Contrasting top colors (not black)

bcjones1017

So I am a 8 month TJ owner and began looking for a hard top for the winter. I decided on going with a white top on a black 99 Sahara. I think it looks awesome. Before I bought it I searched for pictures and very few results came back. Here’s a picture of it. I still have lots of work to do but the white top on black is a good start for me. Thoughts? Anyone else have something contrasting with body color? Black doesn’t count.

IMG_5930.jpeg

So I am a 8 month TJ owner and began looking for a hard top for the winter. I decided on going with a white top on a black 99 Sahara. I think it looks awesome. Before I bought it I searched for pictures and very few results came back. Here’s a picture of it. I still have lots of work to do but the white top on black is a good start for me. Thoughts? Anyone else have something contrasting with body color? Black doesn’t count.

View attachment 468300

While not a hard top, my black LJ came from the factory with a gray soft top per the build sheet. Currently sporting a black hard top but I've been pondering other colors. I quite like the look of the dark khaki on black, but apparently that color combo was typically offered with khaki interiors.

Inspiration from the interwebs....

Dark Khaki on Black:

2D97CEEF-93E3-416B-AC23-D5E2CDF86709.jpg

Gray on Black:

yXFy2hll_jpg.jpg

Spice on Black:

90DBCD89-E690-4972-88B6-3E2ACCE7874D.jpeg

Reactions: jeepguyOC
This is just my opinion obviously but I feel like the blacks and greys are universally applicable, wheres as the spice and white really need a particular color scheme to go with it. I would say Spice with Khaki or Green, and white with a white Jeep. However I still wouldn't run that last combo. I never liked white vehicles, maybe a classic motorcycle but not a car. And too much color matching of fenders and top makes it look like a JL.

I’d paint it OEM Black, but it’s your Jeep and you get to make it what you want!

This is just my opinion obviously but I feel like the blacks and greys are universally applicable, wheres as the spice and white really need a particular color scheme to go with it. I would say Spice with Khaki or Green, and white with a white Jeep. However I still wouldn't run that last combo. I never liked white vehicles, maybe a classic motorcycle but not a car. And too much color matching of fenders and top makes it look like a JL.
I disagree the spice looks good on most colors. it goes good on red, green, black ,blue and can even make those ugly ass white jeeps ( that should only be driven by a woman going shopping and NEEDS a cargo rack ) look decent !

Last edited:
I disagree the spice looks good on most colors. it goes good on red, green, black

I mentioned to a friend shortly after picking up my black LJ earlier this year that I thought this color combo was under-represented in the TJ series. I think it's sharp but really needs a khaki/camel interior to go with. I'm less partial to the gray top (though the one I posted looks pretty good). My interior is slate gray (?) so not sure how the dark khaki or spice would work. Wanted to break up the blackness and also reduce the heat buildup a little.

Reactions: tr21triton