Concerned about my rear axle set up

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m running 35’s on my Dana 35 w/4.56 gears and an e-locker . Revolution 27 spline chromoly shafts . It‘a my daily driver and I rarely use my locker and usually only in the snow and most of my offroading is exploring dirt roads and not rock crawling . Am I really rolling the dice here ? is it safer to only run the locker when absolutely necessary or is there more stress when running it open in snow for example or a steep dirt hill climb ? Included is an unnecessary photo of my rear axle shaft that I was all proud of

1FC71214-1C95-45C8-9105-A650D9D611C5.jpeg

I run 35's on a Dana 35 with 27 spline axles and know that it's a time bomb about to hit 0:00. Only my front axle has a locker, therefore I am extremely light on the skinny pedal and am quick to pull rope. You are a brave soul to put a locker in there, better keep an extra shaft handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim
I’m running 35’s on my Dana 35 w/4.56 gears and an e-locker . Revolution 27 spline chromoly shafts . It‘a my daily driver and I rarely use my locker and usually only in the snow and most of my offroading is exploring dirt roads and not rock crawling . Am I really rolling the dice here ? is it safer to only run the locker when absolutely necessary or is there more stress when running it open in snow for example or a steep dirt hill climb ? Included is an unnecessary photo of my rear axle shaft that I was all proud of

View attachment 301223
If I were you I would strongly consider installing some 30-spline axle shafts.

Last edited:
it's a 35, so maybe just lock it when you need it and it lives longer.
never on the road in snow, right?, that straight line push might could really F with your ability to steer in slick or snowy conditions.

I’m running 35’s on my Dana 35 w/4.56 gears and an e-locker . Revolution 27 spline chromoly shafts . It‘a my daily driver and I rarely use my locker and usually only in the snow and most of my offroading is exploring dirt roads and not rock crawling . Am I really rolling the dice here ? i

View attachment 301223
I used basically the same setup for several years with zero issues. I locked my front axle though. I wouldn't trust a locked Dana 35.
p.s. Breaking it was always on my mind when driving in deep snow when the rear end started to hop.

Last edited:
I went down this alley when I first purchased my TJ because I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Then I took it to an off road park and I learned. I had 35’s with a locked Dana 35 and didn’t make it 30 minutes in until one of the shafts broke.
I upgraded to chromoly shafts, didn’t engage the lockers and kept the off roading light and it did fine however, I understood I was limited and there was still a strong potential to break another shaft.
I’ve finally upgraded to a Dana 44, which took me a few years in saving money and seeking out the best economic way to go about it. It’s still in its break in period so I haven’t taken it off road yet but I can say, psychology, I feel better. Hopefully I’ll still feel good about the money I spent after taking it off road. 😆

View attachment 301223
You’ll be fine if you don’t stress it with the locker, and you take it easy and don’t spin the wheels. What I would do though, is sell that setup or the parts and go to an S35.

Reactions: Claybirdd