Cold Air Intake FAQ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Disclaimer: This is info I gathered and some of it may be my personal opinion...in no way intended to be all-knowing fact or infallible. Do your homework, read what's presented, and make your own informed decision.

The question is frequently asked: "Do cold air intakes make a difference?", whether this be improving gas mileage or improving performance.

The simple answer is NO. If you're interested why, read further.

A Problem:
ISO Coarse Dust Test of multiple brands of air filters - K&N clog faster and passes 3-4x more dust than paper filter: ISO 5011 Air Filter Test Report

They state: "Compared to the AC Delco air filter, the "K&N" plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

There have been numerous articles all over the Internet showing fine dust passing through K&N air filters.

Why does this matter? Dust = silica. Read about silica here:
Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of Silica Contamination from Practicing Oil Analysis Magazine, January 2006.

The UOA (used oil analysis) with observed silica content in street driven vehicles:
Threw away K&N's due to high silicon in UOA's - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Cold Air Intake Design:
There are three main types:
1. Stock intake tube cut with a "K&N" cone style filter from local autoparts store clamped on the end.
2. An aftermarket tube, usually larger in diameter than stock, with a "K&N" cone style filterclamped onto it. Many utilize a 'heat' shield, and some utilize a "dry" filter instead of the "oiled" types.
3. Other intake options use a snorkel of some type, to draw air from outside the enginecompartment (covered later).

Performance Gains:
Here is a dyno test performed by JP Magazine:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Inktake Dyno - A Day On the Dyno - Jp Magazine

Notice they showed a gain of 6 hp and 4 lb-ft of torque at around 4500rpm.

Here's a link to a 18 comprehensive dyno runs comparing the stock intake, no intake at all and an aftermarket cowl intake.
http://www.tricktuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226
He saw absolutely no statistically significant difference between the runs. And to actually show how easy it is to skew a dyno, he saw a near 10 hp increase just by changing tire pressure.

Have you ever wondered what the Jeep Engineer's (the guys who designed the Jeep Wrangler) would have to say about the stock intake vs a CAI?
Here's a response to a question on the forum from one of the actual Jeep Engineers:

Question:
after being on this website for 3 years, it seems that everyday someone ask the question about cold air intakes an how they add HP, MPG, could you please explain why this does not work on a TJ. i would like to use your answer when replying back to the people that ask.
Answer:
As with any "system" on the vehicle, such as the air induction system, there is a certain amount of compromise that needs to be designed into it. What I mean is that you could maximize flow, but at what cost to filtration and protection of the engine? Essentially we design the stock intake system to meet the airflow requirements of the engine while still protecting it from fine particle ingestion. Will a cold air intake possibly flow a little more? Perhaps, but it may potentially allow larger particles through that the stock paper element would not.

In the case of the TJ, the 4.0L is an engine optimized for low RPM power and torque - the potential increase in airflow that a cold air intake might offer would not really play into the typical RPM range that a 4.0L generally operates in.

So What Do We Know about Cold Air Intakes:
Pros:
1. Eliminates stock airbox (may be necessary for custom fenders)
2. Improved HP and TQ by about 2-3% at ~4500rpm (Engine max: 5200rpm).

Cons:
1. Expensive - brand name kits cost around $150+
2. Cleaning - open element filter is exposed to much more dirt, mud, dust and debris from engine compartment.
3. Thin film of dust typically passing through filter, thus the engine is exposed to this dust.
4. Oiled filter versions further attract dust, dirt and debris.
5. Due to inadequete filtering, a Outwears Pre-filter, or similar filter sock is required, further adding to cost.
6. Requires frequent cleaning due to dirty environment - typical cleaning kit costs $20+.
7. Increases risk of hydrolocking - exposed element can suck water into engine easily.
8. Noise - annoying "sucking" noise can be heard, sometimes associated with a loud whistle.
9. Dirty filter can cause rough and/or high idle.

I used to run an AEM intake, but removed it after finding a lot of problems associated with it.

The Snorkel:
There are also many brands of snorkels, designed to prevent water from getting into the engine, and to introduce air from outside the engine compartment. Brands include ARB, Volant, and others. Many people construct their own snorkel systems using PVC pipe and 1990's Buick intake boxes.

Pros:
1. Introduces air from outside the engine compartment
2. Elevated air intake to resist hydrolocking engine during deep water crossings.

Cons:
1. Expensive - ARB, Volant, etc brand intakes cost over $300.
2. Most require extensive modifications to the stock airbox, or a new airbox.
3. Modifications often require drilling and cutting of the body - could lead to rust, or water leaks.
4. Often times the windshield cannot be folded down.

Fun video:

Cost Effectiveness:

$250 for a cold air intake system
- let's say this will get you 20,000 miles before requiring cleaning
$20 for cleaning kit
- this will get you about another 20,000 miles

In contrast, for the stock airbox:
paper filter cost from local auto parts store: ~$14

This means for the ~$250 the CAI cost, you could have bought 18 paper filters. Considering you can get about 6,000-9,000 miles from each paper filter, that means you could travel at least 108,000 miles on $250 of paper filters.

For the cost of one CAI, and one cleaning kit, used to travel approx. 40,000 miles, you could travel ~120,000 miles on paper air filters.

It is simply not cost effective for 3% in power gains @ 4500rpm to jeopardize your engines health, or to waste money on expensive filters mechanisms.

Volumetric Efficiency:

The argument is often made that more air = more fuel and therefore more power. Well, first you should probably know the air requirement of the engine, so you can actually determine if the air intake is somehow restrictive. Engine Air Flow requirements are measured in CFM (cubic feet per minute)

Calculating the CFM of air required for an engine is pretty simple.

CFM = (CID x RPM x VE)/3456

For our 4.0L (4.0L = 244 cubic inches displacement):

If we assume 100% efficiency: (244 cu-in) * (5200 RPM-redline) / 3456 = 367 CFM
...but unforunately our engines are nowhere near 100% efficient, 80-90% is more reasonable for a modern engine.

So, in reality we have: (244 cu-in) * (5200 RPM) * (.85) / 3456 = 312 CFM

Well, Four Wheeler magazine tested a stock throttle body and found it flowed 450 CFM! Obviously that's even more than an ideal, non-real-world 100% efficient 4.0L!

They also did some extensive flow testing with a 4.7L stroker, and found it only used 383 CFM!
Source: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0712-2000-jeep-wrangler-40l-inline-6/

Now, let's work backwards and figure out how efficient their high performance 4.7L stroker was:

We have: (289 cu-in) * (5200 RPM) * (.88) / 3456 = 383 CFM

So with more displacement, higher compression ratio, a modified head, valve job, performance cam and some other work, they were able to acheive 88% efficiency in this context...yielding 225 hp @ 5k RPM & 280 ft-lbs @ 4k RPM, at the crank.

Now let's look at the numbers....their performance stroker yielded 35 hp/45 ft-lb gain over stock (~16% increase)....for a few grand.

Think about that next time you read an advertisement that suggests a given percentage increase in hp/tq.

Here's more tech & math if you're interested:
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/volumetric_efficiency.htm

I just stumbled across this post and i found some of this to be inaccurate, at least in my experience, sorry Rook.

I agree, a cold air intake without a snorkel/prefilter on a TJ is def worthless IMO.. unless the TJ never leaves the tar, in which case the TJ and intake are both worthless haha

Putting a snorkel on your TJ is one of the best upgrades you can do along with a new set of extractors and new muffler / exhaust if it needs it, it will give it more grunt. This is true for any offroad/touring vehicle, petrol or diesel, in terms of engine performance. Anyone who tells you this isn't true hasn't done it. The submarine factor aside, cold forced air going into the engine makes it go harder and run smoother and be more economical specially on the highway at 120kmh+ towing an offroad trailer, or that has been my experience anyway. Cool air is more dense so there is more of it going in vs warm/hot air. Maybe this is not so important in countries where cold conditions are the norm but in Australia where temps are high and distances are long and you may be a long a long way from help - cool air to your engine is important, dusty warm air from under the bonnet fouls up your filters quickly and gets in your engine when you do a lot of time on the dirt. Most of our 4Bs here have snorkels with adequate filtration systems with additional pre filters added which here are a given for serious and prolonged touring. But when I see a lot of TJs in the States, most do not have snorkel, I always found this strange, or maybe a lot do over there and I have it wrong.

I bought my TJ snorkel kit off ebay for $80 bucks and fitted it myself, every bit as good any ARB million dollar set up. If it craps out, i just get another for $80 and fit it again and I'm still in front. The kit works WITH the standard TJ air filter box with some modifications that once done, retains your normal filter and box and works perfectly. Replacing the standard air filter is like $20 or just get a K&N washable which is a bit more expensive but you can clean out and reuse as much as you like. You will also discover that you will have to clean your filter LESS cause the air being drawn from the snorkel up high is cleaner. You can obviously get different heads to attach to the top of snorkel for different conditions from a forward facing forced air spout or you can fit a bowl or Donaldson type prefilter and put a stocking over it to filter even more crap out.

