Considering replacing Trucklite Knock-off LEDs with H4s

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I recently installed a pair of the Amazon Trucklite knock-off LEDs headlights in place of the woefully poor LEDs the PO installed. I love the bright white, the forward pattern is fine. I have them adjusted well so no issues with oncoming drivers.

However...
  • They have a hot spot 'high and outside' that illuminates the trees directly overhead, and it bothers me;
  • I am concerned about the lack of heat to melt snow and ice.. NE winter is coming
  • I really prefer the look of H4s over the LED look (although I am keeping the LED tail lights)
  • I am going to add front aux lights and prefer the look of a traditional reflector, and (I think) I want to do yellow
So, partly issues with function and partly aesthetics. TJ is my DD.

I had a set of IPS H4s in one of my JKs and like them. Hella & KC are obvious options. Any others I should look at?

H4 housings (good quality ones) and a harness upgrade with good quality LED bulbs will be the best setup for the TJ as far as lighting goes. Period. Yes, the LEDs won't require a new headlight harness, but it doesn't hurt

The above mentioned Toyota package comes with everything, glass lenses, halogen bulbs and relay harness for $70 Canadian, likely $50 US. I am happy with mine.

Reactions: Ephry73
You may want to replace the bulbs with different ones, but it is still a bargain. The bulbs that come with the kit are ok, just not white (if that is your preference)

Local dealer has his kit for $41.88. I’ve wasted $40 in worse ways so I’ll pick up a set to try them.

No reason not to use the harness if it gives me a greater selection of bulbs to choose from, but not sure I understand the wiring …. Does the harness require a dedicated switch or will it retain the stock headlight switch? I don’t have the multi function wand in my 2000 but I don’t want to add another switch nor do I want to defeat the stock switch.

I used original Cibie housings with Hella bulbs on my 1980 Scout II and Toyota 1985 FJ60. Wonderful set up. They were E codes, with a sharp vertical cutoff to the left and a rising flood to the right. Extralegal in Texas for a long time, OK now.

Currently, Valeo makes a copy, the 7" round units being part number 82440. A variety of specialty shops sell them or you can get 'em on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DQV88Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Pricey but worth it for the light - I'm 73 and can't see in the dark any more. The Hella 2.0 bulbs are only about $20 a pair.

There are a few threads about the Toyota/Koito H4 kit. Posted my impressions in those, but for the sake of future searches, I'll post it here as well. There are plenty of pattern pics out there so I'll save the band width. Thanks to @Longwhitejeep for posting what I think is the first post on these lights.

I purchased for $45.58 out the door (no shipping needed).

Picked them up yesterday and installed them them last evening. My very early impressions...

The Good:
  • As others note, the kit is a steal for the price. Complete with a bag of way-to-many zip ties.
  • Build quality is great. Glass is crystal clear. I like the flat lens.
  • Beam pattern is what I remember from the IPF housings I had. No dead spots like the LEDs had. Sharp upper cutoff with a clean rise for the right-side ditch illumination. The LEDs were spotty with bright spots where there shouldn't be and plenty of dead spots. I did a rough alignment and coverage with this kit is a nice smooth, even wash of light where it should be and nothing where it shouldn't. I need to adjust them both up a bit..
  • Install was plug-n-play.. bulbs were already installed. Pop out the old and in with the new. It's a one-banana job.
  • Stock bulbs ran warm enough to remedy my concerns of ice/snow buildup on the cooler running LEDs. That's a real problem here in the NE. Problem solved. That said, the polycarbonate lens of the LEDs were less susceptible to cracking and chipping than the glass. I've got a set of Lamin-X clear protection film so no worries about chipping
  • Though I like the LED technology the look of the H4 lenses is more period correct for a 20+ year old vehicle
The Bad:
  • The bulbs that come with it are woefully dim compared the TruckLite knockoffs. I have a set of Hella 100/80s in transit from Q-Tec which should be measurably brighter so this is a manageable issue
  • Same goes for the color. If I hadn't turned them on with only one installed alongside the LEDs it might not have been so painfully obvious, but the color is almost yellow. After driving with them for a bit the color difference began to wear off and I know there are tons of bright white H4 bulb options, but I fear the ones I bought from Q-Tec might not be the solution
  • I did a rough alignment but still have one spot where the overlap is leaving it dim. The side-to-side adjusters in my buckets might be shot, so once I fix that I should be good.
  • The end fittings on the harness are definitely too small to fit over the battery terminals. An easy fix.
The Ugly:
  • The high beams... ugh. Hard to tell just how bad they are with less than an hour of seat time and the stock bulbs, but the high beam is not great. It begs for a set of auxiliary lights, which I haven't installed yet.

