Control arm bracket bent

chessjeep3000

04 TJ 4.0L, stock as far as I can tell. 30.5” tires. Owned it for 6 months.

Skidded out in the snow into a curb with my front passenger wheel/tire. My front passenger lower control arm got pretty bent. The Jeep now pulls to the right and to go straight I have to keep the wheel at 10-10:30. From looking straight on it seems like the passenger wheel is now “toe out” a bit.

I’m assuming I need a new lower control arm bracket welded on in place of the bent one. After that I’m assuming I‘ll be good after checking the tie rod length and drag link.

I’ll probably go with Barnes on the replacement bracket. Other than also checking tie rod and drag link when done, any other key things to check? The wheel got bent so I’ll probably swap that for the spare for now. I was also in 4wd at the time, about 10-20mph my guess. I’ll probably have a 4x4 shop check out the transfer case.

do a steer test under power, be sure nothin is wigglin around.
Barnes brackets work same as most others, but tend to be less expensive. hole location below center tube and from center tube is whats critical to match the other side. or do both.

bow in driver side spring may suggest some lift without an adjustable track bar, possibly.

Artec industries also sells HD brackets
I read a few complaints on here about Artec mounts reducing ground clearance because of their steeper angle. I plan on keeping stock height so that's a concern. Are Barnes or Iron Rock superior? Just want to double check.

Reactions: jjvw
I read a few complaints on here about Artec mounts reducing ground clearance because of their steeper angle. I plan on keeping stock height so that's a concern. Are Barnes or Iron Rock superior? Just want to double check.
I wasn’t aware the artec mounts reduce ground clearance. I’ve seen other members go with Barn. First time hearing about Iron rock.

maybe I'm being paranoid (this is my first jeep and need to fix the brackets). I'm likely just going to go with Rubicon Express's RE9991/RE9993 (though as I understand it the brackets are identical for driver/passenger).

maybe I'm being paranoid (this is my first jeep and need to fix the brackets). I'm likely just going to go with Rubicon Express's RE9991/RE9993 (though as I understand it the brackets are identical for driver/passenger).
I don’t really trust anything rubicon express for that reason I’ll rather go with Barnes.
Edit: Go with iron rock. I read a forum right now and they have the best clearance.

Last edited:
I just had the same damage that you have, i.e., a bent lower passenger side control arm mount and a bent track bar. I think my damage was worse than yours although the Currie control arm was not bent. The steering wheel was off center nearly 180 degrees. I just used a BFH and hammered the bracket back into shape. It doesn’t look perfect but I think it is perfectly serviceable. I was going to replace the brackets with the Artec parts but the reshaped bracket seems good enough. I was a little concerned about welding new brackets on and potentially warping the axle tube. I replaced the track bar with a new Moog part. Everything seems to be fine now.

do a steer test under power, be sure nothin is wigglin around.
Barnes brackets work same as most others, but tend to be less expensive. hole location below center tube and from center tube is whats critical to match the other side. or do both.

bow in driver side spring may suggest some lift without an adjustable track bar, possibly.
If he uses the Iron Rock lower mounts, all you do is center punch a row of dots on the inside of each outer part of the existing mount so you have side to side location, then cut all the old one off taking care not to cut into the shock mount. Line it up with the two rows of dots, rotate it up to touch the shock mount, perfect every time. I've done many of them exactly like that and I don't care what the IRO mounts cost, they are worth it.

If he uses the Iron Rock lower mounts, all you do is center punch a row of dots on the inside of each outer part of the existing mount so you have side to side location, then cut all the old one off taking care not to cut into the shock mount. Line it up with the two rows of dots, rotate it up to touch the shock mount, perfect every time. I've done many of them exactly like that and I don't care what the IRO mounts cost, they are worth it.
never heard of them, is this them in MN?

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/universal-lower-control-arm-brackets-tjljxjmj.html
i like shopping smaller outfits and usually have better luck than the "Jeep parts superstores" that just peddle everybody else's crap.

speaking of which, anybody notice AtoZ is trying to get back in the game, they have a new web site, but i don't think it's quite finished yet.

never heard of them, is this them in MN?

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/universal-lower-control-arm-brackets-tjljxjmj.html
i like shopping smaller outfits and usually have better luck than the "Jeep parts superstores" that just peddle everybody else's crap.

speaking of which, anybody notice AtoZ is trying to get back in the game, they have a new web site, but i don't think it's quite finished yet.
Yes, and I know nothing of A-Z. Relatives of Zach's maybe?

Relatives of Zach's maybe
IDK, but i'ma try and put a call into them next wk and see if they are up and runnin.
i thought i remembered you mentioning the passing when it happened.

and again i don't mind helping support smaller local/regional or family owned enterprises when i can.

Follow up for future folks. Had the old mounts cut off, iron rock offroad mounts welded on, replaced the front lower control arms with Crown stock-like ones. Along with aligning and wheel balance and tire rotation, was out the door for $670, excluding parts which I ordered myself. Put the damaged but possibly salvageable rim on the spare. Might be a premium but I’m happy with it. I don’t have Jeep friends or many tools or the time myself. Thanks for the help. These forums have been great for me.

Reactions: Ocho
Follow up for future folks. Had the old mounts cut off, iron rock offroad mounts welded on, replaced the front lower control arms with Crown stock-like ones. Along with aligning and wheel balance and tire rotation, was out the door for $670, excluding parts which I ordered myself. Put the damaged but possibly salvageable rim on the spare. Might be a premium but I’m happy with it. I don’t have Jeep friends or many tools or the time myself. Thanks for the help. These forums have been great for me.
Have you got pictures of the new mounts on the axle?