Cold air intakes

tbarinka

I have a 2002 Tj. I was thinking on installing a K&N cold air intake. Not sure if it would mess with the diagnostics first off, I've heard if the service engine soon light coming on after some installs. I don't have any other connections coming off the original intake tube as some models do. Just want to hear some opinions.

Oh! first posting....first Welcome. I hope you have thick skin?
Don't feel bad my jeep came with a Spectre with the intake running through the firewall into the vent area...
I just live with it. They don't seem to make a substantial improvement in performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC and 97TJNM
notthisshitagain.jpg

Short answer: Don't do it. It buys you exactly nothing other than worse filtration than stock.

• they're expensive
  • they don't add any noticable power
  • oiled gauze filters are not good for dusty off road conditions
  • don't do it unless you need the real estate due to high lines, coil towers etc

X2 to this advice.

It's a really a waste of time and money unless you need a different intake (due to high lines, coilovers, etc.).

Your money is far better spent elsewhere.

I have a 2002 Tj. I was thinking on installing a K&N cold air intake. Not sure if it would mess with the diagnostics first off, I've heard if the service engine soon light coming on after some installs. I don't have any other connections coming off the original intake tube as some models do. Just want to hear some opinions.

Why are you considering this swap?

Guys we really should not be so quick to jump on new members or make so many negative reactions like not this shit again before giving them some useful advice up front. I hope Boogie's not right about the poster being already gone. At ;east wait to see they react to solid advice before giving them shit lol.

K&N's are looked upon as terrible filters in dusty talc type conditions.
True, this chart was one of many produced after a series of ISO lab tests on various air filters. The K&N was dead last by a mile in terms of its ability to actually filter the air. The text at the bottom that is in bold is the lab's words, not mine.

K&N Chart with Text.JPG

Guys we really should not be so quick to jump on new members or make so many negative reactions like not this shit again before giving them some useful advice up front. I hope Boogie's not right about the poster being already gone. At ;east wait to see they react to solid advice before giving them shit lol.

I agree, Jerry.

That said, this thread seemed rather tame compared to some I've seen. Some in the past have had the first 4 or 5 posts be straight snark. I was happy to see that there was welcomes and advice mostly in this thread.

In my first post, I remember getting shit from only 1 member, (I can't remember who without pulling up the thread) but they did have good observations and were making valid points. With some self-deprecating humor on my part, I actually ended up having a productive exchange with whoever it was. The problem is, I didn't know what I didn't know.

I think we as a group generally roll our eyes after reading the same questions for the hundredth time. But to a lot of people posting for the first time, they, well... don't know what they don't know.

OP, if you're still around, good on you for asking questions before buying things. In this particular instance, a cold air intake won't be beneficial. But hang around and keep asking questions. There is a TON of collective knowledge about our TJs here.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I find that I have to ask a repetitive question one in a while because doing a search has lead to less that stellar results.
Remember it’s a new question for them.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Like the guy who came on here with his first post showing the Steinjager steering he just installed.
Haven't seen him again......

Or the guy who didnt post pictures of his new-to-him jeep and then took his $60k worth of snap on tools and left?