Confirming the TJ's subwoofer impedance is 1 ohm

The stock subs you can use an ohmmeter but it is 1.9 ohms per coil. Here is a picture from another thread. I believe the first post on this thread goes over it. What are you trying to accomplish here?

View attachment 398479

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I am starting with and what I have to work with. I don't want to underdrive the amp and leave power out on the table. I don't want to overdrive it and overheat/cook the thing.

I just checked the speaker wire outputs of the factory amp and getting ~ 4,000ohms - almost open circuit, not connected to each other. That leads me to believe they are not wired in parallel. Looks to be a 2-channel amp driving 2ohms each based on that and your photo. Is that wrong?

Re: that photo - Jerry said you can't measure speaker (AC) ohms with a battery powered (DC) meter? Erroneously low reading?

Edit to add photo

2458F697-EE2C-4417-A9C9-AFF04F4BA56A.jpeg

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I am starting with and what I have to work with. I don't want to underdrive the amp and leave power out on the table. I don't want to overdrive it and overheat/cook the thing.

I just checked the speaker wire outputs of the factory amp and getting ~ 4,000ohms - almost open circuit, not connected to each other. That leads me to believe they are not wired in parallel. Looks to be a 2-channel amp driving 2ohms each based on that and your photo. Is that wrong?

Re: that photo - Jerry said you can't measure speaker (AC) ohms with a battery powered (DC) meter? Erroneously low reading?

Edit to add photo

View attachment 398505

That makes sense if the amp is two channels, 2ohm at about 40 watts, making the stock sub a 2 ohm DVC at about 80 watts.

At the end of the day, that stock amp is not very powerful and if you have room in the budget and time in your schedule, you should add a mono amp to power that Kicker woofer, or grab a five channel amp to power the sub and four corners.

Reactions: Vtx531
That makes sense if the amp is two channels, 2ohm at about 40 watts, making the stock sub a 2 ohm DVC at about 80 watts.

At the end of the day, that stock amp is not very powerful and if you have room in the budget and time in your schedule, you should add a mono amp to power that Kicker woofer, or grab a five channel amp to power the sub and four corners.

Ya, not very powerful but neither are the factory dash speakers and soundbar. Not sure it would make sense to have a more powerful sub and not have the rest of the speakers amped too. I'd rather avoid going down that road at this point. If you can hear your speakers clearly with the top down on the highway, they must be LOUD...hearing damage loud. But it would be nice to at least have some bass at lower listening volumes.

Reactions: skrelnik
I obtained a used factory subwoofer speaker. I haven't tested it so I'm not sure if it works or not but this is weird...

One voice coil showing 7ohms and one voice coil showing 332 ohms.

DD84E069-45F6-4AEE-A15A-3744DFA13024.jpeg

06463AAA-E28F-4CA7-A8D5-C84EFE814F21.jpeg

I obtained a used factory subwoofer speaker. I haven't tested it so I'm not sure if it works or not but this is weird...

One voice coil showing 7ohms and one voice coil showing 332 ohms.

View attachment 400701

View attachment 400702

It could be blown, bad connections within the speaker or a bad connection with the multimeter.

Tough to say, and I don't have my subwoofer speaker anymore but I did test the 5.25" front which are 4 ohm, but you can see a bad connection can lead to a wonky result.
PXL_20230216_014233431.MP.jpg

PXL_20230216_014315277.MP.jpg

Reactions: Vtx531