Combination Wrenches

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
Looking at picking up a new set of wrenches. I would like to demote my Imperial Craftsman set to Jeep tool bag duty and get a good set of Combo Wrenches the shop. Looking for Made in USA. I also want 6 point box ends, but I'm finding those are very hard to come by. Most everything is 12 point these days. My experience with 12 point is that I have an even chance of getting the bolt loose or busting my knuckles...but that could be due to the "quality" of craftsman wrenches. I bought a Metric set of SK last year sometime, and while I like them, the open end is deforming a bit more than I expected in use.

So, two questions for the hive.

1. If you had a couple hundred bucks to plunk down on a set of combo wrenches, what would you get, and why?
  2. Are 12 point box ends OK in higher quality tools? I'm finding that insisting on 6 pt wrenches really limits my choices when it comes to a set.

Are 12 point box ends OK in higher quality tools? I'm finding that insisting on 6 pt wrenches really limits my choices when it comes to a set.
No, 12 point are not better than 6 point. I did 6 point Metric and 12 point Imperial just to make the choice obvious.

SnapOn Flank Drive explained.
Believe me, 45 years later it works. You get what you pay for.
You will love how snug they fit everytime you use one.

12 point, 6 point is not an issue.

Reactions: Twopoint
Reality is that you need both. I could not use most wrenches for what I do if they were limited to 6 point. Also, the open end is a last resort use where nothing else works. They should not be used to tighten or loosen fasteners. There is not enough contact on the points of the fastener and they tear them or the tools up.

I use a quality set of 12 points daily and specialty 6 points when the need arises. That need is seldom.

Also, the open end is a last resort use where nothing else works. They should not be used to tighten or loosen fasteners.

I use a quality set of 12 points daily and specialty 6 points when the need arises. That need is seldom.

Agree on the open end as a last resort. Curious about your other statement regarding 6 pt and 12 pt box ends. Do you work on a lot of 12pt bolt heads? I've turned a lot of bolts and I've rarely not been able to use a 6 point. Most of my wrenching is automotive and custom assembly and manufacturing equipment though. That may make a difference.

Agree on the open end as a last resort. Curious about your other statement regarding 6 pt and 12 pt box ends. Do you work on a lot of 12pt bolt heads? I've turned a lot of bolts and I've rarely not been able to use a 6 point. Most of my wrenching is automotive and custom assembly and manufacturing equipment though. That may make a difference.
I find that sometimes there just isn't enough room/swing to get the 6pt wrench back on the nut for the next push/pull. That's where a 12pt comes in handy. Smaller increments to work with.

If I am using a wrench, it is limited access or access where there isn't enough room to get a straight shot with a 6 point impact socket and impact and I have many sizes so it has to be very limited access. When I am in that situation, I don't usually have enough swing on the wrench to get it lined up and a lot of time, I'm having to flip a 12 point over to get it lined up on the hex to move the bolt or nut. Think about the CV where it bolts to the front of the t-case and similar. Exhaust flange bolts up under the intake, etc.

I'm not saying 6 point are bad because they aren't. I wish my ratchet wrenches were 6 point.

Reactions: Mike_H and Squatch
Look at Snap On, Flank Drive 6 point. Absolutely the best wrenches out there. My sockets and combination wrenches are all Snap On, 6 point for Metric, 12 point for Imperial. All Flank Drive. Mine are 45 plus years old.
I'm not a Snap On guy. No access to the truck. Plus, you must have missed the $200'ish dollar budget part of my post. SO is about double that for a 10 pcs set.

Leaning towards Wright after the research I've done. Seems to be as good as Snap On, if not a touch heavier. I'm not using them for 8 hours a day, so weight isn't a concern. They are half the price though, easy to get, and easy to get warranty service on, if necessary.

Reactions: Squatch
I'm not a Snap On guy. No access to the truck. Plus, you must have missed the $200'ish dollar budget part of my post. SO is about double that for a 10 pcs set.

Leaning towards Wright after the research I've done. Seems to be as good as Snap On, if not a touch heavier. I'm not using them for 8 hours a day, so weight isn't a concern. They are half the price though, easy to get, and easy to get warranty service on, if necessary.
I was going to mention Wright, always good reviews from the owners.

Reactions: Mike_H
If I am using a wrench, it is limited access or access where there isn't enough room to get a straight shot with a 6 point impact socket and impact and I have many sizes so it has to be very limited access. When I am in that situation, I don't usually have enough swing on the wrench to get it lined up and a lot of time, I'm having to flip a 12 point over to get it lined up on the hex to move the bolt or nut. Think about the CV where it bolts to the front of the t-case and similar. Exhaust flange bolts up under the intake, etc.

I'm not saying 6 point are bad because they aren't. I wish my ratchet wrenches were 6 point.
Ahhh, yeah, that makes sense. Understand what your saying now.

Kind of like a watch. My parents gave me a Rolex for Grad in 1973. I have worn it for 46 years every day, even running a jack hammer for 2 years. You get what you pay for. I bought rebuild kits for my Snap On ratchets 10 years ago. They were 35 years old. And rebuild kits were still available.

