Comparison / review: PSC versus Black Magic Brakes bolt-on power steering coolers

Steel City 06

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So in my quest to build the quietest steering system, I have had a chance to try both major bolt-on power steering cooler kits available for the TJ. There is a lot of opinion mixed in below, you're welcome to discuss and challenge anything.

The first kit was installed at the same time as ram assist, and is the Black Magic Brakes -8 TJ Steering Cooler Kit w/V-Bar Bracket, Hose and Fittings, which came as a part of the ram assist kit. Link:

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ar-Bracket-Hose-and-Fittings-8-COOLER-KIT.htm
This BMB kit consists of a 14" Derale heat sink cooler (Derale 13253) that has additional custom machining to get it to fit in front of the grille V-bar, mounting in front and roughly centered to the condenser. It comes with bracketry, hardware, hose, and fittings necessary to complete the job.
dash 8 cooler kit.jpg

20200927_161112.jpg

The second cooler I installed, replacing the BMB cooler, was the PSC MBC100 - 19 Row Plate & Fin Fluid Cooler with Mounting Bracket Kit for 1997-2006 Jeep TJ/LJ. This is a standalone kit that can be bought with one or two coolers (the second being for the transmission). Link:

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/psc-mbc100.html
This kit uses either one or two Derale 18 row Series 8000 Plate and Fin coolers (Derale 33503) for the power steering and/or transmission coolers. The kit consists of a piece of 1/8" stainless steel that has been cut and drilled to mount two coolers side by side. The plate replaces the V-bar in the radiator. Connections are made by simply slipping the hose onto the coolers and using a worm drive clamp to secure.
mbc100k-2.jpg

dsc01340.jpg

dsc01350.jpg

So which one is better? Keep scrolling for an item by item comparison:

Installation:
Installation difficulty is about the same for both kits. In either kit, you will have to remove the top radiator screws, loosen the lower, and lean the radiator and condenser back against the fan. For the BMB cooler, you have to remove the driver's headlamp. It's not necessary for the PSC kit, but a big help. The most difficult part of the BMB kit is trying to line up all the fasteners for the mounting. The PSC kit is quite straightforward except for one exceptionally frustrating screw - the one at the bottom of the v-bar.

The PSC kit is easier to plumb as you merely stick a hose over the tube and fasteners it with a worm drive clamp, but the BMB provides more flexibility in hose routing.

Performance:
The PSC plate and fin cooler seems to significantly outperform the BMB heat sink cooler, though I don't have hard data to back up this claim. With the BMB cooler, the lines could get very hot to the touch, and seem much cooler with the PSC cooler. The PSC cooler (per Derale) is rated to 20,000 BTU/hr of max heat rejection, meaning there is a massive amount of cooling capacity. Derale does not rate their heat sink coolers.

Versatility:
The PSC cooler has the capability to mount two coolers side by side, meaning installing a power steering and transmission cooler simultaneously is super easy. PSC doesn't make this claim, but I strongly suspect you could mount an engine oil cooler kit based on the Derale 33603 in lieu of one of the regular coolers. (More detail later.) The BMB cooler has a lot more options for plumbing, meaning you can run your hoses however you like.

Note: See notes from Blaine below about the transmission cooler being undersized.

Fluid flow restriction:
I have no data to back this up but I believe the BMB wins here. The BMB kit is designed to use 1/2" ID hose (-8AN) everywhere, but the PSC kit is only designed for 3/8" (-6AN). The BMB heat sink cooler also features no small channels or flow redirection, so theoretically the BMB wins here. (However, replacing the PSC Derale 33503 with a 33603 might turn the tables. More detail later.)

Note: See notes from Blaine below about fluid flow being inadequate.

Ease of bleeding:
The PSC kit wins here. Since the cooler mounts vertically, no significant air gets trapped in the cooler itself. The horizontal BMB cooler traps air, and must be turned sideways to fully bleed.

