Colorado Daily-Driven Trail Warrior V2 - 2006 LJ

THE LJ IS ALIVE AND THRIVING!

The day is finally here. The LJ is drivable, operable, and I am beyond excited about it.

The Revolution Gear Chromoly Shafts were delivered earlier today.

View attachment 499421

View attachment 499422

I spent about an hour or so pulling the shafts out, and getting the races pulled out of the axle housing..

View attachment 499423

View attachment 499424

View attachment 499426

THIS is the extent of damage, of installing Disc shafts on a Drum housing.
There's a difference in the Retainers, which I knew about and tossed in the back of my mind, and it ended up being a costly mistake.

(note, the retainer plate is SUPPOSED to be completely flat...)

View attachment 499425

100% the source of my shaft play & seal leak.
Got the new Revolution Chromoly Shafts lubed up & installed within a few minutes.
(this process is soooo much quicker due to Revolution shipping the shafts with bearings/retainer/seals pre-pressed. Mine were also pre-greased on arrival)

I still took some time to lube up the inner splines with Gear Oil, as well as saturating the outer bearings with gear oil before install.

View attachment 499428

Then I threw the LJ in the air one last time to double check torque specs on everything, as well as fill the differential fluid back up.
Once everything was triple checked, I FINALLY pulled it out of the garage for the first time in 8 days.

View attachment 499429

View attachment 499430

View attachment 499431

View attachment 499432

I drove it about 10 miles total (don't have a tag on it yet, so I can only do so much until I can make it to the DMV)

It surprised the hell out of me during those 10 miles.
Drove straight as an arrow. No pulls, no weird tendencies, it drove as good if not better than stock.
Return to center is great, and the entire driving characteristics were far beyond what I was expecting on the 'maiden voyage'.
Better than my TJ EVER drove, and my TJ drove great!

I blame some of the driving characteristics on how deep I decided to go when setting up the Control Arms, and also learning what I was ACTUALLY doing, and how it would affect the various geometries.

But, there's a few small kinks I'd like to work out before officially calling it "done".

I've got a front passenger brake that is making some 'scuff' noises (assuming I probably under-tightened something, or possibly some fluid on the rotor)

Also I have a driveline vibration around 65mph (blaming this due to the lack of an SYE)

I could adjust some rear pinion angle to alleviate the driveline vibes, but I doubt I'll mess with the rear pinion angle much until I get an SYE ordered and installed.
(if anyone wants to chime in on the SSYE vs SYE debate, let me hear it!)

For now, it's handling far beyond my initial expectations, and I am absolutely STOKED that it is not only back in operable condition, but with how great it felt on the road.

I went into this not knowing what to expect, and even surprised myself some along the way.
I'm no stranger to tearing things apart, but the anxiety of tearing TWO perfectly good things apart, and getting them back together is a shocker to me.
This one deserves a beer or seven. :ROFLMAO: 🤘

(if everything goes smoothly, the TJ should have a Track-Bar installed tomorrow, and hopefully will be in good driving order)

Congratulations man, I know how that feels and it's awesome!

I'm sure you noticed, but I threw some 3/4" coil spacers in the box with the bump stop extensions, just in case the springs sat different under the LJ than they did on the TJ. Not saying you need them, if you do it's not obvious from the photos.

Ok SYE, there's not really a good reason to go super short on an LJ...the shaft is a mile long. I have one because I bought it for the TJ. I do appreciate having a speed sensor and an electronic box to adjust rather than buying a Speedo gear, but at this point I'm pretty much done making adjustments.

However...doesn't the TJ have a SYE? I'd be kinda surprised if the shaft and pinion ended up in the right relationship with stock control arms and no lift, so you may actually need to take it off and go back to stock...have you had it up to highway speed since getting it rolling?

Reactions: Wildman
Congratulations man, I know how that feels and it's awesome!

I'm sure you noticed, but I threw some 3/4" coil spacers in the box with the bump stop extensions, just in case the springs sat different under the LJ than they did on the TJ. Not saying you need them, if you do it's not obvious from the photos.

Ok SYE, there's not really a good reason to go super short on an LJ...the shaft is a mile long. I have one because I bought it for the TJ. I do appreciate having a speed sensor and an electronic box to adjust rather than buying a Speedo gear, but at this point I'm pretty much done making adjustments.

However...doesn't the TJ have a SYE? I'd be kinda surprised if the shaft and pinion ended up in the right relationship with stock control arms and no lift, so you may actually need to take it off and go back to stock...have you had it up to highway speed since getting it rolling?

I noticed the coil spacers in the box, and I appreciate you tossing them in, although I doubt I'll need them.

I am dealing with the same right-rear sag as I was on the TJ, so I might space the right rear to level things out, but not sure if 3/4" is the ticket or not.

The TJ DOES have an SYE, but I haven't gotten the Track Bar mounted on the TJ to test drive it.
That's more than likely happening today (although it just started snowing and is cold as penguin nuts in the garage).

I'm HOPING the SYE doesn't cause vibrations on the TJ.
I had pondered the idea of pulling the SYE from the TJ and throwing it on the LJ, but then I would need a driveshaft for both the LJ AND the TJ.

I'm going to see as soon as the Track Bar is on.

I noticed the coil spacers in the box, and I appreciate you tossing them in, although I doubt I'll need them.

I am dealing with the same right-rear sag as I was on the TJ, so I might space the right rear to level things out, but not sure if 3/4" is the ticket or not.

The TJ DOES have an SYE, but I haven't gotten the Track Bar mounted on the TJ to test drive it.
That's more than likely happening today (although it just started snowing and is cold as penguin nuts in the garage).

I'm HOPING the SYE doesn't cause vibrations on the TJ.
I had pondered the idea of pulling the SYE from the TJ and throwing it on the LJ, but then I would need a driveshaft for both the LJ AND the TJ.

I'm going to see as soon as the Track Bar is on.

You'll have vibrations...with the factory control arms, the pinion angle is going to be way off. But, you have those other adjustable uppers that you can throw on to make it work.

The TJ is ALMOST Ready to Sell!

Spent the majority of the day in the garage with a hard focus on the TJ.

Installed the JKS Track-Bar that @Mike_H sent , with no issues.
Got the front axle aligned side-to-side, and tightened everything down.

Just as a final Kudos, I also had 2 brand new drum brake cylinders in the box.
I decided to tear into the rear drums, and replace those just as a 'peace of mind' for the next owner.

I also topped off the differentials, and spent some time bleeding all the brakes & topping off fluids!

Then the TJ came out of the Garage for the first time in 2 weeks.

...and let me just say, it drove BEAUTIFULLY.

Despite still having an SYE on factory/OEM control arms, there were absolutely no driveline vibrations whatsoever.
It tracked, steered, and held it's lane like it was fresh off the showroom floor.

1707706306724.png

I took it down a little side dirt-road, just to snap some photos.

1707706349395.png

1707706365663.png

1707706381516.png

1707706396728.png

It drove better than it's EVER driven, despite how deep I went on the axle swaps.
I believe(d) the TJ is ready for a deep cleaning, and to go to its next owner.

...that was until I pulled it back into the garage after driving it 20 miles, and it decided to throw THIS P0205 code on my street.

The smells of unburnt fuel, combined with what I'll describe as running in "limp mode"...

1707706570427.png

The TJ has thrown an Engine code TWICE in my entire ownership.
Both times it has been this P0205 code, which usually resolves itself with a quick off/on of the engine.

Similar to the previous time, I turned the Jeep off, cranked it back up, and the code was gone again..

Being the kind of person I am, I would rather fix this issue, versus selling it with the known problem, so I guess it's time to track down the cause.

Aside from that, She's going for a hard pressure wash tomorrow, as well as a deep interior clean/scrub.
Then once the P0205 issue is fixed, she's going to go up for sale!

I decided to tear into the rear drums, and replace those just as a 'peace of mind' for the next owner.

I also topped off the differentials, and spent some time bleeding all the brakes & topping off fluids!

Despite still having an SYE on factory/OEM control arms, there were absolutely no driveline vibrations whatsoever.
It tracked, steered, and held it's lane like it was fresh off the showroom floor.

View attachment 499893

View attachment 499894

View attachment 499895

View attachment 499896

View attachment 499897

It drove better than it's EVER driven, despite how deep I went on the axle swaps.

...that was until I pulled it back into the garage after driving it 20 miles, and it decided to throw THIS P0205 code on my street.

The smells of unburnt fuel, combined with what I'll describe as running in "limp mode"...

View attachment 499899

Both times it has been this P0205 code, which usually resolves itself with a quick off/on of the engine.

Similar to the previous time, I turned the Jeep off, cranked it back up, and the code was gone again..

Being the kind of person I am, I would rather fix this issue, versus selling it with the known problem, so I guess it's time to track down the cause.

Aside from that, She's going for a hard pressure wash tomorrow, as well as a deep interior clean/scrub.

It looks really really good as a stock TJ. Almost makes you wish for it at times…

View attachment 499893

View attachment 499894

View attachment 499895

View attachment 499896

View attachment 499897

View attachment 499899

Open circuit... My first move would be to let it run and have somebody watch the dash for the light to show up while I wiggled the connector and harness for injector 5. Hope it turns out something simple like that.

Reactions: tworley and Wildman
Open circuit... My first move would be to let it run and have somebody watch the dash for the light to show up while I wiggled the connector and harness for injector 5. Hope it turns out something simple like that.

