Considering replacing Trucklite Knock-off LEDs with H4s

The original factory wiring is designed for a 55/60 watt bulb. So yes, the 80/100 watt bulbs use more power. If you install the supplied harness from the Toyota kit, you will be fine.
I replaced my old/original lenses with some from Hella and put in some 80/100 H4s from Hella as well. I wasn’t thinking about the increased draw until I my wife ( who is an electrical engineer) made me aware of my perhaps error. It’s been over a year and the Jeep still has headlights

I replaced my old/original lenses with some from Hella and put in some 80/100 H4s from Hella as well. I wasn’t thinking about the increased draw until I my wife ( who is an electrical engineer) made me aware of my perhaps error. It’s been over a year and the Jeep still has headlights
I'm not saying that you'll burn your Jeep to the ground, But because you're running more amperage through the wiring than it was designed for, it could cause a problem. Especially since the factory does not have fuses in the circuitry.
I originally did the same thing. But after reading several threads on Multi Function Switch failures, I decided to add a harness so that I was only running a few amps through it instead of the amperage required for those bulbs. It's a simple enough mod, so I figured "Why not".

Do the 80/100s pull more juice than the wiring and connectors can take? Will it fry anything?
Looking back at the IPFs I had in my JK... I swapped out the lower wattage bulbs that came with the IPF housings in favor of 100/80's and in short order I found the connectors to the factory harness melting away.

And that was on a 2011 JK. Could only imagine what our 20+ year old harnesses would do.
Yeah.. the lights may still be working but it's possible the connectors or just about any stretch of the stock harness could be compromised or about to be. Ounce of prevention..

I can't see with the white with blue tint 6000 degree LEDs.
Nobody can, they just believe they can. But seeing is believing they say. Yea well the world is full of optical illusions and we all can look at something and think we see all sorts of things. The ideal color for distance vision with the human eye (not perceived vision) in a headlight is 4,000K. Unfortunately halogens arent capable of 4,000. Pumping more power through a good one can get up to 3,500K or 3,600K which is pretty close but comes at the expense of shorter bulb life. Some manufacturers claim to get that high, or higher, but they are using a blue coating which makes the light look whiter to the eye (and increases perceived distance vision) but reduces the bulbs performance below a lower wattage uncoated bulb.

Last edited: