College Budget Build

burdetter16

Hey everyone! Since I've been apart of the forum for a little while now, I decided I should start my own build thread. This is going to be a very slow build since I'm I'm a college student. I am very broke and I have to save up for a little while to buy parts and mods hahaha I also don't have the space or tools while I'm at school so I have to wait until I can go home a few hours away for any big projects. Also if you have any ideas on a name for my build I'm all ears! I couldn't think of anything good.

I have wanted a Jeep since the first time I saw one with the top and doors off when I was about 4 years old. When I was a freshman in high school an upperclassman buddy of mine had TJ and I thought it looked so much better than any newer Jeeps. He also taught me a little about the TJ and since then I new that I was going to one day have my own Jeep TJ.

Fast forward to my sophomore year of college, after the dream of owning a Jeep had been pushed to the back burner, another friend of mine who shared the same dream pulled the trigger and got a 98 TJ Sport which re inspired me to get one. I started figuring out logistics in order to get my own when COVID hit and everything shut down so it got put on hold for a little while longer. Even though this was disappointing it ended up being a good thing because with all of my classes moving to online I was able to get a full time job and save almost every bit of the income I made. I also worked at a camp in Missouri over the summer where I didn't really need a car so I sold my current car. I was also able to save most of the money that I made from camp as well. This allowed me to buy my Jeep without a loan so I didn't have to go in debt! Toward the end of summer I found a listing for a TJ that was in my budget and that was in over all good condition. Since I was still at camp my dad and my friend who had gotten his own TJ recently went to look at it for me and decided that it was a good one to get so they bought it for me and I got right to work as soon as I got home. It's a white 2001 Sahara with 126,000 miles. 32RH transmission. It has Dana 35 front and rear and 3.73 gears/. When I bought it it had 33" BFG KO's, a 3" BL, and a Warn 8000 winch that didn't work but everything else was stock.

Here are a few pics from the listing when I bought it:
IMG_2515.PNGIMG_2517.PNGIMG_2518.PNGIMG_2516.PNGIMG_2508.PNG
IMG_2509.PNGIMG_2511.PNG

It desperately needed some TLC but everything mechanically was in great shape and it was rust free!

First thing to was give the interior a deep clean because it was FILTHY when I got it. This was after an entire morning of cleaning. You can still see it's pretty dirty even after that.

LDIS7642.JPG

After it was all cleaned out and put back together it started making a weird grinding sound in the rear diff when I would turn at low speeds. I was super worried and was preparing to completely replace the differential or even the whole axle. Luckily, I asked a family friend whos a mechanic and he told me I just needed to add some extra lubricant called limited slip gear oil additive to the differential. I was already planning on changing the differential fluid and gasket so I added the oil additive when I did that and it got rid of the grinding. A cheap and easy fix!

I came across a pair of seats for a pretty good deal and jumped on it because my seats were ripped, faded, and very stained, plus I love the pattern of these seats. I think someone else on the forum nicknamed them "Crazy Triangle".
IMG_2531.PNG

IMG_E2080.JPG
First time taking it offroad! Just some easy trails with my friend who I mentioned earlier :)

Next I needed to get new tires because the ones that were on it were pretty old and brittle. I decided to go down to 31s because I live in Dallas for school and do a lot of highway driving and I figured they'd probably be a little better on road while still having decent offroad capability.
IMG_2163.JPG
With 31's and BL still installed

31's would also let me ditch the horrendous body lift!
IMG_2141.JPG

Much better!
IMG_2191.JPG

Next I repainted the faded and discolored hard top.
IMG_2188.JPG

Even in stock form this machine is co capable!
IMG_E2245.JPG
IMG_E2532.JPG

Finally got some carpet installed! Which helped a lot with road noise and heat coming up from the transmission.
IMG_2298.JPG

After trying for a while to get the winch that came with it to work I eventually gave up and got a Smittybilt XRC 9500.
IMG_E2326.JPG

And that pretty much sums up my progress so far! Still a long way to go to get it where I want it but I think I've made pretty good headway so far. I'm excited to keep working on it and keep updating this thread!

Thanks for reading!

Just to help you out here a little.
You have a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 35 rear axle. They are both low pinion axles to add a little more information. It's a good looking rig and appears to be overall in good shape. You've done some nice work to it so far.

Save your pennies and keep at it and you'll keep fixing it up the way you want. But you can still have fun with it just the way it sits now.

I forgot to add that with the stock gears in it you made the right choice by going back down to 31" tires over the 33" tires. Once you can afford the bigger ticket items then plan on regearing your axles when you go to larger tires. But have fun with it now and as it grows.

Last edited:
Great looking TJ!

As you may have already learned from being on the forum, these things are very capable even in stock form. Add some lockers to it and you've got a rig that on 31s will go just about anywhere you need it to other than the really, really big rocks.