This was my thoughts as well.
I let it sit at idle, while I played around with the wiring, and couldn't force it to replicate the issue.

I think I'm just going to pull the Injector tomorrow, swap it for a new one, and see where it goes from there.
Worst case scenario, i'm stuck in the same spot I currently am. Best case, it fixes the issue entirely.

Hopeful that it's either an Injector issue, or a plug issue.

What I said, was that I wish we had room to keep two TJs.

We DO have room for an extra TJ.
but it just so happens, the person who wouldn't mind having a second (me) is also the one who works from home and doesn't even REALLY need the first TJ.:LOL:

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
We DO have room for an extra TJ.
but it just so happens, the person who wouldn't mind having a second (me) is also the one who works from home and doesn't even REALLY need the first TJ.:LOL:
Don’t let that sway you. My shop is only three blocks from my house. I have a TJ and my daily.

Reactions: Shank and Wildman
Don’t let that sway you. My shop is only three blocks from my house. I have a TJ and my daily.

We had a neighbor in his 80s, when I was in high school. He had a 6 car garage, plus a shop somewhere in town with more of his collection. The '34 Ford and the Model A were full time at his house, but his "daily" rotated a couple of times a week...leave with the Cobra, come home with a Corvette.

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
Hopeful that it's either an Injector issue, or a plug issue.

You can test the injector with a 9 volt battery and also check the ohms. Buy some injector cleaner, open the injector with the 9volt (it should click) and spray through it. I have bought several junkyard 4 hole injectors, cleaned them up and put a new seal kit on them with new little filters. I run then even now in my 5.9.

I have also seen where the electrode on the spark plug was loose. When I held it up to check the gap, it it looked good but when I turned it down to install it the electrode would slide down closing the gap.

We had a neighbor in his 80s, when I was in high school. He had a 6 car garage, plus a shop somewhere in town with more of his collection. The '34 Ford and the Model A were full time at his house, but his "daily" rotated a couple of times a week...leave with the Cobra, come home with a Corvette.

Someday, I hope to be able to do that. Laying the foundation is the hard part...

Update on my Fuel Injector Open Circuit Issue...

The main Injector wiring harness was rubbing against the bolt on the rear of the Valve Cover.
Bolt rubbed through the loom, and rubbed the insulation from a wire.

Repaired the wire, taped the loom, and all is well.

*probably going to go to Home Depot soon, and buy a piece of 1/2" conduit insulation, and wrap a 6" section around the loom at that bolt, and do the same to my LJ to prevent future issues.

The main Injector wiring harness was rubbing against the bolt on the rear of the Valve Cover.

*probably going to go to Home Depot soon, and buy a piece of 1/2" conduit insulation, and wrap a 6" section around the loom at that bolt, and do the same to my LJ to prevent future issues.

Have you looked at that area in the LJ yet? It has a little plastic standoff that snaps together, contains the wires and holds them up away from the bolts. I don't know if the later years are statistically less prone to that issue but it does appear that Jeep noticed and at least tried to improve the design. I don't know when it changed, I just know my 99 was completely different back there.

You should have a little bridge behind the valve cover that contains the wires (unless someone has removed it). Works to prevent the issue you described, but its REALLY sucks when you try to install a new valve cover gasket.

Reactions: Wildman and rasband
Have you looked at that area in the LJ yet? It has a little plastic standoff that snaps together, contains the wires and holds them up away from the bolts. I don't know if the later years are statistically less prone to that issue but it does appear that Jeep noticed and at least tried to improve the design. I don't know when it changed, I just know my 99 was completely different back there.

I haven't looked at the LJ yet!

Spent the day with the TJ. Cleaned it up nice, Vac/Shampoo'd the interior, and spent some miles running back/forth to the DMV to get the LJ 'legalized' :ROFLMAO:
Took the camera with me, and snapped some "for sale" pics of the TJ.

After scooting around town all day in the Stock TJ, I'm going to miss this thing a little.
Not only was it my first TJ, but it's just so damn fun/zippy in stock configuration.

(20 total photos, all of equal quality. Tried my best to get every angle, so there's no question's about condition)

DSC00020-2.jpg

DSC00021-2.jpg

So on a side note, the TJ is going up for sale here soon (creating the listing now) , and the LJ is legal with Insurance, Registration, and Tags!
LJ is OFFICIALLY the daily driver.🤘

One last photo of the two together.

1707794047020.png

Reactions: Wildman and L J
Fix that damn signal lens already! I'm going to be honest here....If I were in the market and I saw that broken lens on something that was supposed to be a clean, well cared for example, I'd walk almost immediately. My mind is going to ask, "If you can't be bothered to fix something so inexpensive and easy, what else is this thing hiding?"