Cold weather sleeping bag recommendations needed, please

I'll second the wiggy's sleep system bags.
They do look promising, don't they? I did read a few reviews where the people were disappointed in the product, and when they tried to get some satisfaction through "customer service" (the owner, himself), they were even more disappointed. That being said, there are damn few products out there that don't have some kind of negative feedback somewhere along the way.

They do look promising, don't they? I did read a few reviews where the people were disappointed in the product, and when they tried to get some satisfaction through "customer service" (the owner, himself), they were even more disappointed. That being said, there are damn few products out there that don't have some kind of negative feedback somewhere along the way.
The wife and I use the four part military sleep system bags. I lucked into two sets, new and unopened, a few years (10-15?) ago. IIRC, I paid about $250 each for them. Once you figure out how they are supposed to work, they work really well down past temps I'm comfortable traveling in. The key to those is to wear a base layer. We also take a wool blanket each. The Wiggy's sleep system is a civilian version of that. Light bag, heavy bag, and waterproof cover. (Bivy sack)

Something to think about anyway.

Reactions: Squatch
My wife will be doing a camping/kayaking trip with her sister in mid-October, and I would like to find her a quality cold weather sleeping bag for the trip. I can get online and read any number of reviews, but I thought I would begin by reaching out to you folks and ask if there is anything that you would recommend.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.
Regards,
Squatch

This is what I bought at Cabelas and use it for my over night hunting trips in the mountains of WV. I've slept in 0 degree temps with it and it keeps me very toasty.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...down-blend-deg-mummy-bag/2753096.uts?slotId=5

Not to bring politics into this, but: the big thing that I don't like about REI is that they're four-wheel unfriendly; as a company, they've pushed hard in the past for selective access to off-road areas (i.e. hikers and bikers only). I used to buy a lot of stuff from them nonetheless, as I chose to ignore that objection...but as they've gotten more militant about it, I've cut back. Kind of sucks, because I liked shopping there for certain things...but it's also kind of good because I've gone to more local, individual retailers and manufacturers since then.

Not to bring politics into this, but: the big thing that I don't like about REI is that they're four-wheel unfriendly; as a company, they've pushed hard in the past for selective access to off-road areas (i.e. hikers and bikers only). I used to buy a lot of stuff from them nonetheless, as I chose to ignore that objection...but as they've gotten more militant about it, I've cut back. Kind of sucks, because I liked shopping there for certain things...but it's also kind of good because I've gone to more local, individual retailers and manufacturers since then.
As I read through the recommendations in this thread, I just figured that the importance of maintaining access to our recreational areas had diminished to the point that it no longer mattered who cares about what we do or worse, who actively strives to limit our access.

As I read through the recommendations in this thread, I just figured that the importance of maintaining access to our recreational areas had diminished to the point that it no longer mattered who cares about what we do or worse, who actively strives to limit our access.

No, it's gotten more important to me over time...which is why I don't buy from certain brands unless its an absolute necessity (and that's very rare).

If you can find a military surplus store, the Military modular bags are super warm. They kept me warm in the mountains of Afghanistan, surely they can handle your situation. They can be had fairly cheap; use all three at the same time and you'll be super duper warm. I never had room to pack all 3 on mission, yet the green w/bivvy cover will do the trick; or you can snuggle for extra warmth.
https://www.armysurplusworld.com/used-us-gi-military-modular-sleeping-bag-system

Reactions: Artemis and Squatch

My sweet love making has no negative reviews. Check my yelp. All 5 stars.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Here is a link to a recent post explaining my decision as a jeeper not to patronize REI:

Despite the many good products offered by REI, I cannot patronize the company in good conscience because its official policy is not to encourage or promote offroad motorized recreation and because REI donates millions of dollars each year to organizations whose avowed purpose is to restrict or eliminate offroading on public lands. These organizations include the Sierra Club, National Forest Foundation, The Wilderness Society, Center for Biological Diversity, California Wilderness Coalition (the lobbying group that actually wrote the legislative bills introduced by Senators Feinstein and Boxer that closed millions of acres in the California desert), Arizona Wilderness Coalition, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance and others. REI also supports the Roadless Initiative which has the sole purpose of closing established jeep trails.

