Cold weather protection

woodmaster58

Hi Jeepers

I have an 06LJ which I love to death and want to preserve it.
I had a 98 TJ which rusted out while stored in cold garage on concrete over several winters
Is there a way other than heating the garage to avoid corrosion?
Maybe one of the many garage mats offered that would hold down condensation
Maybe a box fan running on low speed all winter

I want to be prepared
Thanks everyone

Well you’re gonna find some guys on here that know how to protect the frames and fight the battle- We would love to see you reserve it and if your use the search engine you’ll find a lot of information-

I am a contractor and I do fight condensation and things like that in the builds we do- If you’ll do some research you can get some ideas and it may be just something as simple as laying down some EPDM rubber to park it on-

But you’re going to have to clean that frame and treat it and always clean it good before you store it

Good luck we wish you the best

If you can only drive it when the pavement is dry. Get it Fluid filmed or NH Oiled. Good Luck. Keep an eye out for a LJ frame to store away when we lose the battle with rust.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
Wash it thoroughly after driving on salted roads. Eastwood internal frame coating, then coat everything underneath with Fluid Film.
p.s. I'm originally from VT and never had any vehicle rust.

Drill drain holes in the frame, treat the inside of the frame, keep it as clean as possible (bottom and top), and get a quality dehumidifier for the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I love my garage dehumidifier. I have it hung from the ceiling and keep it around 40%. Helps protect my Jeeps and tools.

Get a humidistat and monitor the humidity to see if it'll be worth buying one for you.

Most stop working around 55F so if you aren't going to heat you'll want to look into a unit made for cold weather.

Insulating and vapor barrier will also help reduce your costs running the unit.

Ventalation may be your best friend. I built a 16x8 wood storage shed for my motorcycles. Every morn when the sun hit it it would heat up the air faster than the metal bikes. Open the door and it looked like somebody took a spray bottle to then on the tanks,cases and any large part that was still stone cold from the night. I added fans and it helped bunched. Also mentioned the slab may be a huge source of moisture. I was kinda blown away when I left a could rubber floor mats on the garage floor for a few days and when I lifted then they were pretty wet underneath from moisture coming up and this was in Dry Arizona.