Cost:
The PSC wins here hands down. The single PSC cooler kit is $125 (add $65 for a second Derale cooler, or buy one for $52.) The BMB kit is $380. So the PSC kit is 1/3 the cost of the BMB kit.

Durability:
BMB probably wins this one. The heat sink coolers are tough. Rocks, sticks, and other mishaps are unlikely to cause a failure. If it would break your A/C condenser, chances are it would damage a PSC cooler.

Corrosion potential:
Both the BMB and the PSC kit use stainless steel mounting brackets and aluminum coolers. The BMB doesn't actually hard mount to any carbon steel but just rests in place. The PSC bolts to the carbon steel grille. Based on this, I suspect the PSC kit has a somewhat higher potential of causing galvanic corrosion.

Airflow restriction:
This one I'm not 100% sure about, and this is pure speculation. I think the PSC cooler adds a bit more overall airflow restriction to the condenser and radiator than the BMB, but it is spread out over a larger area. I drilled three 1" holes in the lowest tab of the PSC bracket for a slight boost to airflow.

Company support:
Both companies very much stand behind their product, and I have had great experiences with both.

My personal opinion/conclusion:
I believe the PSC cooler kit, either single or dual, is a better value than the BMB cooler kit. Neither kit is bad, but I think the PSC kit seems to give more capability per unit of cost than the BMB. It does have some drawbacks, but as I will later discuss, I think some of these can be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1proof
In a couple of spots I alluded to a potential alternative Derale cooler for the PSC kit. The Derale 33603 cooler has roughly the same mounting pattern as the 33503, but is noticeably deeper and has 1/2" NPT ports.

The 33603 is used in both of Derale's engine oil cooler kits, so it is intended for higher flow and higher pressure. You can easily install the equivalent of -6AN (3/8" hose), -8AN (1/2" hose), or -10AN (5/8" hose) and be able to use it to its full flow potential.

Thus not only might it be a better option than the 33503 for the oil cooler, it may also be a better option for the power steering cooler if -8AN or larger retirn hose sizes are preferred. Presumably, being designed for higher flow, it should also have less flow restriction than the 33603.

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/universal/series-9000-plate-fin-1/33603-detail
At some point I may mess around and try to add one as a part of an engine oil cooler project, so perhaps we'll see if it really fits or not. I'm going to build a kit myself because Derale does not currently sell engine oil cooler kits with thermostatic sandwich adapters. They only sell non-thermostatic kits, though they do sell separate thermostatic sandwich adapters.

A modification I made to the PSC bracket prior to installation was to drill three 1" holes in the bottom of the bracket, where the tab extends to the bottom V-bar screw. This should add a negligible amount of airflow to the condenser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
So in my quest to build the quietest steering system, I have had a chance to try both major bolt-on power steering cooler kits available for the TJ. There is a lot of opinion mixed in below, you're welcome to discuss and challenge anything.

The first kit was installed at the same time as ram assist, and is the Black Magic Brakes -8 TJ Steering Cooler Kit w/V-Bar Bracket, Hose and Fittings, which came as a part of the ram assist kit. Link:

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ar-Bracket-Hose-and-Fittings-8-COOLER-KIT.htm
This BMB kit consists of a 14" Derale heat sink cooler (Derale 13253) that has additional custom machining to get it to fit in front of the grille V-bar, mounting in front and roughly centered to the condenser. It comes with bracketry, hardware, hose, and fittings necessary to complete the job.
View attachment 254680
View attachment 254684

The second cooler I installed, replacing the BMB cooler, was the PSC MBC100 - 19 Row Plate & Fin Fluid Cooler with Mounting Bracket Kit for 1997-2006 Jeep TJ/LJ. This is a standalone kit that can be bought with one or two coolers (the second being for the transmission). Link:

