Colorado Colorado bound

MoJeep

Its about time, Headed for Colorado this summer to run some back roads my first time. I'm taking a 2000 TJ 4.0 stock open with 33s and a 4" lift will be trailing. I would like some opinions on upgrades before I go {money being tight}. Here in the great State of Missouri I mostly run old logging roads mud holes and hills and my stock jeep does great, Colorado may be a bit more.

Reactions: Chris
You will be fine. Just make sure your Jeep it running good and your brakes are in good condition. You will be at high elevation so drink plenty of water to stay hydrated you don’t want elevation sickness. Remember that those traveling uphill have the right of way. And please stay the trail. If you get closer to time I can guide or point out the trails to you that are open etc. don’t come too early in the season. Looks to be a good snowpack this year as well. Slot of the trails did not open until late July this year

Reactions: KennedyLJ
Sway bar disconnects, a Jerry can of gas, air compressor, good solid tow hooks front and rear, low center of gravity. Try to keep track of where you are, were you want to go, and have alternates. Some of the trails are practically paved with lose stones. UTVs are very popular and the trails are shaped by that. Spend plenty of time enjoying the scenery other than through the windshield.

You will be fine. Just make sure your Jeep it running good and your brakes are in good condition. You will be at high elevation so drink plenty of water to stay hydrated you don’t want elevation sickness. Remember that those traveling uphill have the right of way. And please stay the trail. If you get closer to time I can guide or point out the trails to you that are open etc. don’t come too early in the season. Looks to be a good snowpack this year as well. Slot of the trails did not open until late July this year
I was thinking Sept.

Sway bar disconnects, a Jerry can of gas, air compressor, good solid tow hooks front and rear, low center of gravity. Try to keep track of where you are, were you want to go, and have alternates. Some of the trails are practically paved with lose stones. UTVs are very popular and the trails are shaped by that. Spend plenty of time enjoying the scenery other than through the windshield.
I do like to hike, you think I may need extra gas

Sept is great. Leaves changing and great temps. High Altitude will have chances for light snow by then. So bring warm clothes. No need for extra fuel. I’ve done just about every trail I can think of. Never needed extra fuel tank other than to fill up someone else or to light a wet campfire. With a factory size tank you will be fine. Just fill up in the morning and if you get to a town top off. Then hit the next set of trails.

I do like to hike, you think I may need extra gas
Probably not but it makes me feel better having it. I’ve been out there and beyond a few times and have never actually used my extra fuel. One of my trip legs was @180 miles between fuel points and I didn’t want to have to miss out on short side trips over the worry of running out, so started the packing along Jerry can Just in case.

Probably not but it makes me feel better having it. I’ve been out there and beyond a few times and have never actually used my extra fuel. One of my trip legs was @180 miles between fuel points and I didn’t want to have to miss out on short side trips over the worry of running out, so started the packing along Jerry can Just in case.
You linked 180 miles of off-road trails in CO without running through a town. Or close enough to one to grab fuel? That’s impressive. I’ve got gps routes for single track and almost all dirt exclusive dirt bike riding for all over the state and can usually always not have to worry about carrying extra fuel even. And it only has a 150ish mile range depending on my throttle control. Like I can go from Colorado Springs to Breckenridge with less than 15 miles of pavement and still wind up with a fill up stop half way there. I’m impressed if you did. I want to know the route so I can go hit it.

You linked 180 miles of off-road trails in CO without running through a town. Or close enough to one to grab fuel? That’s impressive. I’ve got gps routes for single track and almost all dirt exclusive dirt bike riding for all over the state and can usually always not have to worry about carrying extra fuel even. And it only has a 150ish mile range depending on my throttle control. Like I can go from Colorado Springs to Breckenridge with less than 15 miles of pavement and still wind up with a fill up stop half way there. I’m impressed if you did. I want to know the route so I can go hit it.
Not 180 of off-highway. I once had one leg in Utah between Blanding and Moab that included a long ride into Canyonlands Anticline Overlook and checking out a few of the little branches and alternates. In the end I didn’t need fuel. I can reliably go between 180-200 miles between no-worries fill ups, depending on the driving. Extra gas was easy to tote and cheap insurance.

Its about time, Headed for Colorado this summer to run some back roads my first time. I'm taking a 2000 TJ 4.0 stock open with 33s and a 4" lift will be trailing. I would like some opinions on upgrades before I go {money being tight}. Here in the great State of Missouri I mostly run old logging roads mud holes and hills and my stock jeep does great, Colorado may be a bit more.
I have a setup similar to yours, 4” lift on 33s with no lockers. I run it all over various Utah ranges during the summer and have been down to Moab without any issues. I haven’t wheeled in Co but I’d imagine you can go almost everywhere, just do some research and have a plan.
Instead of upgrades I’d recommend you focus your resources on maintenance and making sure that your TJ is in great running shape. It’d suck to have something crap out on your trip!

No need for the extra weight of fuel. There are stations in between you can top off at before hitting the trail. Since your open, I recommend a winch up front. Also recommend an easy way to deflate tires. Go as low as 10 psi for a smooth ride. A pair of disconnects and a way to air back up either thru on board air or a co2 tank

Reactions: Blackegg
Some of the downhills are long and steep. You'll want to be using your gears and throttle to control your speed. If you rely too heavily on your brakes, you might end up without brakes.

All the advice is spot on, I spend my summers in Co. and enjoy wheeling the high passes, Black Bear, Imogene, etc.
Be sure your jeep is tight and up to date on service, have never needed extra fuel on any run, as mentioned, be sure to top off before starting. Have never been east of the San Juans to wheel, don't know anybody there but am sure they have a ton of great places.

Colorado in September is the worst. ;)

Ophir.jpg

Have never been east of the San Juans to wheel, don't know anybody there but am sure they have a ton of great places.

There are great trails scattered throughout the state but no area has the concentration of the San Juans. The southern Sawatch (in a rectangle contained between Buena Vista, Salida, Gunnison, and Crested Butte) and the more immediate Buena Vista area is probably 2nd after the San Juans, but still probably only about half of what the San Juans are in terms of the sheer miles of gorgeous scenery.

Trailsoffroad is a great resource for finding trails. I think it's something like $25/yr but well worth it for Colorado.

Ive been following this as well. We are coming Colorado in July. Will be in the Grand lake area. Ive fished and hiked that area a lot and used the gazetteer maps and topos from REI. Are thos still reliable? We do have a portable GPS but not a fan of them. They are always wrong when I need them the most. I prefer to use a compass and paper maps when heading to back country. We are wanting to drive some trails while there.