Colorado Daily-Driven Trail Warrior V2 - 2006 LJ

The LJ got new Sunglasses today.

Took the LJ by my detailing shop today to have some window tint installed onto the two front doors.

No real reason, other than a sense of privacy if I want to roll my windows up and not look at people. :ROFLMAO:

Also wanted a windshield strip, because the TJ/LJ 'sunvisors' might as well be thrown out completely.
They're so small and limited in their movement that I can't block the sun with them 80% of the time.

Had Lumar 15% installed, to match up with the Hardtop tint level.
Entire job came out clean, and installation was smooth. (about 30 min)

View attachment 503403

View attachment 503404

View attachment 503405

View attachment 503406

Do they allow prescription for tint out there? I have a prescription on all my vehicles which allows me to tint the full windshield to 50% it's very nice.

My thought on the wider wheels is they may be transfering more road imperfections than a narrower wheel. I have no scientific evidence to back that up, just a thought.

Reactions: zachpeakee
Do they allow prescription for tint out there? I have a prescription on all my vehicles which allows me to tint the full windshield to 50% it's very nice.

Sadly, Colorado does NOT recognize prescription tinting, based on my experience.

I had a 5-year run with Leukemia when I was younger.
Prescription tint & 'skin protection' have been something I was used to having in South Carolina.
(although I think I used it more because I 'could' rather than actually needing it)

However when I moved here a few years ago, I was forced to remove tint from my GTI, and explained that my prescription had no purpose here.
The tint law is the law, period.

That being said, I believe the law is a 27% limit on the sides, and a 70% limit on the front windshield..
BUT as I was in the shop yesterday chatting it up with my installer, he told me that the police here won't pull you over specifically for tinting violations.
(unsure how true/untrue that may be)

My thought on the wider wheels is they may be transfering more road imperfections than a narrower wheel. I have no scientific evidence to back that up, just a thought.

You know, I've heard that a LOT as well.
I just don't quite think I agree with it, and personally I think it's bullshit/placebo effect.

There are plenty of well driving vehicles that drive great, with a much wider wheelbase than the TJ/LJ platform, as well as wider tires!

You know, I've heard that a LOT as well.
I just don't quite think I agree with it, and personally I think it's bullshit/placebo effect.

There are plenty of well driving vehicles that drive great, with a much wider wheelbase than the TJ/LJ platform, as well as wider tires!

Yeah, but those vehicles are probably designed around the wider wheel package and therefore have an appropriate scrub radius. Wide wheels and shallow backspacing will screw up the scrub radius and allow the road to push the tires around a lot more than they would in the factory condition. Not saying you have that issue, but there is a reason behind the stereotype and while it may not apply 100%, its also not bullshit.

Yeah, but those vehicles are probably designed around the wider wheel package and therefore have an appropriate scrub radius. Wide wheels and shallow backspacing will screw up the scrub radius and allow the road to push the tires around a lot more than they would in the factory condition. Not saying you have that issue, but there is a reason behind the stereotype and while it may not apply 100%, its also not bullshit.

I can 100% agree to that.
I was a bit dense in calling it 'bullshit'.

I know there are reasonings/logic/engineering behind it.
I guess I should have said I don't agree with the idea that wider tires drive bad 90% of the time.

However, I do plan to go narrower on my next wheel/tire combo, so it's an issue I will be able to compare and know how wrong/right I am in my thinking.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Tom Woods Shaft + Advanced Adapters SYE has been ordered.

1708731066666.png

1708731073738.png

I've been on the search for a rear bumper as well.
I want something that sits as close to the tub as possible, to help alleviate any departure angle issues that the longer LJ tub creates.
I also do not plan to have a hitch reciever, as I don't have any need to pull a trailer or mount a hitch.
I've been looking for the most simple, no frills, basic recovery accessible bumper I can find.

Funnily enough, I'm about to pull the trigger on one that caught my eye, and serves every purpose I want.
It also happens to be the cheapest option of all the rear bumpers that i've been interested in, at only $100.

The Barnes 4WD Bumper Plate..

1708731381739.png

1708731403652.png

As simple as it may be, it seems to be EXACTLY what I've been picturing in my head.
For the price it seems to be worth every penny, it's also extremely simple (easily modified in the future), and effective for the issues that I currently have with the rear of the LJ.
It also mounts flush to the rear, so technically I shouldn't have any issues mounting a spare tire onto the rear as far as bumper-clearance is concerned.

I've got a lot of work to do in the next few days, with the Front Axle refresh being delivered, plus the SYE/DS , as well as bumper mods.

Last edited:
I am also looking for a new rear bumper for my LJ. I am hesitating on this type of narrow bumper due to the tub corners being exposed to take a hit coming off a ledge. The pictures from the manufacturer always show a stretched wheelbase on 40’s with no corner left to hit, a bit misleading. I’ve got corner armor but not sure I trust it to take a big hit. Are you going to put on corner armor?

I've been on the search for a rear bumper as well.
I want something that sits as close to the tub as possible, to help alleviate any departure angle issues that the longer LJ tub creates.
I also do not plan to have a hitch reciever, as I don't have any need to pull a trailer or mount a hitch.
I've been looking for the most simple, no frills, basic recovery accessible bumper I can find.

Funnily enough, I'm about to pull the trigger on one that caught my eye, and serves every purpose I want.
It also happens to be the cheapest option of all the rear bumpers that i've been interested in, at only $100.

The Barnes 4WD Bumper Plate..

