Control Arm Replacement

MeanGreen86

Buy once, cry once
Supporting Member
While my lj was in the transmission shop they found this nice crack in my passenger front lower control arm mount. They did a great job of welding it back together but I’d like to replace both of them regardless. I’ve ordered new brackets and the control arm skids. I would call myself a competent welder but I keep reading mix things about whether or not you need to prep (heat) the axle. There’s plenty of threads on here about the bracket to use but I cant seem to find any tips on prepping the axle. Welder is a 220 Miller.

Thanks
eVUoGjo.jpg

You can weld directly to the axle tubes without any issue (no preheat). The pumpkin is a different story since it's cast.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
While my lj was in the transmission shop they found this nice crack in my passenger front lower control arm mount. They did a great job of welding it back together but I’d like to replace both of them regardless. I’ve ordered new brackets and the control arm skids. I would call myself a competent welder but I keep reading mix things about whether or not you need to prep (heat) the axle. There’s plenty of threads on here about the bracket to use but I cant seem to find any tips on prepping the axle. Welder is a 220 Miller.

Thanks
View attachment 274759
Burn it it..no problem at all. You might want to stitch weld, just to keep the heat to a minimum so your axle tubes don't turn into pretzels...

Reactions: MeanGreen86