Compressor Needed

jrcotner

Supporting Member
My Ingersoll Rand 20 gallon compressor has been a complete disappointment, and now that it's third regulator is dying I need a replacement. What compressors are out there that are not worthless junk these days? Also, what has been the experience of the group with compressors that work well in the cold?

It would probably help if you posted your needs/use. Is this for general home garage use, painting etc.

I have a 20 year old Campbell Hausfeld (edit; it's a Charge Air Pro by DeVilbiss) 60 gal that has had no issues in my home garage, but I have no experience with their new ones.

Last edited:
I have a Rolair 4 gallon. My old man said that is what most of the contractors bought at the lumberyard he was working at. So I thought it would hold up to some repeated abuse. Its very quiet for a compressor which I like. Doesnt like the cold though.

I use it for general garage use for things like light duty air tools, no painting.
I have a 220v 60 gallon stand up single stage porter-cable compressor I bought from Home Depot over 20 years ago. I have never had a problem with it.

Thanks for all of the info. I've learned that typing "Best Compressor" into the infowebs doesn't typically yield unbiased reports any more. Getting info from folks, such as on a forum like this, gets more useful and realistic perspectives.

Reactions: TJ Jim and rasband
I have had no problems with my kobalt upright hushed compressor.

If looking at getting new. Take a good hard look at the new quiet ones. So nice to be able and hold a convo in the garage while it’s recharging.

While the OP didn’t mention it in his post and has likely already sorted it out, storage capacity and cfm at a given psi are key to satisfaction when running air tools. I underestimated my needs when it comes to my air tools and was frustrated with my choice. Had I actually looked at the requirements of my tools and planned usage and worked forward from there I would have been much better off..

That said now that I have moved primarily to battery powered tools and my compressor has been relegated to blowing things up, out, or off, I am very pleased with my ultra quiet (it really is) California Air Tools Ultra Quiet 20 gallon compressor.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband and BlueC
That said now that I have moved primarily to battery powered tools and my compressor has been relegated to blowing things up, out, or off, I am very pleased with my ultra quiet (it really is) California Air Tools Ultra Quiet 20 gallon compressor.
I have the same one as well. I was blown away with how quite it was compared to the craftsman I had before.

If it's your pressure switch, did the problem with a different regulator, norgren is one industrial one that is good but expensive. Ingersoll rand is as good as Quincy in the mid range compressor . And I run a 2 stage g twin that is 175 psi and 15 cfm at that pressure