Colorado Colorado bound

Ive been following this as well. We are coming Colorado in July. Will be in the Grand lake area. Ive fished and hiked that area a lot and used the gazetteer maps and topos from REI. Are thos still reliable? We do have a portable GPS but not a fan of them. They are always wrong when I need them the most. I prefer to use a compass and paper maps when heading to back country. We are wanting to drive some trails while there.

I'm not aware of many of what I'd call "jeep trails" in that area since it's somewhat embedded in Rocky Mountain NP which mostly overlaps with wilderness area (no mechanical travel allowed), but it is a fairly short drive from Roosevelt and Arapaho NF and Medicine Bow/Routt NF. When I'm in NF land I use Avenza maps on my Android phone and download the USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the ranger districts for the NF I'm visiting.

Outside of national forest I download the gpx files from trailsoffroad.com and import them into whatever GPS app I'm wanting to use. I usually use Backcountry Navigator with the included topo map for that. But you could import them into your GPS device as well.

Reactions: Ericict
I'm not aware of many of what I'd call "jeep trails" in that area since it's somewhat embedded in Rocky Mountain NP which mostly overlaps with wilderness area (no mechanical travel allowed), but it is a fairly short drive from Roosevelt and Arapaho NF and Medicine Bow/Routt NF. When I'm in NF land I use Avenza maps on my Android phone and download the USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the ranger districts for the NF I'm visiting.

Outside of national forest I download the gpx files from trailsoffroad.com and import them into whatever GPS app I'm wanting to use. I usually use Backcountry Navigator with the included topo map for that. But you could import them into your GPS device as well.
Great website, thank you. Is the all access worth the cost? Thank you for the tips, there is lots of good stuff there.

@jjvw, @freedom_in_4low

Wanted to say thank you for the pointers on the maps. We had a great time and we had a chance take the princess offroad and get her nails dirty. My better half wasn't real happy in a few locations and I am sure left finger indentions in the grab bar, but we had fun. On the way home, she said we should do that again. HOOKED! What to do about the drive across western KS and Eastern Co. Long day in a TJ.

@jjvw, @freedom_in_4low

Wanted to say thank you for the pointers on the maps. We had a great time and we had a chance take the princess offroad and get her nails dirty. My better half wasn't real happy in a few locations and I am sure left finger indentions in the grab bar, but we had fun. On the way home, she said we should do that again. HOOKED! What to do about the drive across western KS and Eastern Co. Long day in a TJ.

Glad you had a good time! Hope to see where you went and see some photos.

I'm with you on the drive. I have family in Oklahoma City and we go down there a couple times a year. There are about 4 major routes we can take and I70 is my least favorite...and would be the worst in a TJ for sure.