Considering an XJ or maybe a WK for for my kid

Dan T.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've got a kid turning 16 in the not too distant future.

My wife and I have been thinking of the XJ for the new driver. (Because we think we'd like to drive it as well). May even consider a WK as I've had one 10-years ago.

Anyone experienced enough with these and want to weigh in? (Or just opinionated is fine too :))

I see some decent looking 2wd models on FB for between $2K to $4,500 but haven't gone to physically look at anything yet. I'd probably try to find something +/- 150,000 miles if I decide to get serious.

thanks

Reactions: Starrs
I just missed out on a 2001 with 62k miles for $6500. I wasn’t really in the market for one, but they are so nice I really thought about it. I had one in HS, and it was the best vehicle I could have bought. The 4.0 in them like in the TJ makes them bulletproof. Your kid/you would very much enjoy one.

Reactions: Dan T.
I just missed out on a 2001 with 62k miles for $6500. I wasn’t really in the market for one, but they are so nice I really thought about it. I had one in HS, and it was the best vehicle I could have bought. The 4.0 in them like in the TJ makes them bulletproof. Your kid/you would very much enjoy one.

She likes the looks of them. My company used to give us XJ's back in the day for our company car. I took the car allowance and bought my first TJ. I drove one for a month and it was pretty fun. I recall it didn't have great head room but I'm probably thinking of a different car.

If I get one, I'll at least get to drive it for a few months before I have to turn over any keys to her.

Cool. I was hoping to hear that.

Yep, if you're familiar with the TJ, they aren't too different (the engine is the same). Very reliable, good vehicles IMHO. It's just getting hard to find ones that haven't been beat to piss.

I have one coming next year, a 91' Sport XJ (2-Door version). I look forward to mildly building it, 3" zone, 31's. However, seeing that the 2-door versions are rather rare, I may fix it all up, sell it and try to find another TJ.

Yep, if you're familiar with the TJ, they aren't too different (the engine is the same). Very reliable, good vehicles IMHO. It's just getting hard to find ones that haven't been beat to piss.

I see that. Some fugly looking one's down here but there are a few clean looking one's. I found desert pearl sand color 111K miles that I want to jump on (same as my first TJ) but I'm getting the ole wife & daughter pushback about not liking color. They think there are plenty to choose from LOL.

I have one coming next year, a 91' Sport XJ (2-Door version). I look forward to mildly building it, 3" zone, 31's. However, seeing that the 2-door versions are rather rare, I may fix it all up, sell it and try to find another TJ.
I have a friend working on a 2 door xj with his kid for a school auto shop project. They're really cool.

Reactions: JMT and Starrs
I see that. Some fugly looking one's down here but there are a few clean looking one's. I found desert pearl sand color 111K miles that I want to jump on (same as my first TJ) but I'm getting the ole wife & daughter pushback about not liking color. They think there are plenty to choose from LOL.

Oh yes, gold, bronze, sand, or whatever they call it can be a tough sell ;)

An Xj was the first vehicle I ever bought on my own, and honestly started my whole love of offroading and wrenching. I think it's a perfect first car, taught me a huge amount about basic car mechanics and super simple to work on, plus adequate room for just about everything I needed it for. Didn't take much of a loss turning around and selling it after I went to the Tj either. Also, pretty hard to get in trouble speeding with it!
20170423_163649.jpg

20160704_233547.jpg

Last edited:
My son wanted an XJ for his first vehicle and it’s been a blast to tinker with. 98 w/ 4.0 and 2wd to keep insurance down. Been a great first vehicle to teach him how to do projects with.
B9D2BB41-DC96-4D53-A264-5A16EA6E5AA6.jpeg

just refinished and installed a factory overhead console too.
7B42D1E9-1235-4723-87A7-371E58D2AB71.jpeg

I'm glad to see the WK was never mentioned after the original post.

The XJ would be a great choice. In 1996 my wife said that thing is too square, I need a Grand Cherokee [ZJ] which we ended up buying new. I was happily surprised by how mechanically similar they both were. My happiness increased last year when I bought my TJ.

My oldest daughter has been driving a 99 xj the last 12 yrs and the youngest daughter is in a 2010 Grand Cherokee (wk) I think for the last 4yrs. Its all wheel drive no low range as she doesn't need low , not into offroad..Both have been fairly dependable to a point..

I've owned 3 XJ's. The first was 4 dr. Laredo that I bought new in 1990. The second was a 1995 2 dr. base model. My current one is a 1989 2 dr. Limited that I drive almost daily. I like the early body style (1984-1996) and in particular the RENIX years (1987-1990). They're pretty basic vehicles that are easy to work on and modify to your liking, or not at all. Parts are plentiful, new and used, and like most Jeeps have a good community of enthusiasts. There's a lot to like!

My current XJ ...

18-03-21 1.JPG

My HS senior started with a ZJ last year but it quickly shit the bed. So his new rig is a 96 XJ. 6” lift, Clayton short arm, JKS, 33” BFG M/T’s, 4.56’s, HP30/Dana 44 with auto lockers, chromos, full skid plates, offroad bumpers and a sweet Warn M8000 wired to the dash, dual battery setup...picked it up cheap from a fellow club member. 160k on it and it’s a little rough looking but drives and wheels mint. A/C is ice cold, which makes me jealous, my TJ doesn’t have A/C.

Can’t wait until he ships out to Lackland, so I can drive it, LOL.

Almost all the wheelers in my group have an XJ as a daily or backup wheeler. Awesome trucks. I fully support XJ’s as first trucks for kids. Lol

EDD2CC0F-3BDE-45AD-ADC7-8C4B6DADB4B4.jpeg

They are, but even when you do it seems like the XJ market is much more reasonable than the the TJ market. When I decided last year to get into the 4-wheeling scene I was initially looking at XJs because I've had a few in the past, but the wife insisted on a TJ because she likes the whole no top no doors thing. So, I paid 9.5k for a TJ whereas the comparable XJ market at the time was a few grand less.

Reactions: Chris