NOTE: They're are pit falls and things to watch out for when fitting a snorkel to a TJ, spesh if you are doing it yourself, im happy to elaborate on these for anyone who might be thinking of fitting a snorkel - my advice, do it! you wont regret it if its done right. But things can happen that will ruin your day if your not competent at modifying plastic and metal.

That's a common misconception where the TJ is concerned, CAIs and various other forms of aftermarket air intakes don't help with the TJ's air flow at all. Really. And common CAIs don't reduce the air temp enough to make a significant increase in air density.

Some vehicles have restricted air intake systems and aftermarket air intakes can help improve air flow. But the TJ's air intake was specifically designed to be 100% non-restrictive, it can easily flow far more air than the engine can ask for at redline RPMs and at wide-open throttle. I actually talked with Jeep's most senior engineer, Jim Repp who is also widely known as the "father" of the Jeep Rubicon, several times in 2001-2002 who confirmed their design goal was zero air flow restriction for the TJ.

If anyone is wondering how I got to know Jim Repp, he actually contacted me after seeing some of my posts about a misfire problem I was having with my then-new 1997 TJ they later diagnosed to a batch of weak valve springs the factory received. Jim sent me several boxes of parts trying to figure out the problem, none of which helped. Eventually he started feeding/leaking me information on the yet-to-be-released Rubicon to help keep the rumors of its configuration under control. Locker type, how tested, etc. Jim is retired now but a good guy, he started with Jeep back in the CJ days. I learned a lot from him

Totally agree Jerry. There's so much misinformation about CAIs and Jeeps, it's absurd.

A cold air intake will make little to no difference whatsoever on our TJs, period. If someone still doesn't believe that, see the dyno runs linked to in the original post, where it clearly shows dynos with the stock intake and a cold air intake... Nothing to be gained at all. A cold air intake on a 4.0 engine is just a great way to piss away your money, and potentially do damage to your engine in a shorter amount of time (due to the poor filtration of many aftermarket air filters used by CAIs).

But hey, it's your money... If you feel like wasting it, don't let any of us stop you :p

Not to bring this thread back up or anything. But what air filter would be ideal to use. I know we say leave it stock. But for someone who is planning ahead and already removed the items needed for stock. What would you suggest?

Not to bring this thread back up or anything. But what air filter would be ideal to use. I know we say leave it stock. But for someone who is planning ahead and already removed the items needed for stock. What would you suggest?
Get a Fram or oem paper one and change it as needed...that is all. A K&N type may be great for a hot rod, but has no business on the 4.0 tractor motor we have.

Reactions: Jeep
I got a filter from Napa that was a paper filter and then it had about a 1/4 inch of foam glued to the bottom of it as well. Just thought it was interesting.

Reactions: Jeep
Yeah I'm not really interested in all that to be honest. I'm more interested in prolonging the life of the motor. I have the Rubicon TJ. Which has the Dana 44 with stock lockers in it. Not to entirely sure on the gearing but I haven't done any suspension upgrades nor tire upgrades. My focus point now is everything I can do before I do the lift, tires, ect.

My thing is now I already fell into the belief of gaining mpg and hp with the intake. Which after the research I find out I am wrong. I have a K&N air filter I bought for $20 with some coupons! I've already got rid of the stock components. Now should I do an AC Delco cone style or find another stock setup? Reason why I came across this was I'm due to change the air filter and wanted better options and didn't want to spend the money on K&N.

Reactions: jonlandrum
Yeah seems the route I will have to do. I'm about an HR from Knoxville .ever heard of Bristol TN. Nascar has their 500 race over here

Yeah idk how having a jeep up there be nice. It's a little more country out through here. A little bit of farmland but some really nice mountains.

Yeah idk how having a jeep up there be nice. It's a little more country out through here. A little bit of farmland but some really nice mountains.
I am not in NYC, have almost .75 acre ( not bad for here) inground pool, nice pond....but the $13,000 in taxes and the $7600 in electric I paid last year is getting old!

pond.png

Yeah you'd be considered rich here lol
I'd make that move. That's just way too expensive man

Reactions: cliffish