Cold weather sleeping bag recommendations needed, please

The bag weighs 8.5 lbs., if I recall correctly, so definitely not something to be used for backpacking. The price was $294, and is U.S. made. The owner/founder does a series of videos that are definitely unscripted. He's highly opinionated, somewhat crotchety at times, and pulls no punches when it comes to what he thinks of the competition's overseas produced products. I was actually somewhat concerned that his videos would turn my wife away from his products, but it actually had just the opposite affect. She came to believe he knows his stuff. His tearing apart (literally opening up) a top of the line competitor's bag and pointing out its shortcomings was what convinced her that this was the brand she wanted to go with, and I was happy to agree with her. (y)
I wouldn’t have recommended Wiggy's if I didn’t believe in them. Your missus won’t be sorry. My wife loves hers.

Reactions: Squatch
For winter, I won't use anything that's above a 0F rated bag. I have a summer bag that's rated for 45 + a bagliner in case I need it.
I'd rather be sweating during winter in my bag than wake up cold
That's just me though. I tend to sleep hot, keep my house at 69 and sleep with nothing but a sheet most of the time

I have the Enigma from Enlightened equipment. Since I use an inflatable sleeping pad, I opted for the closed-foot, blanket style to save weight. I couldn't be happier with that purchase. You can pick your inner and outer color choices, and they custom make it for you. As for the Enigma, it's extremely lightweight, but it has served me well in 18 degrees. It has soft, expanding straps on the back so that it can be clipped around a sleeping pad. So, no twisting around or being tossed off of you while shifting.

I picked up a new bag in October. I had a -40 north face that was my dads back in the 80s, its a mummy bag which Ive never liked. I ended up with a rectangular -20 bag by Field & Stream from Dicks Sporting Goods. I think it was $125. Incredibly warm and comfortable. Its cotton lined, polyester filler, and canvas lined so seems pretty durable. Certainly would not work for a back packer as it is almost 15lbs. I never once got cold though on its first outing, if I had to guess it was probably down in the 30s. I just hate being cold

I have found I really dislike mummy bags too - along with the synthetic material, for jeeping trips I’ll have to look into something more like your option @tworley (keeping the mummy for packing trips).

Reactions: tworley
For people who hate being cold or don't mind some extra weight on a sleeping bag there is Tenier Industry US Military MSS sleeping bag https://wildproofgear.com/best-sleeping-bag-for-hammock/
Temp rate: -30+50
Weight: 10 lbs
Fill: Synthetic (very fluffy bag)
I haven't tested, but I'm sure it's more durable than any other sleeping bag for the price or even more.
It's super heavy, but performs well in the cold weather.

You can find something cheaper, more light weight or with pretty design, but there is no necessity to pay for features you don't need at all.

For people who hate being cold or don't mind some extra weight on a sleeping bag there is Tenier Industry US Military MSS sleeping bag https://wildproofgear.com/best-sleeping-bag-for-hammock/
Temp rate: -30+50
Weight: 10 lbs
Fill: Synthetic (very fluffy bag)
I haven't tested, but I'm sure it's more durable than any other sleeping bag for the price or even more.
It's super heavy, but performs well in the cold weather.

You can find something cheaper, more light weight or with pretty design, but there is no necessity to pay for features you don't need at all.

I own a few of these. And as long as your not hiking with it. And just living out of your Jeep. The MSS can't be beat. It's around $100. Here's one for $99. http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00148p.html?id=tNUcrCiH&mv_arg= It's in fair condition though. Better used ones can be found on ebay and CL. They are modular. As they are three bags in one. Including a goretex bivy cover. There a great bag. But like said, VERY heavy.

I’m not one to be cheap on camping gear but about 5 years ago my REI bag was accidentally placed in the donation pile at home. I discovered this just before a wheelin trip that I needed it for. We were doing a late night run where we were pitching camp in the snow around 2AM. My passenger and I were sleeping in hammocks and he recommended this cheap “world famous mountaineer” brand sleeping bag for like $35. I was skeptical of it but he hikes all the time and usually spends big money on his camp gear and has numerous bags. But it worked out real nice. I stayed real warm all night in a hammock in the snow with just a tarp over. I would definitely buy a better bag if I used it more but since it usually only gets used one time a year( usually camp in my camper) I’m fine with it

Reactions: Vasq
I’m not one to be cheap on camping gear but about 5 years ago my REI bag was accidentally placed in the donation pile at home.
Off subject, but this reminded me of what a gal at work did. She donated a bunch of stuff to Goodwill, including a small suitcase. A few months later, her husband asked where the suitcase was, and she told him. He informed her that his handgun was kept hidden in there.
It was never recovered.

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq