Communication experts, I need some help

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
Do any of you have a good understanding of CBs and home stations/communications in an urban environment? I would like to pick your brain.

A Ham radio is not an option.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm trying to determine the best set up to communicate in a flat (Florida) suburban environment between two homes that are four miles apart.

Do you have line of sight between the two?

I suppose it depends on the definition of line of sight? I mean there are no natural barriers between the two homes, but they are four miles away in a suburban environment. So I guess if both homes had an antenna that was above all other roof lines in those four miles they would be line of sight?

I would study the technician class amateur radio exam first and learn about the fundamentals. AARL is a great resource and they have a semi-interactive pool of exam questions and answers, with explanations of each item.

I'm not saying you need to become a licensed HAM, but the associated infonis invaluable to what you're trying to accomplish and in general.

http://www.arrl.org/exam-practice

That said, as @Mr. Bills stated, you may wind up with a couple of full whip antennas at the end of the day, which might not be a problem depending on your local RF.

Reactions: Michael Roberson
Do any of you have a good understanding of CBs and home stations/communications in an urban environment? I would like to pick your brain.

A Ham radio is not an option.

Thanks!

Is there a good reason that a Ham radio isn’t an option? A tech license is very obtainable and would open up doors for communication. Otherwise there is the GMRS license which is a flat fee with no test. CB is great but limited to a short distance. SSB CBs offer more wattage and could be an non licensed option. Generally, it’s cheaper to buy 2meter ham equipment though. A Baofeng UV5R would work great for situations like this. You can operate on the 2m band with a tech license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cb at each location with a half wave homemade dipole antenna will suit your needs fine.
How difficult is that to make?

I am no expert but when I was testing my CB when I first installed it I was picking up loud and clear truck stop CB base station that were well over 4 miles away from me.
Was that from your Jeep?