Comparison of soft tops

TealJeep77

I am getting a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Tj and I wondered what the best soft top would be. The two that I have really made my decision around have been the Rampage Soft top or the Bestop Trektop NX. Which one would be best if I want a soft top that does good on highways?

Comparing a Rampage top to a Bestop is like comparing a Geo Metro to a Lexus.

There is a reason Bestop is the OEM supplier to Mopar for the Jeep soft tops. There is no better soft top than Bestop, plain and simple. Buy once, cry once.

I’ve also moved this thread to the correct section, it is not a build thread 👍

Comparing a Rampage top to a Bestop is like comparing a Geo Metro to a Lexus.

There is a reason Bestop is the OEM supplier to Mopar for the Jeep soft tops. There is no better soft top than Bestop, plain and simple. Buy once, cry once.

I’ve also moved this thread to the correct section, it is not a build thread 👍
Ok Thank You

+1 for any Bestop. I like my trektop, would take off the side and rear window often. Bestop also has good customer support (at least in my experience)

I am getting a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Tj and I wondered what the best soft top would be. The two that I have really made my decision around have been the Rampage Soft top or the Bestop Trektop NX. Which one would be best if I want a soft top that does good on highways?
Bestop

All day every day and twice on Saturday's

To add...
You ask how does it do with wind noise.

I'm not being malicious but I think you're trying to excuse your reason for going with the cheap top.

All TJ soft tops are damn similar on the hwy.

Timeline...

CJ's...
windshield channel that attaches with screws....(sucks)
Snaps on the sides and back (sucks) flap, flap, flap, flap

YJ's...
Windshield channel remains..screws in...
(Still sucks...even worse because headlights are square 🙄)

Snaps are gone in place of a groove channel that fastens to the body with screws. (A much welcome change and 100x better than snaps. ) headlights still square and shitty 🙄
Flap, flap,

TJ's....
Screw down windshield channel gone in lieu of a latch system and a new header that bolts down to the windshield.
Much better design.

The #1 thing that changed the soft tops on Jeeps were the now integrated rails to the body. No more screw down channel.

The soft tops on a TJ are extremely quiet but thats the mounting design of it.

Flap only comes when window is lowered or cracked open on a hard door. Or zipped window down on the half doir

Which is quieter? Who cares. Both quiet enough.

Which one lasts two decades if you take care of it? The Bestop.
Which one fits perfectly ?
Bestop

Bestop...

There is no substitute

I have a non factory Bestop and its it not that noisy on the interstate, I mean it is a Jeep its not quiet at all but you can carry on a conversation.

To add...
You ask how does it do with wind noise.

I'm not being malicious but I think you're trying to excuse your reason for going with the cheap top.

All TJ soft tops are damn similar on the hwy.

Timeline...

CJ's...
windshield channel that attaches with screws....(sucks)
Snaps on the sides and back (sucks) flap, flap, flap, flap

YJ's...
Windshield channel remains..screws in...
(Still sucks...even worse because headlights are square 🙄)

Snaps are gone in place of a groove channel that fastens to the body with screws. (A much welcome change and 100x better than snaps. ) headlights still square and shitty 🙄
Flap, flap,

TJ's....
Screw down windshield channel gone in lieu of a latch system and a new header that bolts down to the windshield.
Much better design.

The #1 thing that changed the soft tops on Jeeps were the now integrated rails to the body. No more screw down channel.

The soft tops on a TJ are extremely quiet but thats the mounting design of it.

Flap only comes when window is lowered or cracked open on a hard door. Or zipped window down on the half doir

Which is quieter? Who cares. Both quiet enough.

Which one lasts two decades if you take care of it? The Bestop.
Which one fits perfectly ?
Bestop

Bestop...

There is no substitute
Thanks. Should I get a frameless soft top if I am going to be taking it down a lot.

I went with a cheaper version I think also made by Bestop called Pavement Ends. I don't drive my Jeep a lot (500-1000 miles a year) so it didn't make sense to spend the money on a top end Bestop. I think this is the Bestop discount brand and it has worked really well for me.

https://pavement-ends.com/

Reactions: NOLAJeep

FTW Bestop Supertop NX in Black Twill. The Twill is a thicker material. Much quieter and warmer than the standard tops. Yes it is expensive, but if this is a car you're driving everyday then it's worth it.

I have a rampage top on my LJ and the only good thing I can say about it is that it has integrated storage for the panels. Otherwise it’s a pretty low quality top - most of the zippers are broken, the velcro stitching came out, and it doesn’t have any of the supports like the bestop.

I have a rampage top on my LJ and the only good thing I can say about it is that it has integrated storage for the panels. Otherwise it’s a pretty low quality top - most of the zippers are broken, the velcro stitching came out, and it doesn’t have any of the supports like the bestop.
how long did you own it before the zippers started giving out? the top on my lj leaks like the windows aren't even there. i found a new rampage top for 340 shipped and i just don't have the funds to spend 900 on a best top trek top right now. with the rainy season about to start here in the delta i have to get something pretty quick, but at the same time i hate to waste money if the zippers are just gonna break within a month or so.

Last edited:
how long did you own it before the zippers started giving out? the top on my lj leaks like the windows aren't even there. i found a new rampage top for 340 shipped and i just don't have the funds to spend 900 on a best top trek top right now. with the rainy season about to start here in the delta i have to get something pretty quick, but at the same time i hate to waste money if the zippers are just gonna break within a month or so.

That's a good question, I wonder if maybe I am expecting too much. However, it was on there when I bought the jeep 2.5 years ago and looked pretty new then. The first zipper lost some teeth about a year ago and a second tooth was lost last fall - making it so I can't close the rear window without the zippers coming off.

I have a Bestop Sailcloth Replace a Top and have no complaints with its performance on the highway.
Me too and I like it a lot. Better than the original top. BTW, do you have a wierd crease on the sides at the front? I’ve tried everything I can think of to flatten it out and I just can’t get it to work.

FC410B46-5FC8-4B91-B1F4-47A9BFABAEC8.jpeg

Me too and I like it a lot. Better than the original top. BTW, do you have a wierd crease on the sides at the front? I’ve tried everything I can think of to flatten it out and I just can’t get it to work.

View attachment 228929
I've got nearly the identical kink on the passenger side. It hasn't bothered me. The driver side is smooth.

View attachment 228929

20210225_193437.jpg

20210225_193455.jpg