Cold air induction gains?

So have you found a viable affordable way to increase power on a 4.0 ?
Only if you consider a supercharger affordable is there an affordable way to increase its power.

Edit: Are you experiencing the power loss that results from running big tires without having regeared the axles to a lower ratio to compensate for the bigger tires? What size tires are you running, which engine and transmission do you have, and do you know what gear ratio is in your axles?

This tag bolted onto the differential cover at its 9 o'clock position is indicating the gear ratio inside is 3.73. What is your axle's ratio?

Axle Ratio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
So have you found a viable affordable way to increase power on a 4.0 ?

Without going to forced induction at most realistic gains are in the 15hp range on the top end. And that's spending a lot of time and money linking together a lot of small gains. A 15hp gain isn't really going to be noticeable or beneficial.

So far I'm more impressed with my supercharger than I thought I would be. The power gains seem to be nicely distributed across the RPM range and doesn't stack it all at one end of the curve.

Reactions: Apparition
Thanks for your replies . Guess I'll have to save my lunch money awhile longer and go the LS 5.3 route. I don't want more power offroad, but on the highway my 04 lj is pretty anemic.

Thanks for your replies . Guess I'll have to save my lunch money awhile longer and go the LS 5.3 route. I don't want more power offroad, but on the highway my 04 lj is pretty anemic.
@woodschip I edited my above post to add another comment, there are a couple questions mixed into it as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flivver250

A regear more appropriate for your tire size and transmission is much less expensive and far less work.

CAI only solves an issue if you are having trouble with the stock airbox. I agree with what has been said, regear would be your best option. I have no trouble hitting 75-80mph with my 35s and 5.13 gears