Reactions: Plumber1
Lol. I love your jeep too much to do a "Yo momma" joke.

But if i did, it would go along the lines of...

"Blah blah..... show some respect to your mother.... blah blah .... her name is Karen not fido."

Wait, is her name really Karen? Because that would be funny.

I didn't see anyone stressing the importance of a good pad. It serves 2 important purposes. It insulates you from the cold ground and can make sleeping on a hard surface much more comfortable.

Also, you should determine if you will ever want to use the gear you are buying for backpacking or not. For backpacking, size & weight are critically important, less being better. If you will never use the gear for backpacking, you can reap 2 benefits: saving money and being more comfortable.

The usage question also drives the insulation choice. Down is lighter and more expensive compared to synthetics. So if you won't be backpacking, you can probably find a really nice, roomy, warm, synthetic bag for a lot less than a comparable down bag.

Politics aside, REI is a great resource for access to and advice on outdoor gear even if you decide to buy elsewhere. Some REI stores rent equipment though I'm not sure if they rent sleeping bags or not.

I was unaware of REI's stance on that issue. Not sure I'd care to support such an establishment. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into that. Sounds like it could make for some interesting reading.

I was unaware of REI's stance on that issue. Not sure I'd care to support such an establishment. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into that. Sounds like it could make for some interesting reading.

Yeah, they're kind of hard-line anti-vehiclers; they don't advertise it, though, for good reason.

• Angry
I didn't see anyone stressing the importance of a good pad. It serves 2 important purposes. It insulates you from the cold ground and can make sleeping on a hard surface much more comfortable.

Also, you should determine if you will ever want to use the gear you are buying for backpacking or not. For backpacking, size & weight are critically important, less being better. If you will never use the gear for backpacking, you can reap 2 benefits: saving money and being more comfortable.

The usage question also drives the insulation choice. Down is lighter and more expensive compared to synthetics. So if you won't be backpacking, you can probably find a really nice, roomy, warm, synthetic bag for a lot less than a comparable down bag.

Politics aside, REI is a great resource for access to and advice on outdoor gear even if you decide to buy elsewhere. Some REI stores rent equipment though I'm not sure if they rent sleeping bags or not.
The wife has already stated that she will be getting a pad, so that's already on the radar. Thanks for bringing it up, though. (y) As far as backpacking goes, that is not in the plans, and becomes even less of a consideration with our advancing age. So I guess we can forgo the need for being lightweight, and focus on comfort. :)

So, I showed my wife the Wiggy's product line, and she seemed fairly impressed with what she saw. I did encourage her to look into some of the many different resources shared here by you good folks, however, so she can make the best choice for her needs. Though it was my intention to just get her a nice bag that I feel would work for her, she feels that much like her choice of firearms, this should be her decision to make. Point made, and taken. ;) I'll be sure and let you all know what she decides to go with!

Reactions: StG58
So, I showed my wife the Wiggy's product line, and she seemed fairly impressed with what she saw. I did encourage her to look into some of the many different resources shared here by you good folks, however, so she can make the best choice for her needs. Though it was my intention to just get her a nice bag that I feel would work for her, she feels that much like her choice of firearms, this should be her decision to make. Point made, and taken. ;) I'll be sure and let you all know what she decides to go with!

I'll also suggest some nice merino base layers; those are great for keeping warm when wet, and they also work well for snugglifying™ oneself in a cold sleeping bag.

Reactions: StG58 and Squatch
Wiggy’s.
I can’t recommend them enough. Light. Easy to maintain (wash and dry yourself, doesn’t need to be hung to stay lofted). Extremely packable. Warm even when wet.
I bought a Wiggy’s FTRSS when I was running sled dogs and winter camping. I have never slept cold even when it’s cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

https://www.wiggys.com/