Comm gear surviving an EMP, any ideas?

WSS

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What are the options available for protecting our communication gear from an EMP event? How can we (or is it even feasible) protect gear like repeaters? How about our mobile rigs? I am sure we could protect out HT's in a case like mission darkness provides. Any thoughts on protection?

I am not a tin hat scaredy cat. Not looking to debate the "possibilities" of an EMP, just what your thoughts are on having our gear work after a EMP. I have a few GMRS repeaters that I would like to protect, plus a bunch of mobile radios.

Reactions: wes11b10
You need to build a faraday cage around your electronics. This can be as simple as completely wrapping them in tin foil, yes tin foil will work all jokes aside, or place them in a metal garbage can. The key is that you must ground it to allow the pulse to dissipate. Hopefully when your communication device survives there will be someone else with equipment that survived to talk with. I worked at a facility where NASA and the military used our facility to test electronics against EMP and radiation particle exposure.
Also if you are close enough to the device that caused the pulse you might have other more pressing issues.

Also if you are close enough to the device that caused the pulse you might have other more pressing issues.
:unsure:

A realistic scenario is likely a EMP in a crowded or densely populated area. This is perfect for me, cause I am rural. I try to stay away from people on a regular basis. 🙋🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
Ok, so if I have an antenna coax leading into the “can”, will a lightning suppressor keep the pulse from finding a leak? I have next to zero knowledge about EMP. just what I hear on the news which is always subject to fact checking.

Now, next scenario. Can I store a bunch of radios in a grounded box and possibly use/distribute those radios post EMP?

Reactions: srimes
Then run the required 12vdc through the can?

No. Disconnected is best. Any exposed/unshielded wire can generate voltage during an EMP.

Check out what sailors do for lightning protection. A lightning strike creates an EMP so they're the regular folks who deal with this issue.

No. Disconnected is best. Any exposed/unshielded wire can generate voltage during an EMP.

Check out what sailors do for lightning protection. A lightning strike creates an EMP so they're the regular folks who deal with this issue.
That’s what I thought. I’ll need to have a spare repeater on hand and in protection. Will the antennas and coax still be good to use? Ships use a lightning suppressor correct??

Could you put your HT's in an old microwave oven for protection?
It is an interesting question but I think the answer is no. Microwave ovens have a tuned RF choke around the door perimeter. Even though there is no metal to metal contact this is very effective at preventing leakage of the 2.4 GHz radiation. But it will do nothing to stop other frequencies from getting in.

Reactions: WSS and bobthetj03
I am not a tin hat scaredy cat. Not looking to debate the "possibilities" of an EMP, just what your thoughts are on having our gear work after a EMP. I have a few GMRS repeaters that I would like to protect, plus a bunch of mobile radios.
If you are talking about a nuclear EMP or NEMP you can't do anything. If you are just concerned about regular lightning just following good grounding practice will save you from most EMP hazards. A shipping container or the thick walls of a nuclear submarine do not protect against a real NEMP.

Reactions: pc1p
If you are talking about a nuclear EMP or NEMP you can't do anything. If you are just concerned about regular lightning just following good grounding practice will save you from most EMP hazards. A shipping container or the thick walls of a nuclear submarine do not protect against a real NEMP.
Ok, why? Again, I am a complete novice. Speak slow and use small words lol.

Ok, why? Again, I am a complete novice. Speak slow and use small words lol.
Nuclear pulses are very big so small things like the steel hull of a nuclear sub are not large enough to stop damage. Lightning pulses are small so good grounds easily reroute the energy preventing damage. When people talk about Faraday cages and foil hats that's fine for small stuff but big stuff rolls on through.

Reactions: pc1p