Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Comm gear surviving an EMP, any ideas?

OP
WSS

WSS

Rock Stacker
Supporting Member
Nuclear pulses are very big so small things like the steel hull of a nuclear sub are not large enough to stop damage. Lightning pulses are small so good grounds easily reroute the energy preventing damage. When people talk about Faraday cages and foil hats that's fine for small stuff but big stuff rolls on through.
What is the expected wave length of nuke pulse? How about a dirty nuke?

DWR

TJ Enthusiast
Here’s the thing… a radio only works if there is another to receive/send. So basically you would be reliant on others to protect theirs the same, and the likely hood of that is probably so close zero that it would be immeasurable.

But my answer… similar to a bomb bunker. Put it in a weather tight box with chicken wire around it (faraday cage) and bury it 9ft under ground. Or run something like this, if you trust it.

DWR

TJ Enthusiast
Also I don’t believe there is a way to protect them without making them inoperable while protected.

Reactions: WSS
OP
WSS

WSS

Rock Stacker
Supporting Member
Here’s the thing… a radio only works if there is another to receive/send. So basically you would be reliant on others to protect theirs the same, and the likely hood of that is probably so close zero that it would be immeasurable.
My Intent is to have a working local repeater and a handful of programmed matching radios that can be deployed in minutes if needed. Rotating working repeaters is good practice I think to keep trained.

Last edited:

BlueC

TJ Enthusiast
I'm disappointed, you guys are overthinking it. :p

1643899026057.png
1643899100831.png

Wheeler

TJ Enthusiast
Solar panels
So your Faraday Cage will need to be big enough for the repeater, radios, batteries, charge controller, and probably your panels too.

What’s the location of the existing repeater? The ones around me are on water towers and are difficult to get to.

J Harding

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Will one of the "cheap" plated rods from HD or lowes work?
Not well. Look into installing a chemical ground. Properly grounding that metal shipping container is your best defense against an EMP.