Cold weather starts and clutch not disengaging

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
2001 TJ 5 speed

So last winter and this winter when the temps hit 20-25F I noticed when I push in the clutch and crank the motor over the Jeep lurches forward with the motor. Only when sitting a couple days.

Anyone else experience this and any fix?

I guess i could just put in neutral, or maybe try pumping the clutch in and out couple times first.

Just odd.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like perhaps the clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder is stuck and causing the clutch to be slightly engaged upon starting it.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but in my head that seems like a possibility.

Yeah sounds like your master/slave cylinder has a leak. You can replace the entire unit cheaply.

Sounds like a plan.. as it did it ever so slightly in 60 degree temp this week.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

From a different perspective. I've been riding old Harley's for years, stock clutch packs in those are wet (run in oil) and have a tendency to stick/not disengage especially on colder days. that is why you hear harley riders give a rev when down shifting with the clutch in and coming to a stop,,, the oil acts like a vacuum and holds the plates together, the quick rev forces the plates to disengage. if you have a rear main seal leak, it might be getting your clutch wet and causing this issue. just a possibility.

Last edited: