Cold air or other air box solutions

NevadaMike

TJ Enthusiast
I am wondering if there are any good cold air induction setups for the Jeeps. What was done by the PO doesn’t seem like a good setup.
AEDBFABA-CD69-4444-BC44-58BE0D107D14.jpeg

It looks like he just to the stock air box off and just slapped a filter on there. It doesn’t make sense to me to put it there where’s it sucking in all that hot air from the engine bay When cooler air is more desirable. It’s a ‘97 wrangler sport with the 4.0L. Any and all positive input would be greatly appreciated.

pretty much anyone here is gonna tell you that the best air box for a tj is the stock one, tests have been done and even k and n CAI let WAY to much dust in, your best to just put a oem air box on
you mayyyyybe will gain 2/3 HP with a free flowing one but its not worth the sacrifice of a clean engine

The best setup is the stock setup, period.

There is no such thing as a "good" cold air intake for the TJ.

The only air intakes you'll likely see us recommending would be ones like the Windstar (or similar) intake and that isn't done for power gains, it's usually done in conjunction with a highline fender conversion which prohibits one from using the factory airbox.

You WILL NOT gain any power whatsoever from a "cold air intake".

In fact, this is true for most modern engines.

A few popular solutions are either routing the intake into the cowl (see Cool Cowl by Jeff scherb) and sourcing an air box from a Ford windstar or some Buick model and mounting that to the radiator support rods.

The biggest gain from this kind of modification is opening up the space that the factory air box occupies for underhood accessories such as compressors, auxiliary fuse boxes, winch control boxes, etc.

Reactions: JMT
pretty much anyone here is gonna tell you that the best air box for a tj is the stock one, tests have been done and even k and n CAI let WAY to much dust in, your best to just put a oem air box on
you mayyyyybe will gain 2/3 HP with a free flowing one but its not worth the sacrifice of a clean engine
That’s what I was thinking, but a lot has changed since my ‘63 with an oil bath air filter.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

The only air intakes you'll likely see us recommending would be ones like the Windstar (or similar) intake and that isn't done for power gains, it's usually done in conjunction with a highline fender conversion which prohibits one from using the factory airbox.

Thank you for your input. Now to find a stock box.

X2 to that, the only reason I said 2/3 HP was because I have heard people say that before, I wasn't sure tho that's why I said mayyyybe

Reactions: Chris
A few popular solutions are either routing the intake into the cowl (see Cool Cowl by Jeff scherb) and sourcing an air box from a Ford windstar or some Buick model and mounting that to the radiator support rods.

The biggest gain from this kind of modification is opening up the space that the factory air box occupies for underhood accessories such as compressors, auxiliary fuse boxes, winch control boxes, etc.
I’ll have to give that post a look. Thank you.

Reactions: Tob

This was my reason for it... I went with the THOR cowl intake kit. While it wasn't to decrease intake temps, I will say the intake temps are significantly lower. Now whether an untuned engine with stock ECU can take advantage of that.... doubtful.

There is a kind of in between solution as well. There are paper cellulose cylinder shaped filters. I have used this one before it's a Wix 46277. I think it's a stock filter for an '89 Prelude.

Screenshot_20210804-123605_Chrome.jpg

I will say the intake temps are significantly lower. Now whether an untuned engine with stock ECU can take advantage of that.... doubtful.
This. Saying there is no hp to be had out of bolting on an aftermarket intake/filter isn't really accurate, but practically speaking, for most TJ owners it's 100% correct. For a stock 4.0, the hp/tq gains *might* be measurable on a dyno, but they would be high in the rpm range, exactly where nobody would need/feel it. Now a modified I6 that gets run to/past redline and especially one that it tuned for the increased flow and cooler intake temps? Yes. Very much so. But what kind of idiot does that with a TJ though? 😆 Also, depending on the type of intake, you run an increased risk of getting water/dirt into the engine. Not worth it for almost everyone.

If anyone ever thinks an intake is going to help their undergeared TJ maintain speed on the highway or get down the trail better, they are wrong wrong wrong.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I got a complete factory air box system for my TJ from DeadJeep.com last month… $75… but it was complete with no damage… before the regear it was the best decision I’ve made to get rid of that filthy cold air filter… the motor can actually breath now!