Ask me about Harbor Fright... lmao. Or Shittybilt.

Definitely buy quality, not quantity, or cheapest buy. Several great brands out there.
Talk to guys who earn their living with tools.

Kind of like a watch. My parents gave me a Rolex for Grad in 1973. I have worn it for 46 years every day, even running a jack hammer for 2 years. You get what you pay for. I bought rebuild kits for my Snap On ratchets 10 years ago. They were 35 years old. And rebuild kits were still available.

Ask me about Harbor Fright... lmao. Or Shittybilt.
Well, yes...you do get what you pay for...but My original Craftsman wrenches were given to me for my 16th birthday...I've been using them for 26 years and I believe they will still be usable for another 26 years. I am now at a point where I can afford a set of wrenches that work better. I firmly believe in the law of diminishing returns. In other words, you get what you pay for to a certain point. After that, you start paying for reputation, exclusivity, style, panache, etc. I don't need all that. I'm not judging you for having Snap On or a Rolex. That is your choice. My choice is to buy a less expensive, but still High Quality brand.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Well, yes...you do get what you pay for...but My original Craftsman wrenches were given to me for my 16th birthday...I've been using them for 26 years and I believe they will still be usable for another 26 years. I am now at a point where I can afford a set of wrenches that work better. I firmly believe in the law of diminishing returns. In other words, you get what you pay for to a certain point. After that, you start paying for reputation, exclusivity, style, panache, etc. I don't need all that. I'm not judging you for having Snap On or a Rolex. That is your choice. My choice is to buy a less expensive, but still High Quality brand.
When I was a young man, I worked briefly in a Ford dealership, out in the shop. I bought Snap-On because the truck showed up there, and it's what everyone at the shop bought. I have to admit, they were the most comfortable tools I'd ever used before, or since. However, they just cost too much for me, so I started buying Craftsman, and have done so pretty much ever since. They're rougher around the edges (handles aren't nearly as comfortable to be pushing/pulling on as Snap-On), but they get the job done. I ended up trading a shoebox full of Snap-On tools for a '72 Olds Cutlass convertible project, and now own very few of their tools. Again, cost...

Reactions: Mike_H
All my screwdrivers are Craftsman. 10? years ago Craftsman introduced a new line with black handles and clearanced all the old ones, I bought 2 more sets. Kinda of overkill but now I carry a set in the Jeep, a set in my work trailer, and a set in the garage.

I really miss Sears and Craftsman. Best radial arm saw ever. Mine is 40 years old.

My boat and trailer are a SEARS package from 1978 with the SEARS labels.

Last edited:
I am a Snap-on guy and sometimes you can get a good deal on craigslist, especially if you are willing to spend 200 bucks, but the problem I have with snapon is I have probably a good few thousand dollars in snapon tools but since I am not in the business anymore it is almost impossible to get any warrantees, and even tough to buy. if it were me and you can afford S/K they are good, and anymore I buy Craftsman for home use. I really like the gear wrench also. Personally I don't think you will be happy with the 6 points as @Squatch mentioned earlier. You are definitely right higher end wrenches are stiffer and handle it better.

If it were me, though I would scour your local garage sales/ Swap meets and Craigslist or offer up for the Snap on, MAC, or Matco. If you can find a set for two hundred bucks, you won't be disappointed, and I can't see you ever needing a warranty. Finding a deal will take patience though.

I have both 6 point and 12 point sockets, but all of my wrenches are snap on except for a set of metric gear wrenches, and they are all 12 points. I don't own any 6 points at all.

Reactions: Mike_H and Squatch
I am a Snap-on guy and sometimes you can get a good deal on craigslist, especially if you are willing to spend 200 bucks, but the problem I have with snapon is I have probably a good few thousand dollars in snapon tools but since I am not in the business anymore it is almost impossible to get any warrantees, and even tough to buy. if it were me and you can afford S/K they are good, and anymore I buy Craftsman for home use. I really like the gear wrench also. Personally I don't think you will be happy with the 6 points as @Squatch mentioned earlier. You are definitely right higher end wrenches are stiffer and handle it better.

If it were me, though I would scour your local garage sales/ Swap meets and Craigslist or offer up for the Snap on, MAC, or Matco. If you can find a set for two hundred bucks, you won't be disappointed, and I can't see you ever needing a warranty. Finding a deal will take patience though.

I have both 6 point and 12 point sockets, but all of my wrenches are snap on except for a set of metric gear wrenches, and they are all 12 points. I don't own any 6 points at all.
Anyone that works on brakes, specifically bleeding them needs a couple of 6 point wrenches for the bleed screws. The manufacturers have shortened the height of the hex on them to about 1/16" on some and any 12 point wrench just tips over at an angle and rounds off the corners. We have found it to be such an issue that I sourced some bleeders with more robust hex heights and we swap them into new calipers to help with the problem.

I have heard Cornwell makes some nice stuff, all American made. Same typical life time warranty, but you may still run into the issue of finding the truck.......

Reactions: TJ Starting