Is it common for base model TJs to come with a Dana 44?

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
I picked up this 2002 TJ about 3 months ago and coming from BMWs didn't know my differentials too well. I didn't even bother to look it up yet cause from what I read only Rubicons and Saharas would come with the 44. I went to a place to get my frame repaired today in a small spot by the trans crossmember ($475 parts labor paint, makes his own patches out of C channel). The guy goes under it and says "huh you got a Dana 44 in the rear here"

The Jeep was bone stock when I got it. Talking milk jugs and all. I highly doubt either of the two previous owners decided to slap a 44 under there and nothing else. Is this common to find?

On a side note, no one answered any of the questions I had on my last post lol. When the Jeep is warm and I go to start it, I get a rough idle that smooths out after about 10 or so seconds. Could this be my tps or something? I don't throw any codes. Thanks guys

Well, a "base model" TJ would be an SE, which is the 4 cylinder, in which case you couldn't get those with the Dana 44. However, the Dana 44 rear axle was an option on any of the 4.0 equipped TJs. It's not as common as the Dana 35 rear end, but it's by no means rare.

As for the idle issue, this is likely your fix: How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve

Reactions: Joseph
Well, a "base model" TJ would be an SE, which is the 4 cylinder, in which case you couldn't get those with the Dana 44. However, the Dana 44 rear axle was an option on any of the 4.0 equipped TJs. It's not as common as the Dana 35 rear end, but it's by no means rare.

As for the idle issue, this is likely your fix: How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve
Sorry still not up to par with my Wrangler literature. It's not an SE but I believe it's just a sport. I don't have any other significant markings on it. From my knowledge I didn't even know there was an option to have a 44 in the sports. Was this something the original owner had to pay the dealership to put in? Or were there TJ sports made with the 44 in the rear?
I was thinking iac but wasn't sure. Thanks for the input.

Sorry still not up to par with my Wrangler literature. It's not an SE but I believe it's just a sport. I don't have any other significant markings on it. From my knowledge I didn't even know there was an option to have a 44 in the sports. Was this something the original owner had to pay the dealership to put in? Or were there TJ sports made with the 44 in the rear?
I was thinking iac but wasn't sure. Thanks for the input.

It's likely either an X model or a Sport model. You can read more about the different models here: Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications

All of the 6 cylinder models had an option for the Dana 44 rear axle, with the exception of the Rubicon and Unlimited models, in which the Dana 44 was standard. Yours is more than likely a Sport model, and someone just ordered it with the Dana 44 rear axle, or more than likely just bought one off the lot that already had a Dana 44 rear.

No one would have paid the dealer to put a Dana 44 rear axle in, there were plenty of Sport models that had a Dana 44 rear axle as an option.

Check out that thread I linked to above and you'll discover quite a bit about the different models and trim packages.

It's likely either an X model or a Sport model. You can read more about the different models here: Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications

All of the 6 cylinder models had an option for the Dana 44 rear axle, with the exception of the Rubicon and Unlimited models, in which the Dana 44 was standard. Yours is more than likely a Sport model, and someone just ordered it with the Dana 44 rear axle, or more than likely just bought one off the lot that already had a Dana 44 rear.

No one would have paid the dealer to put a Dana 44 rear axle in, there were plenty of Sport models that had a Dana 44 rear axle as an option.

Check out that thread I linked to above and you'll discover quite a bit about the different models and trim packages.
Great deal of information man. Just read through the whole thing. Thank you for that.
The sports had the option for a Dana 44. It was part of the tow package.
I didn't find a tow hitch on here but that's good to know too. I've since put on an aftermarket front and rear bumper with a tow hitch on it. Got both used for $100 which was quite a steal.

Reactions: RussTJ and Chris
Great deal of information man. Just read through the whole thing. Thank you for that.

I didn't find a tow hitch on here but that's good to know too. I've since put on an aftermarket front and rear bumper with a tow hitch on it. Got both used for $100 which was quite a steal.

Mine had a tow package but I removed the hitch

Yup not all years did the tow package include the Dana 44 and it even appears to be somewhat regional. In my local area we got lucky and the local dealership ordered every 4.0L TJ in with the tow package and Dana 44.

You want to find the build sheet on your rig, it will have a wealth of information.
Run your VIN number through the build sheet lookup and it will tell you what model you have, as well as all the options yours came with: How can I find the build sheet for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Found it, thanks guys

IMG_3282.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I picked up this 2002 TJ about 3 months ago and coming from BMWs didn't know my differentials too well. I didn't even bother to look it up yet cause from what I read only Rubicons and Saharas would come with the 44. I went to a place to get my frame repaired today in a small spot by the trans crossmember ($475 parts labor paint, makes his own patches out of C channel). The guy goes under it and says "huh you got a Dana 44 in the rear here"

The Jeep was bone stock when I got it. Talking milk jugs and all. I highly doubt either of the two previous owners decided to slap a 44 under there and nothing else. Is this common to find?

On a side note, no one answered any of the questions I had on my last post lol. When the Jeep is warm and I go to start it, I get a rough idle that smooths out after about 10 or so seconds. Could this be my tps or something? I don't throw any codes. Thanks guys
Exhaust heat and engine bay heat is causing fuel to boil in lines. Insulation of the fuel rail or louver your hood so air can escape, should help.