Common issues, parts you should carry, and the solutions to fix them

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I need your help, I want to create a comprehensive list of spare parts that are good to carry in my Jeep. Common issues that may occur, the parts you should own and the fixes. The goal is to have one spot where people can become familiar with, and be better prepared if an issue arises when you're out in the world.

To give some context my transmission linkage popped off during a recent trip when I was out in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal, I didn't realize it was a common issue that people keep spare parts for until after the fact. I think this would help a lot of jeep owners

42RLE Transmission Issues

42RLE Transmission Linkage
Symptoms
: There is no play in the shifter when changing gears and cannot shift gears
Part: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NPDSAE/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (Mopar PN: 68137495AA)
Fix:
(I assume its just as simple as putting the bushing in.)
A better fix: https://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-2006-Jeep-Wrangler-Automatic-Transmission-Link/
Trail fix (without parts): Zip tie the shifter to where it popped off.

42RLE Transmission Shifter
Symptoms:
Can't get in/out of park.
Part: Plastic coat hanger or chopstick.
Fix: 2003-2006 42RLE transmission shift interlock fix

All Jeep Issues

Ignition Switch Actuator
Symptoms:
Engine will not turn over, starter will not engage.
Part: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BYX8W8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Fix:
(NOTE: some specialty tools needed)

U Joint Failing
Symptoms: Play in the wheels, or play in the driveshaft
Part: Rubicon:
Axle: Spicer 5-760x,
Driveshaft: Spicer 5-1310x
(need help here with all the PNs for the different years)
Fix: TBD (finding a link later)

Feel free to comment more issues, corrections, or any better documentation and I'll keep the above list up to date.

Last edited:
Great idea. A good addition would be if we could add a note for possible ways to fix / work around the issue on the trail.
Off the top of my head I can think of
Spare U joints
Tire plug kit

Last edited:
Reactions: tomtaylz
Great idea for a thread. We should have had something like this all along. That ignition pin actuator is something I carry around on me, since it seems to be a common one for sure. Same with the 42RLE fixes as well.

If anyone wants to add to this, we can add it to the original post to make it easier to find.

Reactions: JMT and tomtaylz
Good post. I've been through 2 of those 3 issues.

1) The transmission shifter went out years ago before I bothered trying to be handy and got it fixed at the dealer.

2) Ignition switch actuator went out on me about a month ago. Big tip for anyone dealing with this: Beware hidden springs that can fling small parts into dark places!

Good idea, a few more common ones..

Ring and Pinion Failures.
(Shop)
-Remove offending axles driveshaft and drive in 4-hi until you can be safety towed.

Snapped Axle Shafts
(carry spares + tools)
-If no replacement shaft is avail. On front axles. Pull out inner axle, dig out broken bits. Separate the stub shaft if not broken and put the stub back into wheel assembly to hold the bearing together leaving the broken inner shaft out. Stuff a few rags into the axle tube end to prevent fluid loss. Rear axles, Once again pull offending inner axle, dig out bits. Full and semi floats are much better off here.. you can most likely put the broken shaft back in and drive to safety on it, may clank around and cause more damage. C-clip axles can be a nightmare. You will have to come up with a device to hold the entire wheel/brake assembly on. IE. hi-lift handle or log strapped to the face of the tire/rim and driving to safety.
Remove driveshaft to axle.

Bent/Broken Control Arm or mounts
(BFH, may need heat which will kill bushings )
-This can “snowball” quickly if not attended to. Bent arms will bind other components and cause them to immediately fail. IE. pinion angles, other arms and mounts..
If arm or mount is broken not bent, remove it completely and try and replace it with a STRONG ratchet strap, tightened to the original axle location. Drive carefully to safety.

Oil/ Trans/ Gas Tank/ Diff, Cracks & Punctures
(JB Weld, Brake clean, Spare fluids)
-Try and catch as much of the leaking fluid as possible use anything! Not only for the environment but it may be enough to re-use and get you out.
After drained completely (no drips) scuff around the crack even with a rock if you have to. Clean it really well. Build up thin layers of JB weld. It will dry quicker and stronger. Skim each layer beyond the actual crack to gain more surface tension. Replace fluid, check for leaks.

Reactions: Chris
The smallest item and most annoying to break.... Clutch bushing. Went through 6 last year alone.
Six? I never went through even one when I was still running a manual transmission. Did you ever find the cause of your repeated bushing failures?

Reactions: mots
I have a question, i have a 2007 wrangler and when turning Left sometimes the streering feels like the pumps gone out. I just had a new one put in and the problem continues.... IDEAS???

Seems like there was a "what to carry on the trail" thread a year ago, or so...

Thanks I’ll go through the links Chris posted too, was hoping to try and get the solutions and everything in one place for the more common stuff.

I’ll try and update my first thread this weekend.

Reactions: JMT
My go to for trail fixes, is a tool box and AAA and VISA and CellPhone and a spare tire. 40 years later, I've never been stranded. Been towed twice. One was for a failed alternator, dead battery..... I'm not going tostart carrying a spare alternator. The other was for an exploding automatic tranny... same, the cell phone, VISA, AAA was the way to go.

The smallest item and most annoying to break.... Clutch bushing. Went through 6 last year alone.

Six? I never went through even one when I was still running a manual transmission. Did you ever find the cause of your repeated bushing failures?

2nd'ed. I'm interested too, especially if is the 6 speed Miki is talking about. Besides putting in Redline MTL, I'm curious on what else I should do to maintain this tranny. From what I have heard, the stock clutch disc typically will last a good long while, maybe 200k I hear some say. Shifting is good (a bit noisy at times as they say will be expected with the 6 spd.) and the TOB if quiet when I release the clutch. So, for now it seems like things are in good shape after 105k, but still wondering what could potentially break and leave me stranded.

I have a question, i have a 2007 wrangler and when turning Left sometimes the streering feels like the pumps gone out. I just had a new one put in and the problem continues.... IDEAS???
Check your tire pressure on the left tires. It could be low. The 2007 is a JK, this forum is for TJ's, just so you know. You might get more help on a JK forum, but your steering can be difficult due to underinflated tires.

turning Left sometimes the streering feels like the pumps gone out.
This is just what I heard years ago. No idea if it applies today. Somehow the pressure turning left is routed differently than turning right and low fluid will affect one direction but not the other. I have no idea and if you now have a new pump I'd think that would not be the problem.

Is this something new? How long have you had this Jeep?

I just came across this, which made me wonder if a thread like this one existed. Looks like it's been quiet for about four years. Any updates?

For instance, I recently learned that the oil pressure sending unit often goes bad and misleads the driver into thinking that they have an oil pressure problem.

Last edited:
I just came across this, which made me wonder if a thread like this one existed. Looks like it's been quiet for about four years. Any updates?

For instance, I recently learned that the oil pressure sending unit often goes bad and misleads the driver into thinking that they have an oil pressure problem.

Mine broke last year. Used a Dorman part to replace it and bought another to carry in my tool box in case it happens again.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-7#post-962803