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/psc-mbc100.html
This kit uses either one or two Derale 18 row Series 8000 Plate and Fin coolers (Derale 33503) for the power steering and/or transmission coolers. The kit consists of a piece of 1/8" stainless steel that has been cut and drilled to mount two coolers side by side. The plate replaces the V-bar in the radiator. Connections are made by simply slipping the hose onto the coolers and using a worm drive clamp to secure.
View attachment 254679
View attachment 254682
View attachment 254681

So which one is better? Keep scrolling for an item by item comparison:

Installation:
Installation difficulty is about the same for both kits. In either kit, you will have to remove the top radiator screws, loosen the lower, and lean the radiator and condenser back against the fan. For the BMB cooler, you have to remove the driver's headlamp. It's not necessary for the PSC kit, but a big help. The most difficult part of the BMB kit is trying to line up all the fasteners for the mounting. The PSC kit is quite straightforward except for one exceptionally frustrating screw - the one at the bottom of the v-bar.

The PSC kit is easier to plumb as you merely stick a hose over the tube and fasteners it with a worm drive clamp, but the BMB provides more flexibility in hose routing.

Performance:
The PSC plate and fin cooler seems to significantly outperform the BMB heat sink cooler, though I don't have hard data to back up this claim. With the BMB cooler, the lines could get very hot to the touch, and seem much cooler with the PSC cooler. The PSC cooler (per Derale) is rated to 20,000 BTU/hr of max heat rejection, meaning there is a massive amount of cooling capacity. Derale does not rate their heat sink coolers.

Versatility:
The PSC cooler has the capability to mount two coolers side by side, meaning installing a power steering and transmission cooler simultaneously is super easy. PSC doesn't make this claim, but I strongly suspect you could mount an engine oil cooler kit based on the Derale 33603 in lieu of one of the regular coolers. (More detail later.) The BMB cooler has a lot more options for plumbing, meaning you can run your hoses however you like.

Fluid flow restriction:
I have no data to back this up but I believe the BMB wins here. The BMB kit is designed to use 1/2" ID hose (-8AN) everywhere, but the PSC kit is only designed for 3/8" (-6AN). The BMB heat sink cooler also features no small channels or flow redirection, so theoretically the BMB wins here. (However, replacing the PSC Derale 33503 with a 33603 might turn the tables. More detail later.)

Ease of bleeding:
The PSC kit wins here. Since the cooler mounts vertically, no significant air gets trapped in the cooler itself. The horizontal BMB cooler traps air, and must be turned sideways to fully bleed.

Cost:
The PSC wins here hands down. The single PSC cooler kit is $125 (add $65 for a second Derale cooler, or buy one for $52.) The BMB kit is $380. So the PSC kit is 1/3 the cost of the BMB kit.

Durability:
BMB probably wins this one. The heat sink coolers are tough. Rocks, sticks, and other mishaps are unlikely to cause a failure. If it would break your A/C condenser, chances are it would damage a PSC cooler.

Corrosion potential:
Both the BMB and the PSC kit use stainless steel mounting brackets and aluminum coolers. The BMB doesn't actually hard mount to any carbon steel but just rests in place. The PSC bolts to the carbon steel grille. Based on this, I suspect the PSC kit has a somewhat higher potential of causing galvanic corrosion.

Airflow restriction:
This one I'm not 100% sure about, and this is pure speculation. I think the PSC cooler adds a bit more overall airflow restriction to the condenser and radiator than the BMB, but it is spread out over a larger area. I drilled three 1" holes in the lowest tab of the PSC bracket for a slight boost to airflow.

Company support:
Both companies very much stand behind their product, and I have had great experiences with both.

My personal opinion/conclusion:
I believe the PSC cooler kit, either single or dual, is a modestly better product and a significantly better value than the BMB cooler kit. Neither kit is bad, but I think the PSC kit seems to give a whole lot more capability per unit of cost than the BMB. It does have some drawbacks, but as I will later discuss, I think some of these can be addressed.
That's all great but there are more considerations than you mention that would cause one to pick one over the other. In all the years of installing 100's of high performance steering systems we have found solutions as well as working with Tom at PSC for his solutions when we find problems. Those solutions are then brought forward and implemented into each subsequent install.

