Common cabin noises and fixes?

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay, first of all, I know that the cabin interior is never going to sound like a Lexus. That said, I'm trying to make improvements where I can. Problem is, because I've never driven a stock TJ (or any other Jeep), I don't know what can reasonably be solved and what is simply expected behavior. I've done some sound-deadening to the bed/firewall which has helped tremendously and now I want to go to the next areas on my list. Would appreciate some insights based on the following groupings of what I think are the common sources:
  1. Hard-top: point of contact with bed and windshield.
    • Description: seems like I'm hearing solid contact when hitting bumps
      • is there a stock gasket/seal that should be replaced at a given age? How much of an improve can I expect, if at all?
  2. Hard-top: general flex/rattle
    • Description: seems as though the top creaks and rattles as it flexes as the body takes bump impact
      • Is this expected or an indication of a faulty top?
  3. Hard-top: rear window glass (at hatch)
    • Description: lots of rear window rattle/knocking
      • I've replaced the seal where the window comes into contact with the tail gate, but what about the the vertical seals at point of contact with the hard top?
  4. General Wind-Noise (whistle)
    • Description: annoying AF whistle in the front passenger side. I haven't been able to pinpoint the source. Could be the door seal, could be where windshield meets the top, or could be where windshield meets the body.
      • Will seal replacements in any of these areas help or is this an expected TJ noise?

i have replaced my windshield frame/ cowl seal, windshield header seal and both door seals. these were replaced first with aftermarket seals in an attempt to stop multiple water leaks. after replacing i had more/different leaks and now wind noise. it took forever to find oem seals in a second attempt to get rid of leaks. finally found the correct oem seals and for the most part my leaks are gone. only one small leak where top of hard door meets windshield and hardtop on drivers door. it only leaks when jeep is sitting still and rain is being blown in the right direction. a generic foam tape is what i have on bottom of hardtop and it does it’s job.

Reactions: imactj2004
  1. Hard-top: general flex/rattle
    • Description: seems as though the top creaks and rattles as it flexes as the body takes bump impact

This is just a Jeep thing... my JT creaks when flexing where both of the removable top sections meet the rear top portion. The '90 YJ I had a long time ago creaked at the hard top as well. I would expect that all hard-tops do this.

• Sad
Reactions: imactj2004
This is just a Jeep thing... my JT creaks when flexing where both of the removable top sections meet the rear top portion. The '90 YJ I had a long time ago creaked at the hard top as well. I would expect that all hard-tops do this.

my hardtop is solid and makes no noises while on the jeep. keeping rain out has been an adventure. this past winter i had more rain water in the floors with hardtop on than last summer without hardtop and no doors using only a trail cover. oem windshield header seal and cowl seal fixed most of that. jeeps are supposed to leak right?

Noises-

Whining noise from passenger seat- solution: make her get out and turn up the radio

Control arm pop- solution-turn up radio

Guy that lives next door coming into my shop uninvited-solution: turn up radio

Guy yelling at me as light turns from red to green and back to red - solution: turn up radio

@John Cooper and @tr21triton being mean to me -solution: text @Hog and @Mike Z , the are my buddy pals

Noises-

Whining noise from passenger seat- solution: make her get out and turn up the radio

Guy yelling at me as light turns from red to green and back to red - solution: turn up radio

@John Cooper and @tr21triton being mean to me -solution: text @Hog and @Mike Z , the are my buddy pals

@AndyG 's leaking BLOW UP DUCK MAKING FART SOUNDS : TURN UP THE RADIO !!!!!

Noises-

Don’t let them bully you!!!

Noises-

2408916C-3FF7-477F-8548-87B934820594.jpeg

I don’t get it.

Okay, first of all, I know that the cabin interior is never going to sound like a Lexus. That said, I'm trying to make improvements where I can. Problem is, because I've never driven a stock TJ (or any other Jeep), I don't know what can reasonably be solved and what is simply expected behavior. I've done some sound-deadening to the bed/firewall which has helped tremendously and now I want to go to the next areas on my list. Would appreciate some insights based on the following groupings of what I think are the common sources:
      • is there a stock gasket/seal that should be replaced at a given age? How much of an improve can I expect, if at all?
      • I've replaced the seal where the window comes into contact with the tail gate, but what about the the vertical seals at point of contact with the hard top?
    • Description: annoying AF whistle in the front passenger side. I haven't been able to pinpoint the source. Could be the door seal, could be where windshield meets the top, or could be where windshield meets the body.
      • Will seal replacements in any of these areas help or is this an expected TJ noise?

if you get a soft top you wont notice the noises your hearing now !!!!!

Noises-

I’m here for you pal…❤️

When you have an opportunity read attached thread (how to sound deaden the interior of your TJ).

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-sound-deaden-the-interior-of-your-tj.16153/

I installed a HOthead Head Liner on my hard top and added insulation through out the entire TJ and can actually carry on a conversation with my significant other (@60mph) and a huge plug listen to the music to/from the trails.

Here are a few photos in the link of my head liner.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...interior-of-your-tj.16153/page-11#post-620108

Below is Hothead Headliner site if your interested:

https://hotheadheadliners.com/?gcli...Z1mwB5RrTjiIm1XctKzZFkVWrndbOOwkaAjLyEALw_wcB

Reactions: JMT

Yes, there are seals for all these areas. Is this an OEM or aftermarket hardtop? Post pics. Aftermarket tops can be notorious.

My TJ is rather quiet with the OEM hardtop. Definitely no whistling or creaking while daily driving.

Noises-

Poor poor @AndyG folks picking on him, and why???? Dude owns 2 Rubicons and one has a little kink in the fender. To hear him whining about it, you would think the world was coming to the end....... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
200.gif

When you have an opportunity read attached thread (how to sound deaden the interior of your TJ).

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-sound-deaden-the-interior-of-your-tj.16153/

I installed a HOthead Head Liner on my hard top and added insulation through out the entire TJ and can actually carry on a conversation with my significant other (@60mph) and a huge plug listen to the music to/from the trails.

Here are a few photos in the link of my head liner.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...interior-of-your-tj.16153/page-11#post-620108

Below is Hothead Headliner site if your interested:

https://hotheadheadliners.com/?gcli...Z1mwB5RrTjiIm1XctKzZFkVWrndbOOwkaAjLyEALw_wcB

Yep, in process of doing all of that.

Yes, there are seals for all these areas. Is this an OEM or aftermarket hardtop? Post pics. Aftermarket tops can be notorious.

My TJ is rather quiet with the OEM hardtop. Definitely no whistling or creaking while daily driving.

OEM.