Considering ditching my Moabs for 15" wheels...

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay, in the process of upgrading to 285s, I noticed that Goodyear does not make the Duratrac in a 285 in load range C, they ONLY offer it in an E load range.

This got me thinking, will I regret a load range E tire?

If so, maybe what I need to do is get rid of my beloved Moabs and switch to a 15" wheel, which I can then pair with a 33x12.5r15 Goodyear Duratrac, which is a load range C.

I was thinking of pairing them with these Walker Evans 501 wheels in bronze:

wkr_501_dark_satin-bronze_mill_6lug_std_1000_2511-Cloned-43048691022893516.jpg

My thought is that those might look good being as though my Jeep is Khaki. What do you think?

These have a backspacing of 3.779", plus the addition of the 12.5" wide tires, so about how much do you guys think it would stick out past the 4.25" factory Rubicon flares (remember, Rubicon flares are 1" wider than non-Rubicon flares).

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
you are soooooo out of control...I love it and am envious you can do this. I can't get myself to splurge on my toy vehicles and I have the spare coin to do it....some day I am going to leave my kids a bunch of money for them to enjoy.

BTW those wheels will look great on ur Rubi!

Oh man, I love those wheels, that would look killer on your jeep! I love the look of Moabs as well but not at the point that they force one to run an E load tire. That will beat you up I bet

Reactions: Chris
you are soooooo out of control...I love it and am envious you can do this. I can't get myself to splurge on my toy vehicles and I have the spare coin to do it....some day I am going to leave my kids a bunch of money for them to enjoy.

BTW those wheels will look great on ur Rubi!

I really am out of control haha, I just can’t contain myself. I also don’t have a bunch of toys like you (this is the only one), so it’s easier to justify!

Reactions: cliffish
Oh man, I love those wheels, that would look killer on your jeep! I love the look of Moabs as well but not at the point that they force one to run an E load tire. That will beat you up I bet

I agree! I have never used an E load tire, but I hear they are horrible on a light vehicle like a TJ. I’m finding there’s a lot more tires out there for 15” rims too.

Will look good, probably stick out about 2"

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want that or not. I've never been much of a fan of the big tires sticking out past the fender. But with 12.5" wide tires and aftermarket wheels, I probably don't have much of a choice.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want that or not. I've never been much of a fan of the big tires sticking out past the fender. But with 12.5" wide tires and aftermarket wheels, I probably don't have much of a choice.
For reference, I ran a 3.75 bs wheel with a 10.50 tire and standard flares and they were 1.75" past the flare edge.

For reference, I ran a 3.75 bs wheel with a 10.50 tire and standard flares and they were 1.75" past the flare edge.

Oh yeah, that means these are going to stick out considerably. Which also means more bump stop if I plan on sticking with the stock flares, since the tire will no longer be able to tuck up in the flare at all.

Unfortuntely not, only for 16” wheels.
Hmm. Maybe it’s because I have the same heavy bumpers as you, and a heavy winch that my E rated tires arnt that bad at the right psi. You have a hard top too so yours will be even heavier. Either will be fine, but that’s a tad bit wider for sure.

Hmm. Maybe it’s because I have the same heavy bumpers as you, and a heavy winch that my E rated tires arnt that bad at the right psi. You have a hard top too so yours will be even heavier. Either will be fine, but that’s a tad bit wider for sure.

What’s odd is that I had 285 Duratracs on my old black Rubicon, which were also E rated. I don’t remember them being bad at all. Quite the contrary, I remember them being very nice to drive on

I have 3.75 backspacing and 12.5 inch tires. The tires stick 4 inches past the fenders. So with your rubi fenders I would guess your looking at 3 inches.

Reactions: Chris
Didn't you just tell me yesterday when I asked the same question how you loved your Moab wheels and would not swap them out? hahahahaha

Reactions: tomtaylz
I agree! I have never used an E load tire, but I hear they are horrible on a light vehicle like a TJ. I’m finding there’s a lot more tires out there for 15” rims too.

I currently have E range tires on my 16" Moabs, they are not "horrible", but definitely stiffer than C range tires.

Reactions: Night Hawk