The biggest one is to reduce restriction on the return side and both Tom and myself have found the best way to do that is to run -8 from the return port on the steering gear through the cooler and back to the reservoir. If I could make -6 work every single time, little would make me happier. -6 fittings are much cheaper than -8. -6 hose is easier to work with and itself much cheaper. Getting out of the return port on the steering gear would be much easier since I could use that 6 dollar Edelmann fitting that we buy from Tom and silver braze a -8 male Stainless Steel adapter onto which turns it into a 20 dollar fitting. You wouldn't have to use 36 bucks worth of fittings just at the return port on the steering gear, you can drop that to 6 bucks since you just push the hose onto slip fitting and put a clamp on it.

You can also eliminate the 20 bucks worth of fittings and adapters at each end of the cooler since the PSC cooler uses push on barbs and hose clamps. Some folks like myself, are not a fan of push on hose and clamps. We prefer the way it is done on race cars that see a lot of abuse bombing across the desert so we use the push lock stuff with locktited adapters any place possible.

I don't know that anyone else should make that choice since it is a personal thing. There are certain ways to do things that make sense to one's own value system that one chooses. Mine is not push on with clamps. But that choice comes with a cost that is usually higher since each connection is replacing a 58 cent hose clamp with a 20 dollar fitting adapter combo.

The other big issue is we don't have the luxury of running that small of a transmission cooler. We need something that works very well since we run where it can get very hot and the 42RLE is not a cool little beast at all. We need the room below our extruded cooler so we can mount a real cooler. I wish we could, I wish good coolers didn't cost so stinking much but they do. I also wish they didn't need so much precious real estate in the grill.

The extruded cooler that we use was originally purchased from PSC in volume until they moved to a different supplier that changed the hole pattern so rather than change the mount, we now purchase the exact same Derale unit direct instead of from PSC.

We still purchase the fittings, adapters, hose, and adapter fitting at the return port from PSC so they still get your money either way.

For the record, we have a total profit of 50 bucks in our cooler set up and I hate that it costs as much as it does.

Hopefully someone will take the time some day to do an actual temp test with something accurate. All I know is we've never burned up a pump with our kit and since that is based on the PSC cooler they also sell, I don't expect that to change any time soon.

That's all great but there are more considerations than you mention that would cause one to pick one over the other. In all the years of installing 100's of high performance steering systems we have found solutions as well as working with Tom at PSC for his solutions when we find problems. Those solutions are then brought forward and implemented into each subsequent install.

The biggest one is to reduce restriction on the return side and both Tom and myself have found the best way to do that is to run -8 from the return port on the steering gear through the cooler and back to the reservoir. If I could make -6 work every single time, little would make me happier. -6 fittings are much cheaper than -8. -6 hose is easier to work with and itself much cheaper. Getting out of the return port on the steering gear would be much easier since I could use that 6 dollar Edelmann fitting that we buy from Tom and silver braze a -8 male Stainless Steel adapter onto which turns it into a 20 dollar fitting. You wouldn't have to use 36 bucks worth of fittings just at the return port on the steering gear, you can drop that to 6 bucks since you just push the hose onto slip fitting and put a clamp on it.

You can also eliminate the 20 bucks worth of fittings and adapters at each end of the cooler since the PSC cooler uses push on barbs and hose clamps. Some folks like myself, are not a fan of push on hose and clamps. We prefer the way it is done on race cars that see a lot of abuse bombing across the desert so we use the push lock stuff with locktited adapters any place possible.

I don't know that anyone else should make that choice since it is a personal thing. There are certain ways to do things that make sense to one's own value system that one chooses. Mine is not push on with clamps. But that choice comes with a cost that is usually higher since each connection is replacing a 58 cent hose clamp with a 20 dollar fitting adapter combo.

