Console and Glove Box Locks

PCO6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Has anyone had new keys made for their console lid and glove box ... when they DON'T have a key for them that works? My LJ came with a damaged console lid and no lock. The glove box has a lock but my ignition/door key doesn't work in it. I suspect it's not the original door. I've tried to pick up a used matching pair with a key for several months now but so far no luck.

I'm hoping if I can at least pick up a console lid with a lock I can get everything reset so they can operate on the same key. Has any one had this done? I know the dealership can reset door locks ... just not sure about the console and glove box.

That's good to hear. Hopefully they can do the glove box too. When I took the door locks for a set of half doors I picked up in to a few locksmiths they wouldn't touch them and sent me to the dealership. It was a pretty straight forward job for them and the cost was reasonable so it worked out.

X2 to what Jerry said. Any good locksmith should easily be able to do this.

If you remove the lock mechanism from the console lid and take it to a competent locksmith, he should be able to rekey it to match your ignition switch key.

How exactly do you do that? For the glove box I mean. I have been seaching the net for 3 hours. Been poking xacto knife blades and paperclips into every place I can think of and been trying to rotate the cylinder beyond its stops while poking, prying, cursing, you name it. I have spent enough time researching to learn how to rekey the thing myself but nobody seems to say how to remove the cylinder.

IMG_20181212_223037.jpg

IMG_20181212_223115.jpg

IMG_20181212_223118.jpg

IMG_20181212_223123.jpg

IMG_20181212_223128.jpg

Depending on how much a locksmith would charge versus how much you'd be willing to do it yourself rekeying shouldn't be difficult. At least the console lock is easy to remove/install, but to match it up you would want to remove the lock cylinder on the steering column as well and examine the pins to see what numbers they are. For those two alone you're only looking at maybe an hour's worth of work that can be done pretty much entirely with basic tools.

I found a couple posts on other forums on how to remove the glove-box lock though, that one I don't have any experience with, but I did recently replace my lock cylinder on the steering column and remove the console lock recently as well (all within the past two weeks):

GLOVE BOX LATCH AND HANDLE
(1) Remove the glove box from the instrument panel. See Glove Box in this group for the procedures.
(2) From the inside of the glove box door, remove the four screws that secure the glove box latch and handle to the glove box door.
(3) Remove the latch and handle from the glove box door.
(4) Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.).
GLOVE BOX LOCK CYLINDER
(1) Remove the glove box latch and handle from the glove box. See Glove Box Latch and Handle in this group for the procedures.
(2) Insert the key into the glove box lock cylinder.
(3) Insert a small screwdriver into the retaining tumbler release slot and depress the retaining tumbler (Fig. 17).
(4) Pull the lock cylinder out of the latch handle by using a gentle twisting and pulling action on the key.
(5) Reverse the removal procedures to install.

1544721162719.png

I also know that for the console you need to replace the metal ring (escutcheon?) around the lock. They are crimped on so the old one won't be any good to reuse.

Rekeying, as you've looked up, is really easy in and of itself to replace the wafer pins. I have never done any lock work in regards to rekeying anything and I was surprised at how quickly I got the whole job done with no experience.

How worn is your main ignition key? The only key I got with mine was pretty worn and it would not work in the console lock, which I thought was bad. About a year later, I had to replace the ignition cylinder lock. Once I figured out the lock wafer sequence to "program" the new ignition lock cylinder, I had a locksmith cut me a new key using the wafer code sequence. Low and behold this new key worked in the center console lock, so it my not necessarily be the lock that is defective.