I look forward to following your progress with it.

Hell, I wish I had a TJ when I was in college. I was too busy focusing on BMWs and women to even know TJs existed. Funny thing is, this TJ is the most fun I've ever had on 4-wheels, and that's coming from someone who has owned some seriously badass cars (Hellcat, Corvette, ZL1 Camaro, M3, M5, etc.).

Just to help you out here a little.
You have a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 35 rear axle. They are both low pinion axles to add a little more information. It's a good looking rig and appears to be overall in good shape. You've done some nice work to it so far.

Save your pennies and keep at it and you'll keep fixing it up the way you want. But you can still have fun with it just the way it sits now.
Thank you! The lady who sold it to said it was 35 in both but I trust anyone on this forum a lot more than her cause, even though I never met her, it seems like she didn't know too much haha

I've been having tons of fun with it!

Great looking TJ!

As you may have already learned from being on the forum, these things are very capable even in stock form. Add some lockers to it and you've got a rig that on 31s will go just about anywhere you need it to other than the really, really big rocks.

Hell, I wish I had a TJ when I was in college. I was too busy focusing on BMWs and women to even know TJs existed. Funny thing is, this TJ is the most fun I've ever had on 4-wheels, and that's coming from someone who has owned some seriously badass cars (Hellcat, Corvette, ZL1 Camaro, M3, M5, etc.).
Thanks so much!

Lockers are definitely in the future

That's an impressive rap sheet! Owning some kind of classic muscle car is on the bucket list for me as well!

I'm always amazed at WHAT people DON'T know about their rigs. And I always laugh when I read an ad from some dealership that says they have a Jeep TJ with a 4.0 V-6 engine.....

Unless it is a Rubicon model it came with a Dana 30 front and a Dana 35 or 44 rear axle. The Rubicon model came with a Dana 44 front & rear. The way you can tell if your rear is a Dana 35 or 44 is a Dana 35 came with a rubber plug in the stock cover where the Dana 44 came with a metal screw in plug. The shape between the two axles is also very different.

1607494109949.jpg

Reactions: motomick76
Unless it is a Rubicon model it came with a Dana 30 front and a Dana 35 or 44 rear axle. The Rubicon model came with a Dana 44 front & rear. The way you can tell if your rear is a Dana 35 or 44 is a Dana 35 came with a rubber plug in the stock cover where the Dana 44 came with a metal screw in plug. The shape between the two axles is also very different.
That's super helpful thanks! I'll have to look tomorrow and confirm what I have

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Great looking TJ!

Agree, I think it's because you can basically rebuild the TJ from the ground up in almost any configuration. Plus, at least for me, I don't worry about getting a few dings and scratches or even breaking things because I can most likely fix them and keep going. You can modify other cars like you listed above but they are limited as to what you can do especially with traffic and speed limits and all.

Agree, I think it's because you can basically rebuild the TJ from the ground up in almost any configuration. Plus, at least for me, I don't worry about getting a few dings and scratches or even breaking things because I can most likely fix them and keep going. You can modify other cars like you listed above but they are limited as to what you can do especially with traffic and speed limits and all.
I was looking for one that was mostly stock just so I could build it from the ground up like you said. That is true and I don’t see speed limit being too big of an issue in a Jeep hahaha

Last edited:
I learned from owning that Hellcat that 707 HP does no good whatsoever unless you live next to a race track 🤣

Very nice find and good job on fixing it up! My favorites have always been the white Saharas with the two tone interiors like we share. It is sad to see the drivers seat did not fare so well. I think you did right thing going from 33 to 31's. I had 33's on, and it was terrible until I re-geared. Making jump to anything larger than 31's needs re-gearing. Have fun!

Very nice find and good job on fixing it up! My favorites have always been the white Saharas with the two tone interiors like we share. It is sad to see the drivers seat did not fare so well. I think you did right thing going from 33 to 31's. I had 33's on, and it was terrible until I re-geared. Making jump to anything larger than 31's needs re-gearing. Have fun!
Thank you! I love the two tone seats when they are in good condition but mine were pretty bad. Super faded, almost to like a greyish color, a really bad rip on the driver seat, and some... interesting... stains on the passenger seat.IMG_2479.JPG

I will probably rear gear in order to go back up to 33's eventually. Just have to save up:rolleyes:

One thing if you want a small bump in gearing is to look for someone parting out a 4 cylinder TJ. If it's a manual transmission rig they came with 4.10 gearing stock. Not a big jump from 3.73 but would work for 33" tires for a while.

Reactions: motomick76
One thing if you want a small bump in gearing is to look for someone parting out a 4 cylinder TJ. If it's a manual transmission rig they came with 4.10 gearing stock. Not a big jump from 3.73 but would work for 33" tires for a while.
I'll have to look into that thank you!