The other big issue is we don't have the luxury of running that small of a transmission cooler. We need something that works very well since we run where it can get very hot and the 42RLE is not a cool little beast at all. We need the room below our extruded cooler so we can mount a real cooler. I wish we could, I wish good coolers didn't cost so stinking much but they do. I also wish they didn't need so much precious real estate in the grill.

The extruded cooler that we use was originally purchased from PSC in volume until they moved to a different supplier that changed the hole pattern so rather than change the mount, we now purchase the exact same Derale unit direct instead of from PSC.

We still purchase the fittings, adapters, hose, and adapter fitting at the return port from PSC so they still get your money either way.

For the record, we have a total profit of 50 bucks in our cooler set up and I hate that it costs as much as it does.

Hopefully someone will take the time some day to do an actual temp test with something accurate. All I know is we've never burned up a pump with our kit and since that is based on the PSC cooler they also sell, I don't expect that to change any time soon.
Thanks for your detailed response. The transmission cooler used in the kit being undersized is definitely something I hadn't considered.

I agree that the flow restriction is probably one of the biggest drawbacks of the PSC kit, especially for the most high volume pumps.

Would it be worth trying the 33603 cooler on a PSC bracket for this application? It comes with the same 1/2" NPT fittings as the heat sink, so one could easily attach the same kind of NPT to -8AN fittings like on the heat sink. In addition, the hose run from box to cooler would be much shorter, and the cooler to reservoir run would also be shortened slightly. Might fix the flow issue but not the transmission cooler issue.

If I was running a PSC pump and reservoir right now, I would definitely give it a try. But I'm still running a Vortec pump for now, and the return ports are 3/8".

Thanks for your detailed response. The transmission cooler used in the kit being undersized is definitely something I hadn't considered.

I agree that the flow restriction is probably one of the biggest drawbacks of the PSC kit, especially for the most high volume pumps.

Would it be worth trying the 33603 cooler on a PSC bracket for this application? It comes with the same 1/2" NPT fittings as the heat sink, so one could easily attach the same kind of NPT to -8AN fittings like on the heat sink. In addition, the hose run from box to cooler would be much shorter, and the cooler to reservoir run would also be shortened slightly. Might fix the flow issue but not the transmission cooler issue.

If I was running a PSC pump and reservoir right now, I would definitely give it a try. But I'm still running a Vortec pump for now, and the return ports are 3/8".
I don't know what a 33603 is.

I don't know what a 33603 is.
The cooler that PSC uses appears to be the Derale 33503 (link to part).

There is another cooler with the same footprint and mounting pattern called the Derale 33603 (link to part).

The primary differences are that the 33603 is designed for a much higher flow rate, has larger passages, and has 1/2" FPT ports instead of the 3/8" barb on the 33503. The other major difference is the depth of the cooler, or that it is 1.25" deep versus 0.875".

The 33603 is intended for engine oil cooling but can also be used for transmission cooling (and presumably power steering).

If you used the same fittings you use on the heat sink on the 33603, then I suspect you would get just as good a flow rate on the 33603 as on the heat sink, especially once the shorter hose runs are accounted for.

Here is an example of the 33603 being used in an engine oil cooling application.

Reactions: Zorba
This got me thinking...if one had a manual would there be any value in using the radiator as a PS cooler instead of a trans cooler?

This got me thinking...if one had a manual would there be any value in using the radiator as a PS cooler instead of a trans cooler?
It may function more as a PS heater to a degree. One of the functions of the heat exchanger is to heat the transmission fluid to operating temperature for cold climates. In hot climates that's less of an issue.

The cooler that PSC uses appears to be the Derale 33503 (link to part).

There is another cooler with the same footprint and mounting pattern called the Derale 33603 (link to part).

The primary differences are that the 33603 is designed for a much higher flow rate, has larger passages, and has 1/2" FPT ports instead of the 3/8" barb on the 33503. The other major difference is the depth of the cooler, or that it is 1.25" deep versus 0.875".