For less than $50 plus a a few pennies of gas and tire wear to pick them up, these are a bargain worth spending on. The harness alone, high quality and complete, is worth nearly that much. Since mods are never really DONE, I'll have some fun experimenting with bulbs once the harness is installed. No solution for the high beams, though I use them so infrequently it isn't a big deal for me.

After a second round of alignment, any dead spots I was seeing are all but gone. Plan is put the harness in this weekend and then the brighter Hella 100/80 H4 High Wattage bulbs purchased from Q-Tec while they were on sale for $2.23 each.

There are a few threads about the Toyota/Koito H4 kit. Posted my impressions in those, but for the sake of future searches, I'll post it here as well. There are plenty of pattern pics out there so I'll save the band width. Thanks to @Longwhitejeep for posting what I think is the first post on these lights.

Picked them up yesterday and installed them them last evening. My very early impressions...

The Good:
  • As others note, the kit is a steal for the price. Complete with a bag of way-to-many zip ties.
  • Beam pattern is what I remember from the IPF housings I had. No dead spots like the LEDs had. Sharp upper cutoff with a clean rise for the right-side ditch illumination. The LEDs were spotty with bright spots where there shouldn't be and plenty of dead spots. I did a rough alignment and coverage with this kit is a nice smooth, even wash of light where it should be and nothing where it shouldn't. I need to adjust them both up a bit..
  • Install was plug-n-play.. bulbs were already installed. Pop out the old and in with the new. It's a one-banana job.
  • Stock bulbs ran warm enough to remedy my concerns of ice/snow buildup on the cooler running LEDs. That's a real problem here in the NE. Problem solved. That said, the polycarbonate lens of the LEDs were less susceptible to cracking and chipping than the glass. I've got a set of Lamin-X clear protection film so no worries about chipping
  • Though I like the LED technology the look of the H4 lenses is more period correct for a 20+ year old vehicle
The Bad:
  • The bulbs that come with it are woefully dim compared the TruckLite knockoffs. I have a set of Hella 100/80s in transit from Q-Tec which should be measurably brighter so this is a manageable issue
  • Same goes for the color. If I hadn't turned them on with only one installed alongside the LEDs it might not have been so painfully obvious, but the color is almost yellow. After driving with them for a bit the color difference began to wear off and I know there are tons of bright white H4 bulb options, but I fear the ones I bought from Q-Tec might not be the solution
  • I did a rough alignment but still have one spot where the overlap is leaving it dim. The side-to-side adjusters in my buckets might be shot, so once I fix that I should be good.
  • The end fittings on the harness are definitely too small to fit over the battery terminals. An easy fix.
The Ugly:
  • The high beams... ugh. Hard to tell just how bad they are with less than an hour of seat time and the stock bulbs, but the high beam is not great. It begs for a set of auxiliary lights, which I haven't installed yet.

For less than $50 plus a a few pennies of gas and tire wear to pick them up, these are a bargain worth spending on. The harness alone, high quality and complete, is worth nearly that much. Since mods are never really DONE, I'll have some fun experimenting with bulbs once the harness is installed. No solution for the high beams, though I use them so infrequently it isn't a big deal for me.

