need spring compressors on lifted Jeeps.

Thanks I'll order those anything else I'll need to do this?
Mine is a 4cylinder i see moog 3228
And a 3224 for the 6 cylinder they are same except for the load lbs and spring weight is a little higher on the moog 3224. Would it be better to order those instead of the other?

Springs are guesswork, looks like you have an aftermarket bumper and different tires, I don't know for sure what they'll be like. If you are running 31" tires an extra inch won't hurt.

Reactions: JMT
Yeah, the higher spring rate won’t hurt. Looks like your shocks need a refresh too. I’d do both at the same time. Don’t go to smaller tires man, that’s the wrong way!

Reactions: Alex01
Old springs, giant ass bumper and winch, so yea, you have some sagging. Get the Moog 3226/3227, you need the extra spring rate. Some new Rancho 5000X stock height shocks while you're at it. Expect to find other stuff as well with rust like that.

Reactions: fuse
Looks like your all sorted with getting new springs and possibly new shocks too...get a wire brush on that surface rust too while your under there and spray anti-rust paint.

If the front is so bad, what does the rears look like? I'd be inclined to thin all 4 could use an update.

Reactions: fuse
If the front is so bad, what does the rears look like? I'd be inclined to thin all 4 could use an update.
The rear still measures 8 inches I'm planning on new front springs and new shocks all the way around. Now I thinking of taking the winch and big front bumper off. And going with something smaller. It had all that on when I bought it.

If you need a new set of front springs, I have a set of JK springs that are stock tj height. I will give them to you if you pay for shipping.

If you need a new set of front springs, I have a set of JK springs that are stock tj height. I will give them to you if you pay for shipping.

That would be awesome. Thanks let me know how much and how to pay. Do you have PayPal?

Please pm me your address and I will get a shipping amount once I box them up, you can pay once you get them, PayPal works or just a check