The 33603 is intended for engine oil cooling but can also be used for transmission cooling (and presumably power steering).

If you used the same fittings you use on the heat sink on the 33603, then I suspect you would get just as good a flow rate on the 33603 as on the heat sink, especially once the shorter hose runs are accounted for.

Here is an example of the 33603 being used in an engine oil cooling application.
It isn't possible to duplicate the flow rate of a single straight through tube with fins that don't interrupt the flow with any radiator style cooler.

Reactions: Apparition
I would be interested in thermal gun readings on both. As someone who works with hydraulics daily I can tell you there are 2 things that will destroy hydraulic systems quickly. Contamination and heat. Restriction will build heat quickly. Things with tight tolerances don’t do well when overheated. I’m not sure how tight those pumps are speced.
There is nothing cheap about adding hydraulic assist properly. I’m not sure I would want to skimp on $150-200. At least not till it’s been proven as reliable as the current options.

Like Blaine said many can get away using 3/8 line, but it doesn’t work all the time. -8 works every time.

I hadn’t thought of it but it makes a lot of sense.
We started with Howe hotrodded TC pumps, -8 feed, -6 return. Figured out there was a restriction, moved up to -10 and -8 return. Figured out that some high demand systems with hydro assist would restrict the flow in some conditions, moved to -12 and -8 return. We have not had a flow or restriction problem since doing that.

Over the years we've done Howe, Lee Power steering, some dirt track stuff we built custom mounts for, AGR, and then finally PSC. By a large margin, PSC has been the most trouble free, highest level of consistent performance, and hands down the best support.

I would be interested in thermal gun readings on both. As someone who works with hydraulics daily I can tell you there are 2 things that will destroy hydraulic systems quickly. Contamination and heat. Restriction will build heat quickly. Things with tight tolerances don’t do well when overheated. I’m not sure how tight those pumps are speced.
There is nothing cheap about adding hydraulic assist properly. I’m not sure I would want to skimp on $150-200. At least not till it’s been proven as reliable as the current options.

Like Blaine said many can get away using 3/8 line, but it doesn’t work all the time. -8 works every time.
The pumps have very tight tolerances. They are also very high performance for their size. They are running around 1800 PSI at over 5 gallons per minute and that gets pushed through a .175ish orifice in the pressure relief valve. If you hold the pump in bypass, the fluid will heat up 50 degrees for every 5 seconds it is in bypass.

Also why you can NOT starve them for even a second when they are running. They are a zero head pump. No suction whatsoever so the system needs to be able to move the fluid from the reservoir at very high flow rates purely via hydrostatic pressures. Interrupt that and you smoke the pump.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

Why aren’t you still running a PSC pump?

How does high rpm whine play into that?
Depends. Many years ago, Tom had an issue with the company that was grinding the ring and rotor which would make noise at high RPM. He quickly identified the parts and got that solved. You can also starve the pump, that will let cavitation cause pits and damage to the vane edges and ring surface which causes noise.

Properly bled, they are almost dead silent when the product is viable. If you put a screwdriver on the body and listen, there is some faint rotational bearing noise like you hear in an alternator.

Reactions: Apparition
Depends. Many years ago, Tom had an issue with the company that was grinding the ring and rotor which would make noise at high RPM. He quickly identified the parts and got that solved. You can also starve the pump, that will let cavitation cause pits and damage to the vane edges and ring surface which causes noise.

Properly bled, they are almost dead silent when the product is viable. If you put a screwdriver on the body and listen, there is some faint rotational bearing noise like you hear in an alternator.
My PSC system makes no noise that I’m aware of. I spent a couple days letting all the air settle out before even starting it the first time.

Reactions: reddvltj
I have a 4cyl and noticed it while back climbing a long hill on the highway over 4K rpms. Probably closer to 5k. Lol. It’s very rare I ever run the little guy that hard though. Was just curious if it was bad on the pump?