View attachment 503642

View attachment 503643

As simple as it may be, it seems to be EXACTLY what I've been picturing in my head.
For the price it seems to be worth every penny, it's also extremely simple (easily modified in the future), and effective for the issues that I currently have with the rear of the LJ.
It also mounts flush to the rear, so technically I shouldn't have any issues mounting a spare tire onto the rear as far as bumper-clearance is concerned.

I've got a lot of work to do in the next few days, with the Front Axle refresh being delivered, plus the SYE/DS , as well as bumper mods.

You want a bumper plate that fully wraps the underside of the crossmember. Swag and Next Venture do this. Barnes and GenRight do not.

Reactions: zachpeakee
I am also looking for a new rear bumper for my LJ. I am hesitating on this type of narrow bumper due to the tub corners being exposed to take a hit coming off a ledge. The pictures from the manufacturer always show a stretched wheelbase on 40’s with no corner left to hit, a bit misleading. I’ve got corner armor but not sure I trust it to take a big hit. Are you going to put on corner armor?

If he starts doing trails out here where the value of a low profile bumper matters, then he will want corner armor.
20210403_152401.jpg

20210720_224609.jpg

20210724_172453.jpg

20240128_134811.jpg

@jjvw, that’s a good illustration of the corner exposure with a stubby bumper. Did your corner armor fully solve the problem / take the hits?

@jjvw, that’s a good illustration of the corner exposure with a stubby bumper. Did your corner armor fully solve the problem / take the hits?

I have landed on the corner armor. It does what it should do. My Savvy stuff was all designed with Johnson Valley, CA as the test bed, which is far more aggressive than anything we have out here.

The big issue with the factory corners is that the only thing holding them to the rear torque box under the tailgate are those little spot welds that I tore apart. Once those go away, then only the C pillar of the roll bar and some body panel adhesive is holding the corner in place.

When most good full coverage corner armor gets installed, there will be at least one nutsert drilled through the torque box with a bolt clamping the torque box, body corner and the corner armor together into a single unit.

I added more nutserts and bolts into mine for a total of 4 per side going into the rear torque box.
20230331_174353.jpg

20230331_185033.jpg

Then I recently built the rear valance cover to further structurally tie the rear corners together.
20240127_161904.jpg

You want a bumper plate that fully wraps the underside of the crossmember. Swag and Next Venture do this. Barnes and GenRight do not.

I plan to handle this part myself.
For the price, it's tough to pass on the Barnes as a base template.

Next Venture was in the plans, but I can't justify spending $469 (4x more than the Barnes) for their bumper, when I have the knowledge/know-how of fabrication & welding.

If he starts doing trails out here where the value of a low profile bumper matters, then he will want corner armor.

Ultimately, this is the plan.
Excuse my 5 minute photo-shop

C33EFEDB-5D63-41D3-9EA4-DB1711510F16.jpg
The Barnes kit is the easiest 'base' to build off of, in order to accomplish what I need.
It's not worth my time to slap flat-stock and drill holes, when the Barnes already accomplishes that for only $100.

The rest requires a bit of ingenuity/knowhow and access to some proper tools.
Some .120 wall tubing bent around the base edges of the tub should protect against any tub damage.

Tied into the bumper plate in some manner, to provide some structural integrity/triangulation.

...and in my head would still be better utilization of the idea, versus spending the extra cash on the NV bumper.

Please feel free to tear apart my idea in any way you see fit though, as I always enjoy the additional opinions on what could/should/needs to be done differently.

Last edited:

Ultimately, this is the plan.
Excuse my 5 minute photo-shop

View attachment 503703.
The Barnes kit is the easiest 'base' to build off of, in order to accomplish what I need.
Some .120 wall tubing around the base edges of the tub should protect against any tub damage.

...and in my head would still be better utilization of the idea, versus spending the extra cash on the NV bumper.

That's hideous. But if you like it, go for it. 🤣

Nice solution @jjvw, thanks for the reply. Food for thought for a bumper decision. BTW, great threat @zachpeakee! The speed at which you a building this LJ is impressive and makes me feel like I am a sloth!

I SAID EXCUSE THE 5 MINUTE PHOTOSHOP. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

End goal would be much more thought-out than that. Hopefully.

My argument would be that you can't get hung up on what isn't there. Then you make what is there able to take the abuse.

Nice solution @jjvw, thanks for the reply. Food for thought for a bumper decision. BTW, great threat @zachpeakee! The speed at which you a building this LJ is impressive and makes me feel like I am a sloth!

I appreciate that, but don't feel bad about it. :ROFLMAO:

I'm only building the LJ this quickly because I had most of this stuff already on my previous TJ, and have a little bit of 'spending money' set aside from the TJ sale. I'm also severely impulsive.

My argument would be that you can't get hung up on what isn't there. Then you make what is there able to take the abuse.

This is true as well in so many ways.

It'd need a bit more thought on my end, before I throw it on the LJ.
I'm rather particular about bumpers, and from what i've seen I don't like 95% of what's available currently.

However, I also don't like the idea of spending time/effort creating something that I may/may not like.

The joys of spending time/money to tear shit up again, amirite. :ROFLMAO:

I'm also going through the issues of MOST of my welding/fabrication equipment is all the way back at my families shop in South Carolina.
Which to this point hasn't been a problem. I visit regularly, and just weld/fab things as needed.

However, something like a bumper I would need the LJ to be there with me to get the bends/angles correct, and that just isn't feasible.
So possibly on this next trip 'home' to see family, I might bring some hydraulic benders and such back with me to do it here in-house.