After a second round of alignment, any dead spots I was seeing are all but gone. Plan is put the harness in this weekend and then the brighter Hella 100/80 H4 High Wattage bulbs purchased from Q-Tec while they were on sale for $2.23 each.
Wait until you put in the harness and see the difference with the stock halogen bulbs. ;)

Reactions: drivincar67
I don't see how I could ever go back.. My wife drives a 5th gen 4runner with halogen lights that should be high quality being they are oem on Toyotas flagship SUV.

After driving my LJ with trucklite knockoffs, I have to look at the 4runners headlight switch to see whether I'm running headlights or just the parking lights.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Wait until you put in the harness and see the difference with the stock halogen bulbs. ;)
I hope you’re right
I don't see how I could ever go back.. My wife drives a 5th gen 4runner with halogen lights that should be high quality being they are oem on Toyotas flagship SUV.

After driving my LJ with trucklite knockoffs, I have to look at the 4runners headlight switch to see whether I'm running headlights or just the parking lights.
the LEDs have a truly sub-par pattern. Throwing light all over the place. Can’t think of any reason to light the underside of the trees directly overhead. Can’t say yet whether this kit will be better.. have to get the right bulbs in (still have the LEDs) but what I can say is the pattern is far better.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Koito h4 kit and some high wattage hella bulbs. I’ve had actual trucklites for about two years and I don’t love them. I’ll take some comparison shots and post them. The trucklites are too bright for me when the high beams hit reflective highway signs (maybe not too bright but too blue-it strains my eyes) and the low beam pattern is spotty.

The Good:
The Bad:
The Ugly:

I've got Busdepot lights, which are pretty much Cibie's. The 55/ 60 watt bulbs didn't do much good, but when I installed 100/ 80 watt bulbs they became great. It seems like every time I order something from Quadratec I wind up a few dollars short of free shipping, so I add a couple 100/ 80 bulbs to the order. I've probably got a half dozen of them.
I can't see with the white with blue tint 6000 degree LEDs. I can with the Halogens. They do look yellow compared to the LEDs, but I can SEE with them. Hopefully you will too.
For Auxiliary lights you might look at the Hella 500 series. A two light kit comes with a wiring harness for about $70.

If your considering yellow fog lamps I got a pair of 5 inch led lamps off of amazon with covers for 100 bucks that looked tasteful for a 20 year old vehicle. I used a translucent vinyl wrap and covered the covers with it and now I have the choice of yellow or clear driving lights. The vinyl wrap is about 10 bucks on amazon also or you could have a shop do it and get more options on color.

Had time tonight to install the harness and the Hella 100/80’s. Major improvement and that is with $2 bulbs! Much brighter, but no white. Truth told, I can live with them as they are. I’m happy.

The harness took about fifteen minutes to install. I did a hack job with sorting the extra wires…. I’ll fix it tomorrow.

When changing bulbs, can you guys remove the bulb with the reflector in place? My mitts are too big to negotiate the back of the reflector to remove the bulb while the reflector is installed.

If your considering yellow fog lamps I got a pair of 5 inch led lamps off of amazon with covers for 100 bucks that looked tasteful for a 20 year old vehicle. I used a translucent vinyl wrap and covered the covers with it and now I have the choice of yellow or clear driving lights. The vinyl wrap is about 10 bucks on amazon also or you could have a shop do it and get more options on color.
.,..I can't see with the white with blue tint 6000 degree LEDs. I can with the Halogens. They do look yellow compared to the LEDs, but I can SEE with them. Hopefully you will too.
For Auxiliary lights you might look at the Hella 500 series. A two light kit comes with a wiring harness for about $70.
I don’t have issue with the white LED color and candidly I don’t have issue with the tungsten colored H4s note that they are satisfying my desire for brighter.

I think I want the KC two-light bar that bolts on the front bumper, with two for or five inch lights..
I have a roll of the yellow light film. I’d rather do that than buy yellow lights (unless I buy yellow bulbs) so I can undo the color if I tire of it. I don’t think I want LEDs for the aux lights. I want to keep them looking period correct and a close match to the headlights.

Last edited:

The Good:
The Bad:
The Ugly:

Do the 80/100s pull more juice than the wiring and connectors can take? Will it fry anything?