Consensus on this throwout bearing

eastbloc

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
This is a 4th National throwout bearing that i ordered from Amazon. All 4 came with this offset to the side.
Timken bearing was offset to the side as well, and fell apart in my hands after opening the box.

Guys, em i being too picky, or em i keep getting defective bearings ... 5 times in a row? Matter of fact 6, if we count defective one that came with LUK kit.
Where do you get yours from? Any place where i can request them to open the box and inspect it before sending it to me?

20190926_152702.jpg

I have yet to see one that isn't offset like that.

Original was centered.
On my previous cars (not jeeps) they were centered as well.

Are you yet to see one that isn't offset like that AND works/worked for many miles without issues?

Got a LuK kit in the garage, the throwout bearing does appear to be somewhat off-center like in your pic. Mine doesn't look like it'd be an issue at all and I plan to install it.

I don't think it is supposed to be offset, but all of these crap aftermarket TOB's are off center... Ive got 15k on my national, which looked just like yours when I installed it. the LUK that came in my kit was also off center.

Ive done a few clutches for friends on TJ's and they used the LUK TOB from the kit. They were all slightly offset and so far no issues.

Got a LuK kit in the garage, the throwout bearing does appear to be somewhat off-center like in your pic. Mine doesn't look like it'd be an issue at all and I plan to install it.

One in my LUK kit was offset a bit as well, i went with it and 1000 miles later it is making typical "wooing" noises of a bearing that is about to go out. That is the reason why i am in search of a replacement.

Reactions: Sierra96
They are frequently like that. But it isn't that big of a deal IF the bearing spins true and smooth. These aren't like a normal bearing that are rigidly held in position inside and out. The inside is loose on the input shaft and the outside is just pushed laterally against the fingers of the clutch, so it actually is worked sideways unlike any normal bearing setup. So that offset you see isn't really an issue. If it grinds or chatters when you spin it then there is a problem.